British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

Is the end nigh?

A worrying article on a Polish website about FIM supporting the need to halve the emissions from speedway by 2030, and then eliminate them entirely by 2040. It sounds like it has the general support of our current SGP overlords too.

https://przegladsportowy.onet.pl/zuzel/zuzel-fim-wydal-szokujacy-komunikat-z-zuzla-ktory-znamy-nic-nie-zostanie/fdbjr3n

Hopefully it'll go the way of most of these commitments, but the vultures are circling I think, and we're probably not the only motorsport.

Sad.

Edited by JCookie

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Electric® Eyewear | Electric

Wonderful eh? I wouldn't open my curtains to watch electric speedway in my back garden.

• Like 3

Think it is better to have electric speedway, than no speedway at all

Quite honestly, as long as the racing is close i couldn't care less what is powering the bikes

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Wonderful eh? I wouldn't open my curtains to watch electric speedway in my back garden.

Such a narrow minded view. Granted it won’t be the same, but to go from enjoying speedway (as I presume you do if you’re on this forum) to not watching it in your ‘back garden’ just because the bikes are electric is a bit crazy. What have you got such a big problem with that you’d completely flip like that? Noise? Smell?

All motor sports will need to evolve over the coming years, and speedway is no different. If the bikes need to be electric, so be it, I will still be watching (admittedly while no doubt reminiscing of the past).

• Like 1

It could well in the Uk, also open up new urban stadia t the sport.

Whatever we might think, noisy motorsports are under threat. Stock cars included. And Greyhounds are also looking more and more like they are on the way out

16 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Such a narrow minded view. Granted it won’t be the same, but to go from enjoying speedway (as I presume you do if you’re on this forum) to not watching it in your ‘back garden’ just because the bikes are electric is a bit crazy. What have you got such a big problem with that you’d completely flip like that? Noise? Smell?

All motor sports will need to evolve over the coming years, and speedway is no different. If the bikes need to be electric, so be it, I will still be watching (admittedly while no doubt reminiscing of the past).

That's your opinion, just like I have mine, not sure why you feel the need to call it narrow minded.

I'm not old enough to have followed speedway back in the 70/80s, so I don't know what it was like back then to compare, but it's still broadly the same sport as now.

Electric speedway would be completely different. I do enjoy the noise I have to say. The smell has pretty much gone in recent years. I just enjoy that speedway is pretty much a raw motorsport and I'd rather it stayed that way. Maybe I'd change my opinion if/when it happens but I'm not sure.

• Like 2

This was actually a press release by Discovery, just to de bunk this, at no point did they say they would want to get rid of methanol or that the end was nigh. They said they wanted the whole SGP circus to be more sustainable, transport, logistics and the meetings themselves. 
They are aiming for net zero by 2040, not zero emissions. Which means they would have to contribute on some way to offset their carbon levels. 
They also said that methanol is one of the least polluting fossil fuels, but they can improve things further. To me, having seen the statement from source in English, it’s more to do with carbon levels associated with meetings. Flying, trucking gear around from one end of Europe to another. And can they make it work so they’re doing less miles by say making rounds happen in a logical order geographically. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

This was actually a press release by Discovery, just to de bunk this, at no point did they say they would want to get rid of methanol or that the end was nigh. They said they wanted the whole SGP circus to be more sustainable, transport, logistics and the meetings themselves. 
They are aiming for net zero by 2040, not zero emissions. Which means they would have to contribute on some way to offset their carbon levels. 
They also said that methanol is one of the least polluting fossil fuels, but they can improve things further. To me, having seen the statement from source in English, it’s more to do with carbon levels associated with meetings. Flying, trucking gear around from one end of Europe to another. And can they make it work so they’re doing less miles by say making rounds happen in a logical order geographically. 

Sounds like the best thing to do is hold all of the GP's in Poland then :D

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, JCookie said:

That's your opinion, just like I have mine, not sure why you feel the need to call it narrow minded.

I'm not old enough to have followed speedway back in the 70/80s, so I don't know what it was like back then to compare, but it's still broadly the same sport as now.

Electric speedway would be completely different. I do enjoy the noise I have to say. The smell has pretty much gone in recent years. I just enjoy that speedway is pretty much a raw motorsport and I'd rather it stayed that way. Maybe I'd change my opinion if/when it happens but I'm not sure.

Because it is narrow minded. You’re willing to write off a sport you like just because of potential powertrain switch. 

Other than the noise and smell, how would it be completely different exactly? It wouldn’t be any less ‘raw’ as you put it. 

I think it's called Greenwashing

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It could well in the Uk, also open up new urban stadia t the sport.

Whatever we might think, noisy motorsports are under threat. Stock cars included. And Greyhounds are also looking more and more like they are on the way out

Electric greyhounds anyone?………..lol

• Haha 3

For a lot of speedway fans though this all sounds like it is from the WEF woke handbook. They can only be more horrified if Chris Harris turns up for pre season press meeting in a frock and wanting to be called Christine :D

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Electric greyhounds anyone?………..lol

Just like the hare.....:D

• Haha 1