British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Oxford v Swindon Select - Rescheduled April 19

28 minutes ago, orion said:

I dont agree .. its pretty clear that people can see they can make plenty of money by using the Swindon name .. One night only they said then we have a match v Poole . I would say your going to get  plenty of chances to line Terry Russell and co's pockets .

Don't see how TR will make any cash. Oxford will pay the riders surely. Zero mention of it on the Swindon website. Don't think its got anything at all to do with the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

Don't see how TR will make any cash. Oxford will pay the riders surely. Zero mention of it on the Swindon website. Don't think its got anything at all to do with the club.

Orion is probably right about Russell making some money, but the bigger picture hear is the chance to see speedway with some of your 

old favs thrown in for good measure to good to miss especially with the news from Wolverhampton 

11 minutes ago, Toady said:

Orion is probably right about Russell making some money, but the bigger picture hear is the chance to see speedway with some of your 

old favs thrown in for good measure to good to miss especially with the news from Wolverhampton 

I just can't see it. If they were on for a nice little earner from it then it would be all over the website and club socials. No mention of it anywhere. But who knows in Speedway. The fans have been shafted by TR and GI so totally understandable people ask questions like that. 

12 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

. But who knows in Speedway. The fans have been shafted by TR and GI so totally understandable people ask questions like that. 

Agree with you totally , I just hope that one day they get what’s owed to them

16 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I just can't see it. If they were on for a nice little earner from it then it would be all over the website and club socials. No mention of it anywhere. But who knows in Speedway. The fans have been shafted by TR and GI so totally understandable people ask questions like that. 

Not sure that Terry Russell and co would be  boasting  about making money from this  . This is going to a big crowd with a large number from Swindon so  its quite clear someone from the  Swindon side is going to be paid for helping  in doing that . From what i hear you can't use the Swindon name without Tr's  say , so its common sense that he is yet again filling his pockets with cash 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Toady said:

Agree with you totally , I just hope that one day they get what’s owed to them

Unfortunately no matter what happens, it will only end in them making a load of cash from extra houses or a stadium sale to someone else once the original houses are sorted. The fact that no one was given the chance to come in and say they will have a go at running speedway and making it viable says what we all know. The sham of Swindon Motorsports just confirmed they are all in it together which most sensible people realised a fair few years ago. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, orion said:

Not sure that Terry Russell and co would be  boasting  about making money from this  . This is going to a big crowd with a large number from Swindon so  its quite clear someone from the  Swindon side is going to be paid for helping  in doing that . From what i hear you can't use the Swindon name without Tr's  say , so its common sense that he is yet again filling his pockets with cash 

I'm going to ask the question because if its true then it will make me think twice about going to Poole. I wouldn't knowingly give another penny if it goes into the current owners pockets.

• Like 1

Don't know why TR gets such a raw deal on here...

He will have spent countless hours and covered thousands of miles driving 45 minutes outwards from Swindon town centre and back, in all directions of the compass..

Selflessly and forensically looking at every single piece of land within that zone so he can build the Robins a new stadium..

He could though possibly save himself a lot of time and fuel by putting "Abbey Stadium" into the sat nav..

I believe there is a track already there at this location, and a new stadium is already being built on it I have heard..

Sounds like it could be just what the Robins need..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

I'm going to ask the question because if its true then it will make me think twice about going to Poole. I wouldn't knowingly give another penny if it goes into the current owners pockets.

Fair play to you 

9 hours ago, fatface said:

Heard a podcast where he was quite honest about the mistakes he made not venturing further. He definitely had a load of talent. As well as that GP win, he was also brilliant in the 92 World Team Cup Final which was absolutely loaded with top, top riders. As well as not making the move to a bigger track or really testing himself overseas, he also seemed to get embroiled in too many petty spats. Don't know if he was trying to prove he was a tough guy or what...but it's not the sort of stuff serious professionals would get involved in. 

...I guess hat he was heavily influenced by father Bob who was very headstrong but always remained loyal to his chargers.

9 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

He was hated at Swindon!!! We had them in the cup one year and he was an absolute arse in the 1st leg away at Eastbourne. The 2nd leg went down to a last heat decider and his bike went bang on the start line to put us through. Karma is a bitch mate!

...actually I think if Martin had moved to Swindon the bigger track would have improved him and supporters do make a habit of cheering on "villains" when they appear for your team. There was no bigger "villain" than Steve Gresham when he visited Blunsden in opposition but soon became a "hero" when he signed for the "Budgies!"

Incidently I also think that Gordon Kennett should have joined Swindon after the closure of White City instead of returning to Eastbourne but he was well looked after by the aforementioned Bob Dugard and felt comfortable riding for him.

56 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

There was no bigger "villain" than Steve Gresham when he visited Blunsden in opposition but soon became a "hero" when he signed for the "Budgies!"

I used to go Eastville in those two seasons, crowds of around 8/9K, dog track left a lot to be desired as a race track though. 

However, you could get closer to the racing as a result. I can still picture Michael Lee flying around the outside, just a few feet in front of me. Quite scary. 

As for Steve Gresham, you are right there Steve, I didn't know a single Swindon fan who liked him in the Bulldog's colours. 

He turned that around when he joined the Robins though, he was a hard rider and rarely gave up. 

A nice man off the track, I believe.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YerRopes said:

I used to go Eastville in those two seasons, crowds of around 8/9K, dog track left a lot to be desired as a race track though. 

However, you could get closer to the racing as a result. I can still picture Michael Lee flying around the outside, just a few feet in front of me. Quite scary. 

As for Steve Gresham, you are right there Steve, I didn't know a single Swindon fan who liked him in the Bulldog's colours. 

He turned that around when he joined the Robins though, he was a hard rider and rarely gave up. 

A nice man off the track, I believe.. 

There was an interesting interview with Steve Gresham in "Backtrack" a few years back. He was a bosom pal of Scott Autrey...like chalk and cheese in personalities one would have thought?

8 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

When they spoke to peter shroek tonight he indicated that they (Oxford) put the Swindon team together and included the best so they could have a fair challenge. so I think you may be right