British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Phil Morris appointed Premiership CEO

Sounds promising and about bloody time.

• Like 2

This could be a big day for GB speedway, he mentions integrity & transparency amongst his aims. That would be a massive step forward.

Hugely positive step forward. A long time coming mind! Hopefully will eradicate at best the bending of the rules, and at worst blatant cheating..

simplifying the rule book is something that’s been needed for some time, no grey areas, just black and white so everybody can fully understand them. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Where does this leave Rob Godfreys role as BSPL chairman?  Does Morris have authority over him, or does he still need to report to the promoters?

Still a few questions that need answers before we start the back slapping I think.

• Like 2

Didn’t see that coming, great decision by PL. feels like a chasm opening up between Premiership and Championship. The CL looks and feels very much like Div 2. I know why Poole run in CL but surely their fans must be wishing they were in top league now.

1 minute ago, FromBendThree said:

Didn’t see that coming, great decision by PL. feels like a chasm opening up between Premiership and Championship. The CL looks and feels very much like Div 2. I know why Poole run in CL but surely their fans must be wishing they were in top league now.

You’re right, and exactly as it should be. The only reason they originally tried to bring the leagues closer together was to introduce promotion/relegation which let’s be honest, was never going to work. 

• Like 3

A much needed step in the right direction and an ideal choice for the appointment at this time IMO

Let's hope that all involved emmbrace the move and that we don't see Phil undermined or hampered when something doesn't go the way desired for certain quarters 

• Like 5

An encouraging move. However it will be a challenging role for Phil given how many problems the sport has.

So what do the Championship promoters do now?

• Like 1

The big question is 'how much authority will he have?' What happens when someone says 'its my business, I'll run it my way'

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

I don't mind either league tbh. 

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

An encouraging move. However it will be a challenging role for Phil given how many problems the sport has.

So what do the Championship promoters do now?

Do what Poole say? :o;):P

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, ch958 said:

The big question is 'how much authority will he have?' What happens when someone says 'its my business, I'll run it my way'

This is going to be the big test.  Phil always comes across as somebody who doesn't suffer fools gladly.  If he decides something needs changing and the promoters all close ranks again he won't stay in the job long.

It's a a role so many of us have called for over a long period of time, but it will only work if everyone buys into it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ch958 said:

If he has any sense he will have signed a contract with at least three years on it, if not it could be a short appointment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1