British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Also need a promoter with experience to "assist" (doesn't need to be a co-promoter of the club) I believe, but, obviously, could be both.  I am sure THJ can enlighten us?

Correct Steve,

At present Andrew is the sole promoter however he does have an experienced mentor in a fellow club promoter...

Not sure how well this will go down with the Blue and White faithful but his mentor is none other than Mr Rob Godfrey; Chairman of the BSPL and owner of Scunthorpe Speedway...

Now I know there is a little history between the Comets fans and Rob (in his other roles) but being totally honest; Rob is a straight guy and has the best interest of the sport at heart and will support Andrew 100% in his endeavours; and to be fair he doesn't mind being portrayed as the bad guy as its water off the proverbial ducks back to him and it also contradicts what his better half says about him that he is erm "a big soft erm softie" (edited for politeness)...

Also I can confirm that she is right... another 100% on that score too...

Regards
THJ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mr godfrey has built up scunny a bit like us starting in the lower league moving up when right,hope we can do the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Correct Steve,

At present Andrew is the sole promoter however he does have an experienced mentor in a fellow club promoter...

Not sure how well this will go down with the Blue and White faithful but his mentor is none other than Mr Rob Godfrey; Chairman of the BSPL and owner of Scunthorpe Speedway...

Now I know there is a little history between the Comets fans and Rob (in his other roles) but being totally honest; Rob is a straight guy and has the best interest of the sport at heart and will support Andrew 100% in his endeavours; and to be fair he doesn't mind being portrayed as the bad guy as its water off the proverbial ducks back to him and it also contradicts what his better half says about him that he is erm "a big soft erm softie" (edited for politeness)...

Also I can confirm that she is right... another 100% on that score too...

Regards
THJ 

Rob is a great fella and always tells you as it is most of those who criticise him have never took the time to talk to him .

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Rob is a great fella and always tells you as it is most of those who criticise him have never took the time to talk to him .

Never a truer word said; but to be fair Rob does get a laugh out of it especially when he is portrayed as the "Panto Villain" and he takes the criticism with a pinch of salt but again give the guy his due if the criticism is positive he does listen...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

That's why Justgotmecpc's but plug was leaking cos he was using a 12" round flower pot... one of them clay ones wid the big hole in the bottom... he's a bit special ya kna cos he's from Walka!!!

Regards 

THJ 

" Clay " ya spot on I'd rather knock a clay 1 out rather than a flock of sparrows lol

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Mr godfrey has built up scunny a bit like us starting in the lower league moving up when right,hope we can do the same.

Pity our former owner/ promoter / ex rider never asked Rob for help ( maybe he did but as Frank Sinatra sung ( I did it my way ) & look what happened ) & I still think that THJ had a good plan in the meeting we attended in November 2021 in the south gosforth club & we'd probably be still going & looking forward to the 2023 season imo 

17 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

That's why Justgotmecpc's but plug was leaking cos he was using a 12" round flower pot... one of them clay ones wid the big hole in the bottom... he's a bit special ya kna cos he's from Walka!!!

Regards 

THJ 

Next time you borrow the plug can you return it cleaned please

Not trying to run speedway on a Friday so Mr Godfrey maybe OK with the comets this time round 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Can only help, really hope Godfrey provides an ideal solution to Worky's unfortunate security issues, as Scunny sadly suffered the same at one time.  Speaking as I find, was told 'Rob Godfrey is a right misery guts', he has his critics & I don't agree with everything he says but he keeps his Scunny track at the tapes each season so there's that. Once when chatting re: riding on his track, he offered me the loan of his own leathers (too big) plus we discussed the need to get right up the front on a speedway bike.  He confirmed this advice to be correct with the proviso of also needing to be careful in regard to protecting one's wedding tackle :D....

Edited by martinmauger
added info

On 12/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

O

Yes and no... not trying to be elusive but it will be a Saturday and me personally would like it to be a couple of hours earlier but the consensus seems to be later not earlier (seen your Rugby clashes) and this is to accommodate any locals who may be working a Saturday morning shift... floodlights would definitely make it later... just have to wait and see what transpires after the new year...

Much appreciated :t:

As I indicated, the RL matches aren't until June, so there maybe developments before then. I suspect most would prefer Saturday nights but it will be recognised that lights represent a significant cost. 

I used to love my visits to the Wild West so lights and rugby or not the plan is make the trip a couple of times.

Derwent Park could get pretty cold at times and I daresay Northside will be the same. However, if I do go to Kells RLFC first I will be fully acclimatised as that is the coldest place I have ever watched any form of sport. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Much appreciated :t:

As I indicated, the RL matches aren't until June, so there maybe developments before then. I suspect most would prefer Saturday nights but it will be recognised that lights represent a significant cost. 

I used to love my visits to the Wild West so lights and rugby or not the plan is make the trip a couple of times.

Derwent Park could get pretty cold at times and I daresay Northside will be the same. However, if I do go to Kells RLFC first I will be fully acclimatised as that is the coldest place I have ever watched any form of sport. 

U aint been to lowca yet then,its cold there on a hot summers day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Special gift" tonight (24 Dec) at 5pm:

Edited by StevePark

11 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Running Saturday afternoon could be beneficial for fans who want to take in Berwick after Workington. 

Not sure about that, Berwick is quite a journey from Workington .

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Running Saturday afternoon could be beneficial for fans who want to take in Berwick after Workington. 

117 miles so if it starts at 3 and finishes at 5 pm.Would be impossible to do the 7 pm start time at Berwick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1