British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should the OAP discount be scrapped?

How can you take this away from the vast majority of your fan base 

On 11/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, screm said:

How can you take this away from the vast majority of your fan base 

I think the promoters are "wising up" to this fact, and now are basing their income projections on the concessionary admission levels. From that point of view, if the OAP discounted admission charge is "the new normal" then perhaps the question can be turned on its head...and you can ask "why should people of working age be penalised with excessive admission charges to be able to go to watch the speedway?"  Can't wait to hear from the "Speedway's a £10 sport" brigade. :party:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

I think the promoters are "wising up" to this fact, and now are basing their income projections on the concessionary admission levels. From that point of view, if the OAP discounted admission charge is "the new normal" then perhaps the question can be turned on its head...and you can ask "why should people of working age be penalised with excessive admission charges to be able to go to watch the speedway?"  Can't wait to hear from the "Speedway's a £10 sport" brigade. :party:

Perhaps all us oaps should be killed off  to paraphrase  as Scrooge  said avoid all the controversy we cause 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Perhaps all us oaps should be killed off  to paraphrase  as Scrooge  said avoid all the controversy we cause 

...perhap's "Logan's Run" had some disturbing messaging? If I recall once you reached the age of forty (?) you were "eliminated" (can't remember the exact phrase used?)

Edited by steve roberts

16 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...perhap's "Logan's Run" had some disturbing messaging? If I recall once you reached the age of forty (?) you were "eliminated" (can't remember the exact phrase used?)

It is a human right for the government to for the greater benefit of the rest to do away with oaps.  Financial benefits would be enormous.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wealdstone said:

It is a human right for the government to for the greater benefit of the rest to do away with oaps.  Financial benefits would be enormous.  

...I say to my aging mother that she and her like are a burden on society and cause tremendous financial strain despite her generation getting the country back on its feet after the Second World War. But seriously It makes me angry when  some people condemn the aged and, yes, there are some who are very well off but there are many struggling with finances and life generally especially during these uncertain times.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

In Logans run when a person reached the age of 21 they were willingly executed via a pleasure-inducing toxic gas. 
Guess speedway folk would recognise that as the aroma of burning Castrol R40

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I say to my aging mother that she and her like are a burden on society and cause tremendous financial strain despite her generation getting the country back on its feet after the Second World War. But seriously It makes me angry when  some people condemn the aged and, yes, there are some who are very well off but there are many struggling with finances and life generally especially during these uncertain times.

If pensioners are well off it is because  they did not have a feeling of entitlement only bought things when they could afford them and lived  within their means

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

In Logans run when a person reached the age of 21 they were willingly executed via a pleasure-inducing toxic gas. 
Guess speedway folk would recognise that as the aroma of burning Castrol R40

Think you'll find it was 30 and called rebirth on the carousel.

Edited by Bendonebunching
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bendonebunching said:

Think you'll find it was 30 and called rebirth on the carousel.

To be exact. In the original novel folk were killed off “voluntary” in a sleepshop via a nice gas at 21. 
This was changed in the spin off film where the population were despatched via the carrousel at 30.
Whichever age is adopted, both actions would see the removal of the majority of todays speedway supporter. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wealdstone said:

If pensioners are well off it is because  they did not have a feeling of entitlement only bought things when they could afford them and lived  within their means

The "Must Have Now" society that we live in, is the reason why the national debt per person is so high, we cannot go on passing this debt down to future generations, sometime or other this debt has to be paid, people are going to die with credit card debts.

If we ran our household budgets like the government does its finances, we would all be out on the street.

As a pensioner I am only reasonably comfortably off, because I scrimped to buy my own house, and now don't pay rent. People moan about interest rates. when I had a mortgage it, at one time  went up to 15%.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BV66 said:

The "Must Have Now" society that we live in, is the reason why the national debt per person is so high, we cannot go on passing this debt down to future generations, sometime or other this debt has to be paid, people are going to die with credit card debts.

If we ran our household budgets like the government does its finances, we would all be out on the street.

As a pensioner I am only reasonably comfortably off, because I scrimped to buy my own house, and now don't pay rent. People moan about interest rates. when I had a mortgage it, at one time  went up to 15%.

Totally right although  I blame the countries sense of entitlement rather than the government. 

• Like 3

Berwick have taken the decision to remove any concession payments by putting the walk up admission price set at £20.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1