British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Bluey Scott

Sad news from Oz, Bluey Scott has passed- some of us will well remeber Bluey from the early and mid sixties- Long Eaton, Middlesbrough etc. R.I.P. Bluey

Yeah, I saw that on Facebook earlier. Not that I ever recall seeing him race, but very sad all the same...

Can't say that I'm familiar with Bluey Scott?

RIP

Jack Scott wasn’t it ? I remember the name from the history books but never saw him race. A part of the sports rich history gone though.

I saw Bluey race a couple of times at Somerton Park in the old PL in 1964- he was the Middlesbrough Bears Captain and top scored with 9 points against the Wasps the time I saw him.  I also him turn out for an "official test match" Britain v. Overseas in the same year.Bluey was a well known nice guy, very approachable for the fansand often hosted his old speedway comrades when they visited Oz after they all retired. Stayed in touch  with people like Howard Cole and Reg Fearman right until the end of his life.

• Like 1

Bluey Scott is not the same as Jack Scott ,El Addio. They are both as you say a rich part of speedway history though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanx Frigbo, I should have remembered that Bluey rode for Glasgow in 1965-66. Born in 1929 at least he has a good innings.As some of you probably know "Bluey" is a name the Aussies use for someone with red hair.

• Like 1

A great guy and fondly remembered in Scotland following his times at Motherwell in the 50s, Glasgow White City in the 60s and at Blantyre in the 70s where he helped with the track. Affable and always seemed to have time to chat to supporters, his autograph was a work of art. 

I'll include a fuller tribute in next months Classic Speedway Memories on line magazine. 

Edited by Beirao
Update
  • Like 1

Thanks Beirao-your comments also remind me of Bluey. I'll look forward to reading  Classic Speedway Memories online-and perhaps this willintroduce him more fully to other Forumlanders.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:28 PM, E I Addio said:

Jack Scott wasn’t it ? I remember the name from the history books but never saw him race. A part of the sports rich history gone though.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:35 PM, Beirao said:

A great guy and fondly remembered in Scotland following his times at Motherwell in the 50s, Glasgow White City in the 60s and at Blantyre in the 70s where he helped with the track. Affable and always seemed to have time to chat to supporters, his autograph was a work of art. 

I'll include a fuller tribute in next months Classic Speedway Memories on line magazine. 

Remember him well racing for Tigers at Old Meadowbank very decent rider in his day.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Remember him well racing for Tigers at Old Meadowbank very decent rider in his day.

Some great performances at Old Meadowbank and great team riding too - with George Hunter while riding for Scotland against England in 1966 and with Tigers partner Graham Coombes, holding out George Hunter for a 5-1 which was crucial in the Scottish Cup win in 1965. 

6 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Some great performances at Old Meadowbank and great team riding too - with George Hunter while riding for Scotland against England in 1966 and with Tigers partner Graham Coombes, holding out George Hunter for a 5-1 which was crucial in the Scottish Cup win in 1965. 

Agree, remember them well,Monarchs -Tigers battles in 60’# were fantastic and nerve tingling affairs.Atmosphere was something else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Agree, remember them well,Monarchs -Tigers battles in 60’# were fantastic and nerve tingling affairs.Atmosphere was something else.

Great nights when the Scottish Cup was part of the Edinburgh Festival, or so Ian Hoskins would have told you. Can remember getting a great view of the fireworks on the 44 bus to Slateford going along Princes Street. 

Great comments and a mention of Graham Coombes also. I remember Graham at several tracks-is he still with us. I think he may have ridden for CH too?