British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ray Stadia

Riding High

Over Christmas, I saw a film with Eddie Kidd called 'Riding High', Netflix. The film is a bit cheesy, but it is also poignant to see Eddie Kidd as he once was. They use a stadium in the film, which looks to be a speedway stadium. My first thought was 'I bet that's now closed!'. But, it looks like much of the film could have been shot on the Norfolk coast and wonder whether the stadium used was Kings Lynn? I have tried to Google research, but no luck. :)

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Over Christmas, I saw a film with Eddie Kidd called 'Riding High', Netflix. The film is a bit cheesy, but it is also poignant to see Eddie Kidd as he once was. They use a stadium in the film, which looks to be a speedway stadium. My first thought was 'I bet that's now closed!'. But, it looks like much of the film could have been shot on the Norfolk coast and wonder whether the stadium used was Kings Lynn? I have tried to Google research, but no luck. :)

I know that Eddie once appeared at White City and had his photo taken with the team and performing a few stunts...think it was 1978?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I know that Eddie once appeared at White City and had his photo taken with the team and performing a few stunts...think it was 1978?

It didn't look like White City to me. The seating area had, what looked like red and yellow boards, in front of the seats? I think Plough Lane had something similar, but it was wasn't Wimbledon. :unsure: 

• Like 1

Staying with your Norfolk thinking.  Was there a track in Great Yarmouth at that time. I know speedway was there sometime but think it was also stock cars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Staying with your Norfolk thinking.  Was there a track in Great Yarmouth at that time. I know speedway was there sometime but think it was also stock cars.

Great Yarmouth still has stock car racing. I believe speedway finished in 1954 in Great Yarmouth, but this was before my time, so I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

It could be Great Yarmouth? I'll try and take a photo and put it up! 

I just looked again and I think they used the Southend Greyhound Stadium, as I could just see an Evening Echo advertisement, which is a Southend area rag. The stadium has now gone, but at one time, speedway was suggested as going into the stadium, but didn't happen, stiff local opposition in 1977. No change there then! 

9 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I just looked again and I think they used the Southend Greyhound Stadium, as I could just see an Evening Echo advertisement, which is a Southend area rag. The stadium has now gone, but at one time, speedway was suggested as going into the stadium, but didn't happen, stiff local opposition in 1977. No change there then! 

Southend Stadium

Grainger Road.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Southend Stadium

Grainger Road.jpg

That's the stadium, that was! :t: Would have made a great speedway track, in my opinion. :(

Edited by Ray Stadia

Gina Banks put paid to that, she petitioned the world, harassed the planners, sent letters and leaflets to residents for miles.

• Sad 1

I seem to remember that Eddie jumped at a few speedway tracks. He certainly jumped at Dudley Wood during a speedway meeting I was at. Only a small jump, more of a PR thing.

Edited by Gert Handbag

Yeh I remember that, must of been the Dan McCormick era I'd have thought