British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

I have to make a slight correction to one of Nigel's comments - the meeting was NOWHERE NEAR "packed", although it was fairly well attended.

7 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

I have to make a slight correction to one of Nigel's comments - the meeting was NOWHERE NEAR "packed", although it was fairly well attended.

You have to compare it to other weeks.

I’d like to know why the council lease the land to a property builder/speculator, then question why they want to build houses. I didn’t realise the greyhounds were sub-letters too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

You have to wonder how long Nigel can keep throwing money at it.It’s commendable but seems to be going nowhere financially.

As I posted on the match thread the Gate looked better on Wednesday. 

I'd always estimated 450 to 500 each week and the article writer said 600 on Wednesday which would seem about right visually. 

Nigel said he needed 1000 to break even which we've had a handful of times since the Masons came and through to now. 

Average over CL era at PB probably 500 ish

He must be forking out 50 to 70k a year to support the Club. I know he has an established business but bloody hell that's a lot of badges. 

He's done all he can, as did David and Peter Mason. 

With doubts about Stadium it must be like continually filling up your petrol tank and driving round with the sump plug missing. 

For his own health and welfare I doubt anyone could complain if he walked away. 

It's sad but even with Coventry and Cradley closed we've probably only gained 50 regulars judging on their old colours and doubt we'd attract many from Wolves of they closed. 

Sums up the current state of the sport. 

Only realistic hope I believe is for BV, Ipswich Sheffield, Poole, Oxford, Glasgow who seem solvent or fundable to form a new league and any remaining including some threatened with closure to lok at a hybrid lower CL / upper NDL model eg Berwick, Edinburgh, Redcar, Scunny, Leicester, KL, Workington, and hope Wolves and Plymouth Brummies, Mildenhall, Kent can hang on somehow (sorry if missed anyone out) 

Edited by HGould
clarity
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

As I posted on the match thread the Gate looked better on Wednesday. 

I'd always estimated 450 to 500 each week and the article writer said 600 on Wednesday which would seem about right visually. 

Nigel said he needed 1000 to break even which we've had a handful of times since the Masons came and through to now. 

Average over CL era at PB probably 500 ish

He must be forking out 50 to 70k a year to support the Club. I know he has an established business but bloody hell that's a lot of badges. 

He's done all he can, as did David and Peter Mason. 

With doubts about Stadium it must be like continually filling up your petrol tank and driving round with the sump plug missing. 

For his own health and welfare I doubt anyone could complain if he walked away. 

It's sad but even with Coventry and Cradley closed we've probably only gained 50 regulars judging on their old colours and doubt we'd attract many from Wolves of they closed. 

Sums up the current state of the sport. 

Only realistic hope I believe is for BV, Ipswich Sheffield, Poole, Oxford, Glasgow who seem solvent or fundable to form a new league and any remaining including some threatened with closure to lok at a hybrid lower CL / upper NDL model eg Berwick, Edinburgh, Redcar, Scunny, Leicester, KL, Workington, and hope Wolves and Plymouth Brummies, Mildenhall, Kent can hang on somehow (sorry if missed anyone out) 

The sport is in a perilous state regarding future of so many Clubs difficult too envisage what going to be the future even as early as next season. 

4 hours ago, Deano said:

I’d like to know why the council lease the land to a property builder/speculator, then question why they want to build houses. I didn’t realise the greyhounds were sub-letters too.

Is it not the greyhounds that have got the lease?  I know they use to have it

4 hours ago, Deano said:

Are you sure that's who the lease was agreed with? From memory, the original lease was with the GRA, and has been sold on perhaps several times. No different to buying / selling leasehold houses.

Be interesting to see what happens when the lease expires. The local ward councillors oppose the plans for housing.

That said, Perry Barr is a Lib-Dem ward in  Labour controlled city, and adding hundreds more potential Labour voters could turn Perry Barr into a Labour ward at the next election. It's a dirty and murky old world, that of politics. Nothing would surprise me.

24 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

That said, Perry Barr is a Lib-Dem ward in  Labour controlled city, and adding hundreds more potential Labour voters could turn Perry Barr into a Labour ward at the next election. It's a dirty and murky old world, that of politics. Nothing would surprise me.

What if the new householders are all Lib-Dem voters? :lol:

1 hour ago, SSL84 said:

Is it not the greyhounds that have got the lease?  I know they use to have it

It says in the article the company with the current lease.

taken from the article:

As for the council's stance regarding the future of Perry Barr Stadium, a spokesman said: "The city council owns the freehold of the Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium, while the Corbally Group are the long-term leaseholders – so any redevelopment on the site must be agreed with the council as the landowner and through its planning process, in line with local and national policy.

Edited by Deano

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Are you sure that's who the lease was agreed with? From memory, the original lease was with the GRA, and has been sold on perhaps several times. 

Exactly my thoughts, but see my post above with text taken from the article 

9 hours ago, Petecc said:

You have to compare it to other weeks.

With respect, it still could not be classed as "packed".

14 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Just shows you the current state of British speedway if 600 is classed as packed. 

18 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Just shows you the current state of British speedway if 600 is classed as packed. 

Dunno, could depend on what size the folk were?,,, chuck a few salad dodgers in and it might look fuller.

It probably seemed  'packed' to Nigel since he took over!?