British Speedway Forum
Monarchs2468

World Cup - Wroclaw July 2023

Back to the best format in my opinion but I did prefer it when the semi-finals were at different venues to the race-off/final.

Thought it added some variety to the week, whereas four meetings at the same venue (without a home nation for first three) might get a bit stale by the end.

It was always nice to get behind your country at a local meeting and feel a part of the World Cup week. Also saw some really good tracks like Vastervik and Bydgoszcz that don't come around too often.

• Like 1

Maybe tickets release Monday week, 17th? Cross fingers. 

I still don't understand the logic of why the host nation of the SWC tournament is seeded straight to the final. They should at least enter at the run-off stage, or better even in one of the opening two events, so that the home fans get a chance to see their team more often during the tournament. Just once in the final is not enough and just does not seem right.

21 hours ago, Bavarian said:

I still don't understand the logic of why the host nation of the SWC tournament is seeded straight to the final. They should at least enter at the run-off stage, or better even in one of the opening two events, so that the home fans get a chance to see their team more often during the tournament. Just once in the final is not enough and just does not seem right.

It`s all about guarantying a crowd for the final- We know Poland this year would almost certainly if they were in Semi`s but would we be so confident if the tournament was held in the Czech Rep or Germany ??

Edited by racers and royals

10 hours ago, racers and royals said:

It`s all about guarantying a crowd for the final- We know Poland this year would almost certainly if they were in Semi`s but would we be so confident if the tournament was held in the Czech Rep or Germany ??

Yes, I know the reasoning behind it, but I am not so sure about it. Would not the World Cup final draw a big crowd anyway, regardless of the home team taking part or not? It's the other events and the race-off that suffers from the non-participation of the home team.

WIth the SWC only ever being held in one of the big speedway nations, there would be a good chance, that they would reach the final anyway. The home team would have to ride in at least two out of four SWC meetings, possibly even three if they had to enter in one of the events and go via the race-off, instead of as it is now when they are seeded straight into the final and will only have that one meeting. 

Realistically in the foreseeable future this SWC will only ever be held in Poland, GB, or Denmark, but even if it would come to Germany or the Czech Republic, which is unlikely anyway, this would be no reason to grant the home team free entry into the final. They should be seeded to participate in the tournament, of course, as the home team helps to draw a crowd for any of the meetings, but they should not go straight into the final.  

I'd go for 8 Teams in the SWC tournament, contesting the two events with four teams each. The Event's winners go to the final, the 2nd and 3rd palced teams go to the Race-Off, and the fourth placed teams are eliminated. If the home team is so weak that they finish last in one of the Events, they deserve no better and are certainly not woth to be seed to the final. 

Edited by Bavarian

7 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Jason Doyle has changed his mind about retiring from team Australia and now says he will ride if picked.

This is fantastic news.

Anyone other better options than this for for GB? 

1. Tai Woffinden 

2. Robert Lambert 

3. Dan Bewley 

4. Charles Wright

5. Chris Harris / Danny King

24 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Anyone other better options than this for for GB? 

1. Tai Woffinden 

2. Robert Lambert 

3. Dan Bewley 

4. Charles Wright

5. Chris Harris / Danny King

Personally I would go with Steve Worrall instead of Harris or King

Although I expect it to be mates rates

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Robert Lambert

3. Dan Bewley

4. Tom Brennan/Adam Ellis

5. Anders Rowe/Drew Kemp

I think Poland, Denmark and Australia (Assuming Doyle riding) will be favourites...

1. Bartosz Zmarzlik

2. Maciej Janowski

3. Dominik Kubera

4. Patryk Dudek/Janusz Kolodziej

5. Szymon Wozniak (Not sure if Artem and Emil are allowed to ride for Poland, and if they did there would be a riot)

1. Leon Madsen

2. Mikkel Michelsen

3. Anders Thomsen

4. Michael Jepsen Jensen

5. Rasmus Jensen/Frederik Jakobsen (Wouldn't surprise me if Nicki picked himself if fit)

1. Jason Doyle

2. Jack Holder

3. Max Fricke

4. Chris Holder

5. Nick Morris/Sam Masters/Rohan Tungate/Justin Sedgmen/Jaimon Lidsey (Lots of options)

Just think Britain lack the depth in a 5 man tournament compared to others...

Woffinden, Bewley, and Lambert all ride Wroclaw very well so don't write GB off yet, it's about finding the best of the rest on that particular track.

With no U21 reserve required i expect it to be Brennan, with the 4th rider out of Harris, Ellis, the Worralls, King, although Charles Wright has started the season well

4 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Personally I would go with Steve Worrall instead of Harris or King

Although I expect it to be mates rates

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Robert Lambert

3. Dan Bewley

4. Tom Brennan/Adam Ellis

5. Anders Rowe/Drew Kemp

Hell no!!! 

Ellis and Brennan are my expectation but Wright has started the season very well.