British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Predictions for 2023

Yes, quite a few riders without a team place this season, could somebody tell me when the limit of Double uppers was scrapped, believe it was 3 riders from any team,  2 teams so far have got 5 Double uppers for this season  !?!.   Wrong in my eyes for the riders without a  job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I think all Championship teams should have included at least one British 2 point average rider. Or at least one British rider under 4 point average. (as a rule)

Not sure I agree with that rule, as most of the Brits who are missing out all have averages above 4.00. I know there has to be a cut off somewhere, but you could get a 4.01 Brit getting dropped for a 3.99 Brit?

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure I agree with that rule, as most of the Brits who are missing out all have averages above 4.00. I know there has to be a cut off somewhere, but you could get a 4.01 Brit getting dropped for a 3.99 Brit?

Fair point about the 4.0 average....but I think there's enough 2.0 average riders for each team to take one of them in the Championship.

I've counted 8 (including Ablitt) 7 of which are signed up.

8 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Fair point about the 4.0 average....but I think there's enough 2.0 average riders for each team to take one of them in the Championship.

I've counted 8 (including Ablitt) 7 of which are signed up.

The problem is what do you do with these riders the following season?

I'll use Edinburgh for an example, in 2015 they signed Clegg & Branford on 3.00 aves (lowest available). They both upped to about 3.50. In 2016 each team had to sign a 3.00 rider, so Edinburgh had to drop one of the two riders who had just improved from 3 to 3.5! 

16 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The problem is what do you do with these riders the following season?

I'll use Edinburgh for an example, in 2015 they signed Clegg & Branford on 3.00 aves (lowest available). They both upped to about 3.50. In 2016 each team had to sign a 3.00 rider, so Edinburgh had to drop one of the two riders who had just improved from 3 to 3.5! 

Yes, but there has to come a point where it's about ability and a judgement call will have to be made? (if there are too many eligible lower average riders...)

It's not that difficult to spot potential....

• Like 1

I have to admit I like the fact that Poole have done the opposite to every team in the league. Every team has tried to maintain a strong 1,3,5 at the expensive of carrying a 2 pointer at 7. Poole haven't. Last season Poole did the same and had a strong number 6 (once drew kemp was at 2) to carry the third ride for their 2 pointer.

So will be good to see what the winning formula is this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I have to admit I like the fact that Poole have done the opposite to every team in the league. Every team has tried to maintain a strong 1,3,5 at the expensive of carrying a 2 pointer at 7. Poole haven't. Last season Poole did the same and had a strong number 6 (once drew kemp was at 2) to carry the third ride for their 2 pointer.

Poole are hopeful that Ben Cook continues his progression and becomes a solid third heat leader to back up Worrall and Lawson. He showed in the second half of last season that he is more than capable of doing this. He won’t be anywhere near as solid as Danny King though. Zach Cook started last season well but faded mid season, before coming back in strong in the last couple of months. If he continues his progress he will be a very important cog in the engine room of the team. 

We all know what we are going to get with Kyle and Adam. Kyle is going to be a very solid reserve and likely to push Jack Thomas out of the number two berth and down to number 6. He knows all the tracks, all the setups. He is likely to have very good meetings at home, with the occasional good meeting away. He can of course have howlers but that’s the nature of a reserve/second string. Always felt there was more in the can with Kyle and a 6-7 average was there for him with a bit of luck and avoiding injuries. Not likely now but compared to other reserves, he is likely one of the best in the league. He normally puts in a decent performance at Wimborne Road when in opposition and back riding the track every week will help him.

Adam has never done great at Poole but he has never ridden it as his home track. He needs to be shown the quickest way around it and should gobble up the two point reserve opposition for breakfast. His experience is enough to score more than Nathan did. If he scored 3 a meeting, it’s 3 more than we got from the 7 berth last year.

Jack Thomas is really the only “unknown” for most Poole fans. I remember he rode well against us for Oxford last season before a hand injury and was dialled in at Cowley. Surprised his name wasn’t one of the first on the list for the Oxford promotion. Expecting him to score solidly at home once he gets to know the track. Could well struggle away though. But that’s where Kyle’s knowledge could well come into play.

Nothing is guaranteed and the team might not live up to expectations. However viewing the opposition, all have issues like weak reserves, even if the top 5 look impressive. Remember the old Adage. Reserves win meetings. And this coming season we might see that in action.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole are hopeful that Ben Cook continues his progression and becomes a solid third heat leader to back up Worrall and Lawson. He showed in the second half of last season that he is more than capable of doing this. He won’t be anywhere near as solid as Danny King though. Zach Cook started last season well but faded mid season, before coming back in strong in the last couple of months. If he continues his progress he will be a very important cog in the engine room of the team. 

We all know what we are going to get with Kyle and Adam. Kyle is going to be a very solid reserve and likely to push Jack Thomas out of the number two berth and down to number 6. He knows all the tracks, all the setups. He is likely to have very good meetings at home, with the occasional good meeting away. He can of course have howlers but that’s the nature of a reserve/second string. Always felt there was more in the can with Kyle and a 6-7 average was there for him with a bit of luck and avoiding injuries. Not likely now but compared to other reserves, he is likely one of the best in the league. He normally puts in a decent performance at Wimborne Road when in opposition and back riding the track every week will help him.

Adam has never done great at Poole but he has never ridden it as his home track. He needs to be shown the quickest way around it and should gobble up the two point reserve opposition for breakfast. His experience is enough to score more than Nathan did. If he scored 3 a meeting, it’s 3 more than we got from the 7 berth last year.

Jack Thomas is really the only “unknown” for most Poole fans. I remember he rode well against us for Oxford last season before a hand injury and was dialled in at Cowley. Surprised his name wasn’t one of the first on the list for the Oxford promotion. Expecting him to score solidly at home once he gets to know the track. Could well struggle away though. But that’s where Kyle’s knowledge could well come into play.

Nothing is guaranteed and the team might not live up to expectations. However viewing the opposition, all have issues like weak reserves, even if the top 5 look impressive. Remember the old Adage. Reserves win meetings. And this coming season we might see that in action.

Just a few things to add:

1. I thought Adam did well at Poole last season when down with Scunny and also didn't he spanner for DK in 2021 or am I thinking of someone else? If so he would have seen the track a lot during that time. Also at Poole with BSN quite a few times last season too.

2. You make it sound like Nathan got zero every home meeting. I swear he 5-1'd the Glasgow pair at Poole and one of them was Paul Starke guesting I believe! I think there were quite a few other occasions he got points too! 

3. Don't you remember Jack Thomas riding for Brum at Poole in 2021? It was when the meeting was stopped for an hour cos of the crater on track. Think he got 9 at reserve, he was one of the few attacking the track and not just coasting round! 

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

1. I thought Adam did well at Poole last season when down with Scunny and also didn't he spanner for DK in 2021 or am I thinking of someone else? If so he would have seen the track a lot during that time. Also at Poole with BSN quite a few times last season too.

2. You make it sound like Nathan got zero every home meeting. I swear he 5-1'd the Glasgow pair at Poole and one of them was Paul Starke guesting I believe! I think there were quite a few other occasions he got points too! 

3. Don't you remember Jack Thomas riding for Brum at Poole in 2021? It was when the meeting was stopped for an hour cos of the crater on track. Think he got 9 at reserve, he was one of the few attacking the track and not just coasting round! 

Nathan averaged under 2 didn’t he? Yes he scored a few points over the season but very little. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Relying on the Cooks making good progress like you say.Thomas starting to look at his level and Roynan won’t improve.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Spot-on Lisa!

• Thanks 1

Thomas will do very well if his wrists are fully healed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Yeah, it will be interesting. My only hope, being a Glasgow supporter,  is that the expected increase in averages of our numbers 2 and 4 will make the difference. Need to just wait and see. 

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Relying on the Cooks making good progress like you say.Thomas starting to look at his level and Roynan won’t improve.

They're going to have a lot to live up to in 2023, Zach's turn in form was Scoring from reserve now he's in the main body of the team and Ben Cook has Danny kings boots to fill.

3 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

They're going to have a lot to live up to in 2023, Zach's turn in form was Scoring from reserve now he's in the main body of the team and Ben Cook has Danny kings boots to fill.

He's not replacing DK though. It is a new team with less points available. He is a third heat leader, so aiming for 7/8 points a meeting is the right way to look at it. Should never compare to previous year. Just compare to other teams in the Champ. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 3