British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

Just as I expected Connor misses out on being a track reserve at Cardiff - https://britishspeedway.co.uk/miscellaneous/cardiff-line-up-complete/

Vatcher's lovechild's Rowe and Edwards selected ahead of the British Under 21 Champ :rolleyes:

Would be better off going to represent Australia and focusing on developing in Wroclaw than dealing with that clown

The last bit of the article explains it though doesn't it? 

Edited by Bagpuss

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Does it? Didn't see Rowe or Edwards beating a path to be in the British champs either or stand there as track reserves. When was Bailey asked? If it was on the initial list due to be ing U21 champ then he should have taken his place, if it was after other first choices had turned it down then he has every right to tell them to poke it. Same goes for SGP2, if he felt he wasn't ready or financially not set he has every right not to take up the option,  just goes to show the nonsense that Vatcher pours into British speedway every year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It doesn’t no, it gives one half of the story, and throws Connor under the bus.

Typical of the previous nonsense that has been spouted by Vatcher and the GB setup in the past.

Here’s the true dignified other half of the story which I always believed would come out…

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=786236593502653&id=100063489579982

“Having recently become U21 British Champion and riding as well as I ever have, it’s very disappointing that I haven’t been offered a reserve spot at the upcoming Cardiff SGP. 

Furthermore, I feel I need to directly address the statement made by British Youth boss Neil Vatcher on the official British Speedway website earlier today, where it quoted Mr Vatcher as saying the following:

“British Under-21 Champion Connor Bailey was also amongst the riders considered; however, after he turned down opportunities to represent Great Britain in the recent FIM Speedway of Nations 2, and to ride in the British Final, the decision was taken to select Anders and Jason.

For clarity, I was asked to be the reserve at SoN 2 behind Dan Gilkes and Anders Rowe, both of whom I had beaten to the U21 title a couple of weeks earlier. Aside from the logistical and commercial challenges of getting to Latvia, riding at reserve would not have guaranteed that I saw much action. 

Regarding my invite to participate in the British Final, this invite was received at 9PM the night before the event, when I was away celebrating my 21st Birthday. Up until this point no one had mentioned to me that I might be considered for a spot in main lineup of the final. Had I had more notice of this, I would have jumped at the chance!

It saddens me greatly that these two instances appear to have brought into question my commitment to speedway and have impacted my chances of taking one of the reserve spots at the Cardiff SGP in what would have been an incredible experience. 

Meanwhile, I would like to wish Anders and Jason the best of luck at the event.”

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like as normal, if your face does not fit with the southern mafia you won't get picked. Even if you are the GB U21 champion 

22 minutes ago, Neila said:

Looks like as normal, if your face does not fit with the southern mafia you won't get picked. Even if you are the GB U21 champion 

He had chances and turned them down  nothing to do with North of south

11 minutes ago, Binman said:

He had chances and turned them down  nothing to do with North of south

Very late notice when you are enjoying your 21st birthday,  or a young kid and mechanic going half way over Europe for a reserve place at mostly your own expense!! 

What would your response be if you were asked??

It’s the typical GB speedway set up,it’s really a”boys club”.Conner is having good season and like he said at Plymouth the other night  he’s enjoying himself,I wouldn’t let the” we need you to make up the numbers decisions”bother him his time will come.IMO.

ps

Good luck too Anders and Jason,they are both good prospects.

6 minutes ago, Neila said:

Very late notice when you are enjoying your 21st birthday,  or a young kid and mechanic going half way over Europe for a reserve place at mostly your own expense!! 

What would your response be if you were asked??

Get yourself to Manchester PDQ forget Europe

• Confused 1

I personally think he should have gone to Latvia. Getting half cut the night before the British Final for his 21st and then being asked at the eleventh hour is perhaps a bit different. But turning down a chance to represent your country isn't the best idea if you want to be a Cardiff reserve I suggest. 

There's obviously far more going on with Vatcher than I'm anywhere near privy to going by the comments on various threads so I'll stay out of that part of the argument. 

12 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I personally think he should have gone to Latvia. Getting half cut the night before the British Final for his 21st and then being asked at the eleventh hour is perhaps a bit different. But turning down a chance to represent your country isn't the best idea if you want to be a Cardiff reserve I suggest. 

There's obviously far more going on with Vatcher than I'm anywhere near privy to going by the comments on various threads so I'll stay out of that part of the argument. 

As far as I understand it, he would have had to pay for all his expenses (fuel to get there and back being the main one), plus time to get there and back, just on the off-chance of getting a ride.  Therefore, you have to sympathize with him on that one.   As someone pointed out after withdrawing from the British Final, all speedway riders are self employed and have every right not to ride in these types of meetings, if they so wish.  You can see it from both angles, but I think I have to agree with Connor Bailey here.  Whilst it is an honour to ride for your country, should you have to pay for that privilege ??

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StevePark said:

As far as I understand it, he would have had to pay for all his expenses (fuel to get there and back being the main one), plus time to get there and back, just on the off-chance of getting a ride.  Therefore, you have to sympathize with him on that one.   As someone pointed out after withdrawing from the British Final, all speedway riders are self employed and have every right not to ride in these types of meetings, if they so wish.  You can see it from both angles, but I think I have to agree with Connor Bailey here.  Whilst it is an honour to ride for your country, should you have to pay for that privilege ??

Given Vatcher's history in dragging these kids half way around Europe and not giving them a sniff at a heat when named as reserve I would have done the same thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

NO you shouldn't.  All 3 should have expenses, preferably all expenses but if not all a good proportion. Bailey, as under 21 British champ should have been in the team at the start, at least for the first race or two, then depending on performance. Couldn't some sponsorship be rustled up to give the kids a chance, or have you got to be rich before you can develop.                                               

Same thoughts with no 17 and 18 at Cardiff, no 17 should be under 21 brit champ and no18 2nd in under 21.Stops any arguments and gives the youngsters some encouragement.

A big management mistake in my opinion.

• Like 1

Also I've read that conner Bailey is serving his apprenticeship with allied vehicles/Ford so may not have been able to get time off work !! Remember at the start of the season no one wanted conner apart from worky comets 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Also I've read that conner Bailey is serving his apprenticeship with allied vehicles/Ford so may not have been able to get time off work !! Remember at the start of the season no one wanted conner apart from worky comets 

So, as an apprentice he wouldn’t be earning a big, so where does he get the money from to try to Latvia and back, plus other cost …… like a mechanic!  Another sign that British speedway is a waste of time for youngsters who want to get to the top. He needs to get regular rides in Poland.

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

He needs to get regular rides in Poland.

Conner riding for Wroclaw U24 side, and has ridden most of the season, even though he was only expecting to ride a couple of meetings 

• Thanks 1