British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bojangles

NDL predictions 2023

IMO Workington won't have much home track advantage as it's a new track for every rider, yes the comets riders will have some extra practice but with most riders doing other things, time maybe a limited factor to get in extra practice, and I'm a comets fan, but looking forward to a season of good racing while the young kids improve their speedway riding 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Technik said:

The hardest of the 3 leagues to make a prediction, Some of the riders have been in this league a while & have maybe found their level whilst others are just begining their career & are largely unknown. Then of course to fresh new 15 year old starlet that pops up mid-season & the unfortunate injury that often happens.

BELLE VUE - Strong top end with the reliable Jack Smith securing double figures almost every meeting at NDL joined by James Pearson who may gain some confidence at this level & the ever improving Sam Hagon. But I think the Colts will find it tough this season.

BERWICK - I have to be honest in saying there is not much that inspires me with this seven I just hope they enjoy their racing & stay healthy.

EDINBURGH - Adam Roynon is possibly the leagues top trapper & with the CL experience of Bickley & Hook  should do well enough & may well be in the dogfight at the end of the season.

KENT - As with Jack Smith at Belle Vue Ben Morley has a wealth of experience to call upon & with Nathan Ablitt as his number 2 they will not loose many of the big races but it's a long tail to wag.

LEICESTER - A big season is always expected for the Cubs & many would feel this should be the last season for the Thompson twins in NDL. Boughon making an average towards the end of the season may hamper the 15 year old as he will start in the top 5.

MILDENHALL - A top 4 that I think can achieve great results if things go their way, Bowtell can top the averages whilst Complin is superb at this level, trigger should again up his average & the returning Kiwi Congreve may find life easier at this level.

OXFORD - The Chargers track much the same team as last year with Fellows coming in at the bottom. Killeen must establish himself this turn as his long fight for a passport then injury scuppered his chances . It could be a big year at Cowley.

WORKINGTON - Home track advantage will be a big factor for the Cumbrians. Pijper will be the lynch pin as they move forward & I'm sure Bailey can sharpen up his gating at this standard.

Top 3. Oxford, Workington, Mildenhall

I think you are under estimating young Ashton Boughen this lad is special, I have never seen a rider take so quickly to speedway. I can see him as a heat leader by the end of the year which will push Leicester towards the title again 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lynnboy said:

I think you are under estimating young Ashton Boughen this lad is special, I have never seen a rider take so quickly to speedway. I can see him as a heat leader by the end of the year which will push Leicester towards the title again 

I have seen him & I agree he is special, However last season he had no pressure at all but now he is in a team set up & because he rode enough meetings he already has an average so will not start at reserve which I believe will mean him starting with much harder rides.

I saw him at Oxford -V- Leicester last season play off match & he scorched Ht 2 but his next outing struggled at the back. I hope he can build on his first taste last season & become the special rider we believe he is.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Technik said:

I have seen him & I agree he is special, However last season he had no pressure at all but now he is in a team set up & because he rode enough meetings he already has an average so will not start at reserve which I believe will mean him starting with much harder rides.

I saw him at Oxford -V- Leicester last season play off match & he scorched Ht 2 but his next outing struggled at the back. I hope he can build on his first taste last season & become the special rider we believe he is.

Through the years there have a lot of exciting prospects at 15/16  in GB it’s a small percentage that make it through to the Top.Best of luck to all youngsters though.

• Like 4

On 3/20/2023 at 7:26 PM, Technik said:

KENT - As with Jack Smith at Belle Vue Ben Morley has a wealth of experience to call upon & with Nathan Ablitt as his number 2 they will not loose many of the big races but it's a long tail to wag.

Kent actually have a stronger tail than last season (3 x 3.00 riders), but have sacrificed top end strength (losing Bowtell / Clegg) to achieve it.

Edited by szkocjasid

This is a very tough league to predict as none of the teams look particularly weak & plenty have riders expected to improve their averages.

1st Workington. Have a good number one in Bailey & then could have as many as 4 2nd/3rd heat leaders backing him up. Expecting Sam McGurk to be one of the strongest reserves in the league & Kelly is an acceptable number 7.

2nd Oxford. Have a very strong top 4 (top 2 stronger than Workington). Scott is very promising as a second string, while Clouting is a decent reserve. Weaker at number 7 than most of the other clubs though.

3rd Leicester. Could well have the best top 2 in the league. After that have a lost of very promising youngsters. Could end up with Spencer & Food being the best reserves in the league.

4th Mildenhall. Great top 2 to rival Leicester's. Solid middle order without being as strong as the top 3. Similar to Oxford at reserve Butcher will do ok, Richardson very much unknown at this level.

5th Edinburgh. Strong number one in Bickley, good back up in Roynon, Hook & Spooner. Big season needed for Simpson as a second string. Could have the weakest reserves though.

6th Kent. Strong number one. Then 2 or 3 3rd heat leaders (if Alcock comes back from injury ok). Better reserves than last year, but wouldn't call them strong. Missed a trick with Alcock being on a low average & building 2+ points under the limit. Put in a stronger number 7 & Alcock would've started at reserve!

7th Belle Vue. Reasonable at the top, but weaker than most. Any of the bottom 4 could potentially end up at reserve, so will always have 2 good reserves (the strong part of their team).

8th Berwick. Certainly look the weakest team to me. Big season needed for Coles stepping up to number one, doubling up for Berwick should help. Don't see a lot of improvement in the rest of the side, that combined with them being almost 2 points under the limit, outs them bottom for me. Good enough to be competitive, especially at home, so don't see them being miles adrift, just a slightly under average side in a strong league!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1