British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

List of Speedway promoters past & present.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Toady said:

A very comprehensive breakdown as I said Ochiltree was a shareholder and also general manager of midland sports and they sold Leicester down the river

Obviously not comprehensive enough , as you've still failed to understand , I notice that you have changed tack now & it's now "they " sold Leicester & not C O.:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Of course the greatest Promoter of all time was Johnnie Hoskins...the father of speedway. Too many tracks to mention but he finished his days promoting at Canterbury when Wally Mawdsley later joined forces. Wally promoted at some of the more unconventional, shall we say, tracks...Newport, Romford, Exeter, Bristol and Rochester (?) before he took over at the more conventional Swindon.

Certainly the greatest self-promoter of all time, and while undoubtedly one of the most important in the sport's history there are others.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Obviously not comprehensive enough , as you've still failed to understand , I notice that you have changed tack now & it's now "they " sold Leicester & not C O.:lol:

I am in no way trying to justify what happened, but did the decision to sell happen some time after that terrible fire at Bradford? Football, and wooden stands (like Leicester's) were then deemed unsafe.

6 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Certainly the greatest self-promoter of all time, and while undoubtedly one of the most important in the sport's history there are others.

Agree with the first part. He probably was also a great promoter back in the early days. By the time i got to visit one f his tracks, i guess his peak period was in the past. So hard to really tell how great he was

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I am in no way trying to justify what happened, but did the decision to sell happen some time after that terrible fire at Bradford? Football, and wooden stands (like Leicester's) were then deemed unsafe.

I think the Bradford fire was 1985 ,so later than the sale of Blackbird Rd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I think the Bradford fire was 1985 ,so later than the sale of Blackbird Rd.

...and of course Hyde Road (1988) went the same way with its largely wooden stands.

27 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Certainly his book "Walkabout" is well worth a read...lots of anecdotes and his obvious devotion to the sport.

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and of course Hyde Road (1988) went the same way with its largely wooden stands.

Ah yes Hyde Rd , so many memories. The BLRC was always around the date of our son's birthday so each year it was a family day out , firstly the Zoo, then off to the speedway which was always a great atmosphere & when that finished the rest of the evening at the funfair along with many other supporters .Great times .:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Ah yes Hyde Rd , so many memories. The BLRC was always around the date of our son's birthday so each year it was a family day out , firstly the Zoo, then off to the speedway which was always a great atmosphere & when that finished the rest of the evening at the funfair along with many other supporters .Great times .:)

My first visit to Hyde Road was in 1985 and unfortunately the zoo and funfair had gone by then. My last visit was in 1987 and the stadium was looking somewhat sorry for itself by then but no questioning the standard of racing.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

My first visit to Hyde Road was in 1985 and unfortunately te zoo and funfair had gone by thenh. My last visit was in 1987 and the stadium was looking somewhat sorry for itself by then but no questioning the standard of racing.

One of the very few benefits of being an"oldie" for me.:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

I understood fully Ochiltree was a shareholder in midland sports and they (midland sports) sold out to Barrett’s end of.

you believe what you want 

2 hours ago, midlandred said:

You omit the word ‘minority’, of course. ‘They’, the company, sold the Blackbird Road site. No river was ever involved.

How do you know how many shares he had ?Ochiltree shareholder  and midland sports sold leicester end of

3 minutes ago, Toady said:

How do you know how many shares he had ?Ochiltree shareholder  and midland sports sold leicester end of

Whatever!!!

3 minutes ago, Toady said:

I understood fully Ochiltree was a shareholder in midland sports and they (midland sports) sold out to Barrett’s end of.

you believe what you want 

But, just as final comment on this subject, that isn't what you first claimed. 

21 minutes ago, Toady said:

Because it is publicly available information that you can get from Companies House.

PS Gilmour was Saunderson's accountant, so in all likelihood a nominee holding for Saunderson family members.

Edited by arnieg