British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

BIRMINGHAM Speedway Directors have been made aware of a published schedule regarding greyhound meetings at Perry Barr in 2024.

Club bosses will be meeting with a representative of the greyhound company next month and will be making no further comment at this moment in time

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

I don,t think Brum would need to drop down a League.

So has British Speedway sunk so low that Birmingham (or anyone else for that matter) could not put a 7 man team together to race on Sundays ?, remember they would have the pick of British based riders.

It's the opposition having to do the same too...

League 2 and 3 is Poland is full of Div 2 Heat Leaders who would simply be  unavailable...

Brum having seven Brits good enough to build a team with, all without Polish contracts, wouldnt be achievable I would suggest as other teams will also be using the same riders in their septets..

Add in guestfest after guestfest due to every team no doubt having a rider in Poland, and very quickly that business model would collapse..

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It's the opposition having to do the same too...

League 2 and 3 is Poland is full of Div 2 Heat Leaders who would simply be  unavailable...

Brum having seven Brits good enough to build a team with, all without Polish contracts, wouldnt be achievable I would suggest as other teams will also be using the same riders in their septets..

Add in guestfest after guestfest due to every team no doubt having a rider in Poland, and very quickly that business model would collapse..

So is Speedway in this country cream crackered , I know for a fact that some of the people that are still trying to get Cradley back on track prefer to race on Saturday evenings, would that have the same issues as Sunday ?.

Edited by heathen52

The greyhounds as a business are in survival mode and are doing everything to generate revenue and maximise profits. Speedway on the other hand……

52 minutes ago, Deano said:

The greyhounds as a business are in survival mode and are doing everything to generate revenue and maximise profits. Speedway on the other hand……

Maybe you will hear the same story from bham dogs as what been said at wolves,  that the shale on the track as caused more injuries to the dogs. So why is it that bad now? And the track in places is far away to what it was years ago, and they did not moan then like they are now. Just a thought deano?

50 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Maybe you will hear the same story from bham dogs as what been said at wolves,  that the shale on the track as caused more injuries to the dogs. So why is it that bad now? And the track in places is far away to what it was years ago, and they did not moan then like they are now. Just a thought deano?

Getting rid of tenants so they have an opportunity of a seamless sell off further down the line, with no legal challenges...?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, heathen52 said:

So is Speedway in this country cream crackered , I know for a fact that some of the people that are still trying to get Cradley back on track prefer to race on Saturday evenings, would that have the same issues as Sunday ?.

Saturday nights are fine as flights on Sunday morning.. 

Leicester ran with decent crowds at Div 2 level on Saturdays..

19 hours ago, heathen52 said:

The words from Laurence Rogers on the "Speedway Tavern" podcast last night was it would be announced within 24 hours watch this space, so I took him at his words, I have even listened back to the podcast and for sure thats what was said.

Stop being a "Keyboard Warrior" and go to the pits and ask him :D

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2023 at 5:21 PM, guitar_art said:

So for those interested Laurence Rogers will be a guest on tonights Speedway Tavern (can be found on facebook and youtube). It will be interesting if any of the recent critics of Mr Rogers will put in an appearance to ask questions. This can be done via our dedicated shoutbox, facebook and youtube pages. You can even phone in if you so choose at no cost to yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/speedwaypodcast

Interesting that you'd come on here to advertise your podcast (which is excellent by the way) only to slag us off on it... thanks!

"Only in Speedway!"

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, heathen52 said:

...So has British Speedway sunk so low that Birmingham (or anyone else for that matter) could not put a 7 man team together to race on Sundays ?

When did Birmingham last track a 7-man team on ANY day of the week?

Mondays and Fridays were historically the race night at the old PB. I have a recollection Wolves used to ride on a Friday in the 70s so we had Mondays?. 

Obviously Monday is out as its PL protected. I think Friday would be out as too many Friday tracks already. 

I'm not convinced Sundays would be that popular to be honest. People commuting to work in the Conurbation and who may go to Villa, Blues or WBA or shopping Saturdays probably not keen on going in to City again on a Sunday. 

Beginning and end of season direct competition with footy and in summer Cricket. 

Lots to do outside the City in more rural surrounds on a summer Sunday too. 

Finally, if an afternoon you have to deal with another whinging sizable minority "the dust merchants". 

I think it unlikely that the City Planners would sanction a permanent Sunday race day at Perry Barr. They would be amenable to a change of race day, but only on a weeknight.

Saturday's are currently the only night when public greyhound racing is staged at the stadium (with a crowd!) 

4 hours ago, uk_martin said:

When did Birmingham last track a 7-man team on ANY day of the week?

At home 1st match of 2022 I think, not sure if they had a full team away since then.

Edited by mc131
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Mondays and Fridays were historically the race night at the old PB. I have a recollection Wolves used to ride on a Friday in the 70s so we had Mondays?. 

Obviously Monday is out as its PL protected. I think Friday would be out as too many Friday tracks already.

Could depend on how many teams are in the league, despite there being 4 Friday tracks, there's very rarely more than two Championship meetings on a Friday. Of course that could change if clubs race twice home & away next season.

Plymouths raceday has historically been Fridays , apparently had to move to mid week as too many teams on a Friday