British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

True although have crowds ever been at the required 1000 level? Never went during the Prem era but certainly don't recall those figures when there was a good NL side. 

A 20% crowd increase would be amazing for any track but the reality is that could see crowds of 600 at Brum. Doubling the crowd size (a full 100% increase) seems a daunting task for any promotion 

They'll never get the 1,000 crowds that have been talked about. My thoughts are if they're only getting 300-500, hopefully now they'll get 350-550?

54 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You might regret that comment on Thursday morning.!

Not really I expect nothing more than a home win come Wednesday.

6 hours ago, the hobbit said:

I went to Kent yesterday. I’ve never seen such sn unusual  arrangement with different start snd finish lines. 
with the refs box in line with the start line, how does he judge close finishes like the one you referred to from yesterday? 
I was sat mid way between the start snd finish line snd I had absolutely no idea who had won that race so how on earth did the ref call it from even further back! 

I was on the back straight in line with the finish and I thought that Pearson had just pipped Morley. But at the end of the day it didn't really matter as Kent rammed home 4 5-1's in the last 4 heats. I'd agree with @Sings4Speedwaythat Pearson looked good as a first time visitor but there must be some reason why he's not able to produce that form in the Championship.

5 hours ago, Come on the Skipper said:

I was on the back straight in line with the finish and I thought that Pearson had just pipped Morley. But at the end of the day it didn't really matter as Kent rammed home 4 5-1's in the last 4 heats. I'd agree with @Sings4Speedwaythat Pearson looked good as a first time visitor but there must be some reason why he's not able to produce that form in the Championship.

Because the Championship is incredibly harder than the NL. Just look at the scores of several doubling up riders, many NL heat leaders struggle in the Champ.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Because the Championship is incredibly harder than the NL. Just look at the scores of several doubling up riders, many NL heat leaders struggle in the Champ.

Whilst only one showing Pearson was on a par with Morley for a decent part of the meeting and given he had never seen the track before that was impressive. Ben is a 4-5 point CL rider and theres no reason to think that Pearson couldn't be too. His gating was alright but perhaps just not physical enough in the first corner? 

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst only one showing Pearson was on a par with Morley for a decent part of the meeting and given he had never seen the track before that was impressive. Ben is a 4-5 point CL rider and theres no reason to think that Pearson couldn't be too. His gating was alright but perhaps just not physical enough in the first corner? 

I think your observation is spot on!

He's got a lot of potential, but he would benefit from 'building' his physical strength!

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think your observation is spot on!

He's got a lot of potential, but he would benefit from 'building' his physical strength!

Well, he wasn't called 'Little P' for nothing! I stood near him at the P&P day last year, and he only came up to my shoulder.

The trouble with him this year was that, like others in the team, he seems to have lost his gating skills.

10 hours ago, *JJ said:

Well, he wasn't called 'Little P' for nothing! I stood near him at the P&P day last year, and he only came up to my shoulder.

The trouble with him this year was that, like others in the team, he seems to have lost his gating skills.

From a pretty reliable source, I don't think there was to much help and advice coming from the more senior riders, and that is vital for youngsters trying to make there way in the Sport, personally I think they were probably to busy trying to sort out there own issues.

Apologies for hijacking the team thread but coming down in July for the speedway and will be making a 300 mile round trip. Wanted to set off early and make a whole day in the Birmingham area and need something to occupy the family (got a six year old to keep happy), zoo, theme park etc until tapes up within a reasonable distance from Perry Barr if anyone can help.

49 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Apologies for hijacking the team thread but coming down in July for the speedway and will be making a 300 mile round trip. Wanted to set off early and make a whole day in the Birmingham area and need something to occupy the family (got a six year old to keep happy), zoo, theme park etc until tapes up within a reasonable distance from Perry Barr if anyone can help.

If you or the 6 year old are interested in railways then I can recommend the Severn Valley Railway although it is not as cheap as it used to be.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

There is the Sealife Centre in the city centre. It'd take about 30-40 mins to get to perry barr from town (quicker if no traffic). There is also a children's farm at Sandwell Valley and in the adjoining park there is a large play area. There are also lakes and an rspb area in Sandwell Valley that you can walk around. You'd be at Perry Barr in about 10 mins from here.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

If you or the 6 year old are interested in railways then I can recommend the Severn Valley Railway although it is not as cheap as it used to be.

You should've seen the wife's face when I said your recommendation. Love trains mate 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2023 at 2:08 PM, Cast1rn said:

Cadbury World is in Birmingham - https://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/