British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, H20 said:

Having speedway back is great to look forward to but just reading the posts looking like they are sticking to Saturday's. 

Never understood the reason to run on a Saturday night as to much else going on espessially all the speedway on TV on Saturdays now. It does not keep much keeping speedway fans away if it's on TV to for them to get there fix.

I would not consider the rugby at all and would either run on Friday or Sunday as I think running reguarly on either would get a better crowd than a Saturday night.

Hope it's a huge sucess after all the cost, work and effort put into this project.

4 hours ago, H20 said:

Yeah i've read through the posts and all similar to the reasons previously but the times they have change race night its not a true reflection on what a steady race night would be say on a Sunday or Friday just a simple opinion on why I do not think a Saturday goes against speedway to get the best attendance posible.

It also is affected if people are away for the weekend so Friday or Sunday to me are a no brainer, if it were my business I'd never consider a Saturday at all for speedway. I understand at this level it must be weekends due to age of the lads riding as midweek would be difficult.

Its also supposed to be family entertainment; somewhere to take the kids; So 7:30 on a Friday night may not be ideal for families as its in from school then back out again with the kids after a week at work for the parents; then likewise on a Sunday (day/night) as daytime Sunday lunch (if any one has that these days) and night-time its school the next day!!! so are you just thinking of yourself here as to what suits you sir (ooooh suits you sir!!!) as a Saturday morning or late afternoon doesn't really impinge on much for the locals; they can come and watch their Speedway with the kids then go and do the Football or the Rugby in the afternoon... when it was the other way round I know quite a few guys who used to come to the speedway after watching either sport but often missed due to the drinking culture so you only seen them when either sport was away from home... 

Jenga comment just landed in and this covers his thoughts as well...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jenga said:

Are there any speedway teams running on a Saturday afternoon and has there ever been speedway anywhere  ? i hope its not a failure running  meetings on that day @ 3pm ish .

Linlithgow used to race on a Saturday afternoon in the 90's as did the Dale Devils in the 00's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never been the biggest fan of afternoon racing esp on hot sunny days but will be there rain or shine and work allows just hope a few more like me feel the same,plenty of people off the big red bus been asking when the comets are starting again allways bang the drum for it,might be worth a free ticket me bain :rofl:

• Like 3

Used to love watching him lay down on the straights to try and go faster,i was the pit gate boy when he knocked alan cowland off his bike when returning back to pits as he said himself he was going too slow,read ian's book for the double vision tale a classic ,rip steve a comets hero:t:

seen Steve now and again on the Distington/Lowca cycle path , he always said hello . but didnt stop to talk cos he was training for runs coming up . RIP  Steve 

11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Its also supposed to be family entertainment; somewhere to take the kids; So 7:30 on a Friday night may not be ideal for families as its in from school then back out again with the kids after a week at work for the parents; then likewise on a Sunday (day/night) as daytime Sunday lunch (if any one has that these days) and night-time its school the next day!!! so are you just thinking of yourself here as to what suits you sir (ooooh suits you sir!!!) as a Saturday morning or late afternoon doesn't really impinge on much for the locals; they can come and watch their Speedway with the kids then go and do the Football or the Rugby in the afternoon... when it was the other way round I know quite a few guys who used to come to the speedway after watching either sport but often missed due to the drinking culture so you only seen them when either sport was away from home... 

Regards
THJ

Half of Championship clubs ride on a Friday night, so they see that as the best for meetings. However, that means the need for lights, a not inconsiderable expense.

Speedway rarely runs on Saturday afternoons, probably because that is prime time for leisure, particularly participation and spectator sport.

Saturday nights - like Fridays - require lights. 

Sunday afternoons would run directly against Workington Town RLFC, the towns most popular spectator sport. My suspicion is that speedway fans would also come from Whitehaven, so there would be direct competition with that towns RL team. 

None are absolutely ideal but my preference would be Saturday night - even allowing for the necessity of lights. That is, after all, Workington's more traditional race night, and moving away from that can be an absolute disaster - ask Poole or Sheffield about that one. Alternatively, if it is possible to coordinate with Workington Town and run speedway when the rugby team are away, that maybe a solution that could work to the benefit of both clubs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Totally understand the thoughts both ways but unfortunately speedway does not pull in young fans like it used to no more unless parents drag them there away from there playstations. Other clubs run midweek without a problem so a Friday or Sunday would be better than Saturday, like I say speedway with the amount of GP's now the speedway of nations and the Euro Champs all on a Saturday on TV fans will stay at home and watch speedway esspesially if the weather is poor. 

People attending weddings or party's even going away for a night its generally always a Saturday so why go against all that without a need to. Because Workington have always ran on a Saturday does not mean its still the right night.

Me personally im just glad speedway is returning so whenever it runs i'll be there but I know other that won't attend regurally, my thoughts were if it were my buisness I would definately move away from a Saturday as I think more fans would attend which will be better for the club.

And as for running on a Saturday afternoon that would be a huge mistake, Reds getting much better crowds (depends on how much their seasons overlap) than Town were so it would be Sundays at a worst case for me.

Reds football season will finish at the beginning of May, speedway will probably start at beginning of may due to only having 6/ 7 home league meetings, then reds start again mid August by which time speedway league meetings will be about finished, then if in playoffs or ko cup these could be arranged to avoid a clash with the reds,

I know people are debating right or wrong with Saturday afternoon, but can we keep positive and look forward to the rebirth of the comets and back Andrew Bain and co in this venture ( I have no connection with them ) UTC

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Neila said:

Reds football season will finish at the beginning of May, speedway will probably start at beginning of may due to only having 6/ 7 home league meetings, then reds start again mid August by which time speedway league meetings will be about finished, then if in playoffs or ko cup these could be arranged to avoid a clash with the reds,

I know people are debating right or wrong with Saturday afternoon, but can we keep positive and look forward to the rebirth of the comets and back Andrew Bain and co in this venture ( I have no connection with them ) UTC

Totally agree I'm not being in any way negative I'm deligted speedway is returning but I also want it to be really successfull and stay running. 

My opinions are only my own and it's just a buisness reason I give them as I will be able to attend most meetings unless I'm away, I just do not see a Saturday as the best buissnes decision here. Far to much else going on esspesially speedway on TV and I've alway thought this even when the Comets had decent crowds I alway thought they would be more on a Friday or Sunday night given a long enough run at it to get the regulars adjusted to it. A fresh start they are no regulars to get adjusted.

Take away the no lights issue .  then we have Friday will be a no go as some of the comets or away  side will be riding in the championship, so can't ride for 2 teams on the same night, and mr Godfrey does not like Workington to run on Fridays :unsure: Sundays are when a lot of the under 21 etc meetings are ran, so some of the riders may be missing from home or away team, so that leaves Saturday afternoon,  so roll on the new season UTC give us a C    

Edited by Neila
  • Like 1

The other issue with running an NDL team on another day/night is what if your riders are being used by Championship teams due to a fixture clash... they the champ team will take preference and then we will need to have guests or run with r/r.... there is more than one factor to take into consideration other than the "best suits me" scenario.... my first choice would be Saturday 19.30 under lights... then a Monday same time would you believe but neither are doable at present... so it will be what it will be and if that impacts one or two fans I'm sure it will open doors for one or two others...

As the Bishop said to the actress it's gonna be a case of "just suck it and see what happens"...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 3

While it aint nobody's business but the new promoter's, the red herring of 'no floodlights' isnt really relevant for a list of six or seven fixtures, is it?   

The sun doesnt set in Cumbria until well after 9pm in the summer months -- so there's 16/17 weeks in May, June, July & August to run evening meetings.......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

While it aint nobody's business but the new promoter's, the red herring of 'no floodlights' isnt really relevant for a list of six or seven fixtures, is it?   

The sun doesnt set in Cumbria until well after 9pm in the summer months -- so there's 16/17 weeks in May, June, July & August to run evening meetings.......

It isn't just the sunset time either where the track is located was another issue... there are many factors to take into account (and have been) when looking at the day to run on and the time to start... consideration had to be given to people walking to the track which is difficult in broad daylight let alone in any twilight... it ain't located on any main well lit road that is for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It isn't just the sunset time either where the track is located was another issue... there are many factors to take into account (and have been) when looking at the day to run on and the time to start... consideration had to be given to people walking to the track which is difficult in broad daylight let alone in any twilight... it ain't located on any main well lit road that is for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

Were you ever at Berrington Lough?