British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnybegood

Plymouth last signing

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Be careful what you wish for......

Nora regulated Speedway might be exactly what a few people are wishing for as BSPL regulated Speedway hasn't exactly brought the crowds flocking in over the past 20 or so years, nor has it done a great deal to help British riders find team places once they have reached a certain standard, hence we have fewer British riders riding Speedway than at probably any time since the 1950's.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Nora regulated Speedway might be exactly what a few people are wishing for as BSPL regulated Speedway hasn't exactly brought the crowds flocking in over the past 20 or so years, nor has it done a great deal to help British riders find team places once they have reached a certain standard, hence we have less British riders riding Speedway than at probably any time since the 1950's.

This mirrors the situation in the early sixties over the formation of the Provincial league.The then ruling National league threatend all sorts of reprisals against any National league rider representing a Provincial league side,but they soon came to realise the game was up,and National league teams started lending riders to Provincial league sides.I remember Belle Vue loaning Jim Yacoby,and Jack Kitchen to Bradford.Soon after the British League was formed,which in my opinion saved British speedway.Could history be repeating itself?.

17 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The SCB/BSPL are ultimately petrified of this Nora thing developing into a full blown breakaway IMO. Which might end up being the best thing that's ever happened to British Speedway, we might even end up with some competent governance.

On a completely different level it reminds me of the early 90's in the darts world where the old fashioned BDO saw a breakaway of the PDC. All it took was a handful of the top players to agree to move and the rest is history.

I've followed speedway for around 20 years now and each year the incompetence shown by the SCB / BSPL is shameful. Year after year the establishment of promoters that hold the cards look after themselves without a care for the wider sport. Now despite NORA actually displaying a will to move the sport forwards, which is what is needed for it to survive, the SCB would rather sabotage all of their attempts than perhaps sit around the table and look to collaborate. That tells you they are only interested in their own gains.

I for one really hope that NORA continues to develop their product and attract bigger names to their product and maybe just maybe British Speedway will do a darts and transform the sport to something that can't not just survive but thrive.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, Jonnybegood said:

Hopefully the las rider will be named soon …fed up waiting tbh

No doubt Plymouth had Roynon lined up as their final rider, whether 'paperwork didn't arrive' or Roynon choose Poole at the 11th hour I'm not sure but it's clearly left Plymouth in a hole.

On the positive whoever we sign, at least we've got the Mickey Mouse cup at the start of the season to give the riders some track time before the meaningful meetings start.

11 hours ago, Derrickn said:

This mirrors the situation in the early sixties over the formation of the Provincial league.The then ruling National league threatend all sorts of reprisals against any National league rider representing a Provincial league side,but they soon came to realise the game was up,and National league teams started lending riders to Provincial league sides.I remember Belle Vue loaning Jim Yacoby,and Jack Kitchen to Bradford.Soon after the British League was formed,which in my opinion saved British speedway.Could history be repeating itself?.

I think its different, at least at the moment. Back in the 1960's what you had was a completely separate league with a significant number of teams operating from their own stadiums. Here, you have just 4 teams, only one of which has its own track (two share with SCB clubs). Still, it is something for the SCB to be concerned about because it could snowball (hence their attitude). 

What is undoubtedly true is that this situation is of the BSPL's own making, resulting from their own selfishness and incompetence.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Be careful what you wish for......

You might well have a point. 

But, given the choice, give me Barry Bishop over Rob Godfrey any day. There's simply no comparison. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

No doubt Plymouth had Roynon lined up as their final rider, whether 'paperwork didn't arrive' or Roynon choose Poole at the 11th hour I'm not sure but it's clearly left Plymouth in a hole.

On the positive whoever we sign, at least we've got the Mickey Mouse cup at the start of the season to give the riders some track time before the meaningful meetings start.

Don't think Roynon chose to go to Poole at the 11th hour, unless the 11th hour was before the end of the 2022 season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Don't think Roynon chose to go to Poole at the 11th hour, unless the 11th hour was before the end of the 2022 season.

It was a gentleman's agreement,  therefore one of the 2 parties is not a gentleman!  

Is there a fight going on for manzares between Plymouth and Birmingham? Didn't Edinburgh have "try outs" of sorts for final slot at P&P the year bewley got final space. Could we see something similar at Brum or Plymouth?

23 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It was a gentleman's agreement,  therefore one of the 2 parties is not a gentleman!  

So are you saying Adam is guilty of not being a "gentleman" then? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I've never understood that saying, I'd want my team to win every match in every competition. It'll be the same 14 riders as racing in the league match, so should be just as entertaining!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

Was the Premier Trophy a "Mickey Mouse Cup" as well then, as this is the same thing, only under a different name? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtf said:

So are you saying Adam is guilty of not being a "gentleman" then? 

He's not a Plymouth asset with a signed contract so as a free agent he can go where he likes!:t:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Is there a fight going on for manzares between Plymouth and Birmingham? Didn't Edinburgh have "try outs" of sorts for final slot at P&P the year bewley got final space. Could we see something similar at Brum or Plymouth?

Plymouth are not going to sign manzares imo,Gary may and Mark Phillips will have a better option I'm sure :t:

Edited by lewy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lewy said:

Plymouth are not going to sign mandates imo,Gary may and Mark Phillips will have a better option I'm sure :t:

Well as long as they both have a mandate, all should be well!?:t::rofl:

• Haha 1