British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Annual High Beech Celebration

A question.

This year will see the 95th anniversary of the first meeting at High Beech. A special lunch is being held by the WSRA on 19 February to celebrate this event, with, I understand, an excellent guest speaker.

Because it is a special anniversary, this year's celebration is being held at the original home, King's Oak. Since 2009, the annual celebration has been held at Paradise Wildlife Park, site of the Speedway Museum. Prior to that it was held at the King's Oak and organised by John Chaplin and Peter Lipscomb under their "Vintage Speedway Magazine" banner.

The question is, does anyone know when John and Peter first organised the annual event? In which year?

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:07 PM, norbold said:

A question.

This year will see the 95th anniversary of the first meeting at High Beech. A special lunch is being held by the WSRA on 19 February to celebrate this event, with, I understand, an excellent guest speaker.

Because it is a special anniversary, this year's celebration is being held at the original home, King's Oak. Since 2009, the annual celebration has been held at Paradise Wildlife Park, site of the Speedway Museum. Prior to that it was held at the King's Oak and organised by John Chaplin and Peter Lipscomb under their "Vintage Speedway Magazine" banner.

The question is, does anyone know when John and Peter first organised the annual event? In which year?

A truly excellent speaker i agree. If i narrow it down to a prolific author from deepest Essex, i don’t think i will be far out.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

A truly excellent speaker i agree. If i narrow it down to a prolific author from deepest Essex, i don’t think i will be far out.

Well not far from Norbold. Maybe he can answer the question of which year the first event was :D

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Well not far from Norbold. Maybe he can answer the question of which year the first event was :D

Surely you are not suggesting Norbold is another John Hyam and asks a question when he already knows the answer. !!

• Haha 1

I have just heard from my good friend, man in black, Terry Stone, who tells me the first annual get-together at High Beech was in 1992. So I am prepared now to correct the speaker in case he makes a mistake in his speech.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Excellent lunch at the King's Oak today to celebrate the 95th anniversary of speedway in this country. I found myself sitting between Bert Harkins and Jim McMillan with Len Silver on the same table. Len, who is 91, was in great form with plenty of stories and anecdotes.

The after-dinner speaker, who gave an illustrated history of High Beech, was good too!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, norbold said:

I found myself sitting between Bert Harkins and Jim McMillan

Did you need an interpreter?

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Did you need an interpreter?

One would have been helpful at times!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just wish I could have been there