British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

56 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

I see that Glasgow have just signed Vadim Tarasenko on an assessed 5.00 average. Would it have been beyond Birmingham's wit or imagination (or finances) to have made that signing first? Morris and Nielsen need replacing or are we just happy to plod along with guests to the end of the season?

Yes its time Nielsen was shown the door even a 2 pointer would be better than what he is producing at the moment, as for a Morris replacement your guests so far have been your top points scorer in most of your meetings, which is an improvement on what Nick was scoring.

I think Plymouth will win there last 2 home meetings against Edinburgh and Berwick we also have Berwick and Birmingham away so we still have a fighting chance of sixth we won’t get anything at oxford Tommorow so it’s going to be a fight to the end for the last playoff spot.the Birmingham meeting could be key after they beat us down here so the aggregate point could end up being crucial.

Edited by Mike0310

37 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

your guests so far have been your top points scorer

That's a sad state of affairs but surely the fans want a 7-man team of their own, don't they?  Something that they've only experienced two or three times in a 2-year period.

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

I see that Glasgow have just signed Vadim Tarasenko on an assessed 5.00 average. Would it have been beyond Birmingham's wit or imagination (or finances) to have made that signing first? Morris and Nielsen need replacing or are we just happy to plod along with guests to the end of the season?

You could bring in Leon madsen if you wanted on assessed 8.00 if you wanted on the current rules to replace Morris.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

You could bring in Leon madsen if you wanted on assessed 8.00 if you wanted on the current rules to replace Morris.

Didn't Leon get an average riding for Poole? So would need to be smarzlik or dudek instead :rofl:

• Like 1

I am pleased to read that NT didn't try and defend the diabolical performances of 5 of our riders on Wednesday.
He must be fuming ..... I can only compliment his passion and commitment.
It's because of this that I still will attend.....
Paradoxically, his anger/dismay is a positive, that's come out of a negative!
I can see that NT is determined to get Bham speedway right..... I believe that 'next' season we will have a team that will give us something to shout about!
The damage this season was done with the selection of the starting 7....
I'm hopeful.

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2

Nigel tolley can be as angry as he wants but the problem is he built a shocking team in the first place. I've said this before but everyone on this forum said that the team was poor at the start but he said on various podcast stating it was a play off challenging team. I mean we can all see it, why couldn't he? Let's hope they return to the tapes next season with a different team building structure. Go for some kids like Dan T, Max P, Drew K etc and actually get some heat leaders that are fit and reliable. It's not about winning the league, it's about hope. You can always back a team full of youth with some experienced pros at the top. A rough example 

1. Howarth 2. Bowtell 3. Sedgmen 4. Dan T 5. Harris 6. Kileen 7. Perry.

Won't league but lots of things to be positive about!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DiveBomb said:

Nigel tolley can be as angry as he wants but the problem is he built a shocking team in the first place. I've said this before but everyone on this forum said that the team was poor at the start but he said on various podcast stating it was a play off challenging team. I mean we can all see it, why couldn't he? Let's hope they return to the tapes next season with a different team building structure. Go for some kids like Dan T, Max P, Drew K etc and actually get some heat leaders that are fit and reliable. It's not about winning the league, it's about hope. You can always back a team full of youth with some experienced pros at the top. A rough example 

No. 1: Pickering!

• Like 3

Very easy to get angry at riders but ultimately it is Tolley who is tracking them in the first place, yes he trusted team building to a delusional wally but still had ultimate sign off. As covered Sedgy did ok, hard to be hard on Hagon and Bowtell's form has been badly affected by Morris leaving. 

Starke and Nielsen shouldn't be anywhere near the league currently (both good servants but time has caught up with both) and Batch is Batch, its hardly a shock that he is woefully inconsistent in both scores and attitude.  Great that Tolley has the passion, just hope he has the brain to go with it next season.

12 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Bowtell's form has been badly affected by Morris leaving. 

Genuine question why would Nick Morris leaving have affected Alfie's form? Something definitely has, but he escapes too much criticism due to his early season form/scores.

25 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Genuine question why would Nick Morris leaving have affected Alfie's form? Something definitely has, but he escapes too much criticism due to his early season form/scores.

I believe he and Nick got on reasonably well at a racing level and the advice / setup info that was being passed on previously probably isn't now. Don't think Alfie has ever lacked ability on a bike just sometimes falls short on the setup side (still 100 times better than Bomber though) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

ultimately it is Tolley who is tracking them in the first place, yes he trusted team building to a delusional wally

Hopefully it won't be too long before Tolley qualifies for his own promoters license and the guy whose license the club is built around can be shown the door. THEN a team might get built properly, maybe even with 7 regular riders. You never know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I am pleased to read that NT didn't try and defend the diabolical performances of 5 of our riders on Wednesday.
He must be fuming ..... I can only compliment his passion and commitment.
It's because of this that I still will attend.....
Paradoxically, his anger/dismay is a positive, that's come out of a negative!
I can see that NT is determined to get Bham speedway right..... I believe that 'next' season we will have a team that will give us something to shout about!
The damage this season was done with the selection of the starting 7....
I'm hopeful.

Last year Tolley said they had a play-off team, this year Tolley said they had a play-off team. Maybe he rates some riders too highly, or underestimates opposition teams. But most considered Birmingham has a weak team signed this year.

If I was a Brummies fan, I'd take any talk of a play-off side with a pinch of salt & just be happy to have a club to support. Hopefully enough fans feel that way to keep the club alive?

10 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

How do you know that team won't win the league? We don't know the points limit yet!