British Speedway Forum
Ray Stadia

With the loss of Long Eaton.........

Yes that's correct. Tony Mole also wanted to move in at Bordesley Green and accepting that a speedway and stock cars mix wasn't practable given that the cars were using the old track every day, he was prepared to fund the building of a new track on a different part of the complex, but he was stymied by the opposition of the site manager who for some reason he would never reveal, had set his face against speedway coming back to the Wheels.

The Wheels Park, which has been quite impressively developed over the years, is currently in limbo. The City Council have closed it down with a view to building industrial units on the land. There is a "Save Birmingham Wheels" group trying very hard to block the council's plans and to have the complex re-opened, but they don't seem to be having a great deal of success.

Bordesley Green took plenty of stick during the three years that speedway ran there, but although the place is situated in a very poor and rundown part of Birmingham (where I was actually born and lived for the first 27 years of my life incidentally), but it was by no means all bad, and could have been just the kind of site that Birmingham Speedway could thrive in. Speedway's mistake was to have move there before the place was anywhere near ready, but unfortunately, the demolition of the "old" Perry Barr stadium at the end of 1983, meant that the promotion of the time had no option but to do so.

Apologies to have muscled in on a site about Long Eaton, but I needed to get this off my chest!!!!!

This is an interesting thread. It is such a shame that we no longer have speedway at the wonderful Buxton track, which is not a huge distance from Long Eaton.

• Like 1

Bordesley Green in my opinion could have been a National training centre for speedway especially if another track elsewhere on the site could have been built.

This combined with the Brummies racing there would have brought in a tidy income to the owners of the Wheels complex.

Strange that site owners are so against additional streams of income. I believe Tony Mole would have moved into Perry Bar in the late 80's if the then owner would have let him but for some odd reason didn't!

Buxton speedway is still there running practice/training sessions but unfortunately are absent from League racing. In the Speedway Star a few weeks back when discussing the proposed new Nora League it was suggested that Buxton may eventually enter a team in that?

As it seems unfair to for me to muscle in on this site which is supposed to be about Long Eaton, I have created a new "Birmingham Wheels Park" site - so anyone who finds this of interest, should log on to this.

White City didn't get viable crowds when they ran in the British League from 1976-1978 even though they won the League in 1977! - And that was when crowds in the UK were mostly double if not treble what they are now. The grand old stadium got knocked down in 1985 which was a big opportunity missed in my opinion cause it could have been redeveloped as a multi sports venue and nearby Queens Park Rangers FC could have moved in their especially as now they are trying to get out of there current Loftus Road home.

I still think a track in the Nottingham/Derby/ Long Eaton area could be viable but finding a new site is extremely difficult and expensive. Nottingham Greyhound track would be ideal but same again difficult and expensive!

Edited by 25yearfan

20 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

White City didn't get viable crowds when they ran in the British League from 1976-1978 even though they won the League in 1977! - And that was when crowds in the UK were mostly double if not treble what they are now. The grand old stadium got knocked down in 1985 which was a big opportunity missed in my opinion cause it could have been redeveloped as a multi sports venue and nearby Queens Park Rangers FC could have moved in their especially as now they are trying to get out of there current Loftus Road home.

I still think a track in the Nottingham/Derby/ Long Eaton area could be viable but finding a new site is extremely difficult and expensive. Nottingham Greyhound track would be ideal but same again difficult and expensive!

I'm sure I'm right in saying that QPR did play one season (?) at Wood Lane but failed to make it pay? The "Rebels" had relatively decent crowds but not near enough to cover the costs that such a large stadium demanded...more's the pity. I followed the "Rebels" for those three years and have great memories of that time.

4 hours ago, speed29 said:

I Wish Long Eaton & White City could come back!

You want to see them riding around the BBC offices???

18 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Yes that's correct. Tony Mole also wanted to move in at Bordesley Green and accepting that a speedway and stock cars mix wasn't practable given that the cars were using the old track every day, he was prepared to fund the building of a new track on a different part of the complex, but he was stymied by the opposition of the site manager who for some reason he would never reveal, had set his face against speedway coming back to the Wheels.

The Wheels Park, which has been quite impressively developed over the years, is currently in limbo. The City Council have closed it down with a view to building industrial units on the land. There is a "Save Birmingham Wheels" group trying very hard to block the council's plans and to have the complex re-opened, but they don't seem to be having a great deal of success.

Bordesley Green took plenty of stick during the three years that speedway ran there, but although the place is situated in a very poor and rundown part of Birmingham (where I was actually born and lived for the first 27 years of my life incidentally), but it was by no means all bad, and could have been just the kind of site that Birmingham Speedway could thrive in. Speedway's mistake was to have move there before the place was anywhere near ready, but unfortunately, the demolition of the "old" Perry Barr stadium at the end of 1983, meant that the promotion of the time had no option but to do so.

Apologies to have muscled in on a site about Long Eaton, but I needed to get this off my chest!!!!!

I attended the first meeting at "The Wheels" and it was certainly an experience!

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I'm sure I'm right in saying that QPR did play one season (?) at Wood Lane but failed to make it pay? The "Rebels" had relatively decent crowds but not near enough to cover the costs that such a large stadium demanded...more's the pity. I followed the "Rebels" for those three years and have great memories of that time.

QPR had a couple of spells at White City in the early 30's and one season in the early 60's and I think crowds of under 20,000 in an arena that held over 60,000+ didn't create an atmosphere and no doubt the rent was very steep. Nowadays their Loftus Road home is ageing, only holds just over 18,000 and is hemmed in all four sides so any possible expansion would be limited. QPR are actively seeking to move to a new stadium that could hold 30,000+ which in modern times if they get back into the Premier League they could probably fill. Had White City just down the road still been about then that could have been the solution and no doubt in modern times it would of been renovated and reduced in size so it would likely have been a solution to QPR's relocation plans.

Interestingly Messrs Dugard and Dunton the promotors of White City Rebels speedway  had originally looked at reopening speedway at Harringay but for some reason decided that White City was the better bet. Looking back now one must wonder if speedway at Harringay may have indeed been the better bet especially since League racing had been staged there successfully a little over 20 years before so many of their regulars would still have been about?

Anyway back to Long Eaton, used to enjoy my visits there as the track was fast, there was always a nice atmosphere, the stadium was harp back to bygone times and the track had a loyal hardcore support. When they closed in 1997 part of the planning consent for the redevelopment of the site with houses was that they provided space for a new smaller speedway stadium. The major drawback was the construction cost of the new stadium was £6M I think I saw quoted and the venue was only allowed to stage speedway with no stock cars or greyhound racing allowed. Of course building a stadium costing £6M that only staged speedway maybe up to 30 times a years in front of crowds that would rarely creep over the 1000 mark wasn't ever going to be a viable proposition for a private investor.

- A Somerset/ new Workington like set up near Nottingham or Derby could be viable?   

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

QPR had a couple of spells at White City in the early 30's and one season in the early 60's and I think crowds of under 20,000 in an arena that held over 60,000+ didn't create an atmosphere and no doubt the rent was very steep. Nowadays their Loftus Road home is ageing, only holds just over 18,000 and is hemmed in all four sides so any possible expansion would be limited. QPR are actively seeking to move to a new stadium that could hold 30,000+ which in modern times if they get back into the Premier League they could probably fill. Had White City just down the road still been about then that could have been the solution and no doubt in modern times it would of been renovated and reduced in size so it would likely have been a solution to QPR's relocation plans.

Interestingly Messrs Dugard and Dunton the promotors of White City Rebels speedway  had originally looked at reopening speedway at Harringay but for some reason decided that White City was the better bet. Looking back now one must wonder if speedway at Harringay may have indeed been the better bet especially since League racing had been staged there successfully a little over 20 years before so many of their regulars would still have been about?

Anyway back to Long Eaton, used to enjoy my visits there as the track was fast, there was always a nice atmosphere, the stadium was harp back to bygone times and the track had a loyal hardcore support. When they closed in 1997 part of the planning consent for the redevelopment of the site with houses was that they provided space for a new smaller speedway stadium. The major drawback was the construction cost of the new stadium was £6M I think I saw quoted and the venue was only allowed to stage speedway with no stock cars or greyhound racing allowed. Of course building a stadium costing £6M that only staged speedway maybe up to 30 times a years in front of crowds that would rarely creep over the 1000 mark wasn't ever going to be a viable proposition for a private investor.

- A Somerset/ new Workington like set up near Nottingham or Derby could be viable?   

I remember that now...I think that Brighton was also considered but never got off the ground? It was a shame that the uncertainty at Cowley forced the "Rebels" to move because the 1975 team was really developing into a fine outfit. However I enjoyed my weekly trips to London and got to see the best of both worlds...British League speedway at Wood Lane and National League at Cowley. Great days!

Without the uncertainty in 1975 of the Cowley stadiums future existence I'm sure top flight speedway would have probably continued at Oxford.

I think Bob Dugard wanted to stage National League racing at Brighton in the late 70's after he'd reopened White City. Only the planners stopped those plans which was a shame cause that was and is still a decent stadium and would surely have attracted viable crowds. Indeed I still think speedway could be a goer at Hove Stadium and would stand more chance of getting bigger crowds than nearby Eastbourne would?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

I seem to recall reading that Len Silver objected to Harringay re-opening as it would eat into his crowd at Hackney.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, 25yearfan said:

Without the uncertainty in 1975 of the Cowley stadiums future existence I'm sure top flight speedway would have probably continued at Oxford.

I think Bob Dugard wanted to stage National League racing at Brighton in the late 70's after he'd reopened White City. Only the planners stopped those plans which was a shame cause that was and is still a decent stadium and would surely have attracted viable crowds. Indeed I still think speedway could be a goer at Hove Stadium and would stand more chance of getting bigger crowds than nearby Eastbourne would?

Im sure the Green Party, who are in charge of Brighton and Hove council, would be fully behind speedway at Hove's greyhound stadium!

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:55 AM, 25yearfan said:

Think you are right in that it was a missed opportunity for QPR, but was it possibly the wrong time ? White City was flattened in 1985, so i guess it was being talked about and planned beforehand. The Bradford fire was the same year. And that really from memory was the catalyst for football clubs to even think of renovating orbuilding new stadia. At the time most were in a terrible condition. White City, Wembley and Harringay as well. Couple of years later there was even talk of them merging with Fulham, such was the situation.

Pure speculation that i wouldn't agree with in that a move to Harringay would have been better. There was also talk of selling the stadium long before White City came back. A precarious situation, that eventually ended in 1985 as well, when it was sold to a supermarket, and closed two years later. It could possibly have been used as a multi purpose sports site, as there was also a famous ice rink/ice hockey team there as well at one time. But in that period sporting facilities weren't maintained or seen as a good investment

I think if you look at most of the clubs around. Fulham, Chelsea etc they all show a fairly big slump around the start of the 80s anyway, and there wasn't much forward thinking at all. Just a sense of everything continuing as it is.....treading water

1975/78 - 23,830

1976/77 - 21,085

1977/78 - 19,900

1978/79 - 16, 287 (Relegation under Burtensahw

1979/80 - 14,087

1980/81 - 10, 938 (Docherty/Venables)

1981/82 12,576 (Venables)

1982/83 - 12,806

1983/84 15,560 (First season back up)1984/85 14,148

1985/86 15,241

1986/87 13,987

1987/88 13,135