British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RoundTheBoards

Arena Essex fan on BBC

Did anyone see this on BBC1?

Some lad wearing a shirt made up of pictures of an Arena Essex racejacket, Trackstar fork cover, and a Speedway Star logo.   Think he said his name was Ole something?

He said something about being a competitor in a "Roo Paul Drag Race" (??).         (Looking at him I'm guessing this is something to do with people in women's drag rather than actually being drag racing).

Whatever it is, it said it was coming on BBC iplayer soon.

arena.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is Olly Alexander and the show is Ru Paul's drag race. I'd say it's just a random top given by a stylist. Funnily enough it's just a stretched out photo of Martin Goodwin from an old speedway star Dw8WaolWsAIxGMW.thumb.jpg.3f0746eeab168b8dc85777128dff0dcb.jpg

• Like 1

Done a bit more investigating.

The programme is apparently from BBC3 and it is called "Ru Paul's Drag Race UK".    It seems to be a really vulgar version of X-Factor for Pantomime Dames, but without any singing.  

The lad in the speedway top appears about halfway through as some kind of judge.

I wouldn't watch it, but it's here:    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001f7cl/rupauls-drag-race-uk-series-4-episode-9

Perhaps the BBC and the BSPL are testing out “Subliminal Messaging”. If your local track is packed out with men in drag not really understanding why they are there… we know why.:t:

On 11/19/2022 at 10:05 PM, Triple.H. said:

Shouldn't the programme be called Danny La Ru Pauls drag race

Think you'll find Ru Paul is an updated version of Danny La Rue - has DLR been seen on mainstream television since the 1970's? - a bit like Speedway itself

On 11/20/2022 at 11:06 PM, Andy Downes said:

Think you'll find Ru Paul is an updated version of Danny La Rue - has DLR been seen on mainstream television since the 1970's? - a bit like Speedway itself

Think old Danny passed away about ten or fifteen years ago. He ued to live not far away from me when I was in London late 60's early 70's. If you saw him in the shops or the pub he was just a regular guy. Think some people in those days assumed he wore drag all the time. 

It's a sin is well worth a watch !

Edited by jrs