British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

List of Speedway promoters past & present.

14 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

But, just as final comment on this subject, that isn't what you first claimed. 

It was exactly as I said co midland sports shareholder sold out or if he was so opposed to the sale then his colleagues never listened when he spoke as you claimed originally.

19 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Because it is publicly available information that you can get from Companies House.

PS Gilmour was Saunderson's accountant, so in all likelihood a nominee holding for Saunderson family members.

Interesting Ochiltree had 27% then quite a substantial amount so stood to gain quite a lot from the sale

Post War promoters at my club (Birmingham's) track have been:

Les Marshall, George Buck (no relation to me!), Phil Hart, Doug Ellis, Joe and Bill Thurley, Colin Barber, John Berry,  Dan McCormick, Jeff May, Tom Evitts, Les Powell, Duncan Corbett, Tony Mole, Graham Drury, Gary Patchett,  Alan Phillips, Chris Luty, David Mason and Nigel Tolley.

Pre-War promoters (before my time!) were: Bill Dallison and Arthur Westwood.

Edited by Brian Buck
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Buck said:

Post War promoters at my club (Birmingham's) track have been:

Les Marshall, George Buck (no relation to me!), Phil Hart, Doug Ellis, Joe and Bill Thurley, Colin Barber, John Berry,  Dan McCormick, Jeff May, Tom Evitts, Les Powell, Duncan Corbett, Tony Mole, Graham Drury, Gary Patchett,  Alan Phillips, Chris Luty, David Mason and Nigel Tolley.

Pre-War promoters (before my time!) were: Bill Dallison and Arthur Westwood.

Brian, Is Gary Patchett and Graham Drury still involved in speedway? 

Are you differentiating between promoters and directors (shareholders). Glasgow directors include Ian and Johnnie Hoskins (1946- 54) Tommy Miller and Junior Bainbridge (1956) Trevor Redmond, Rob Netcott, (Trevor's father in law) and the Hoskins from 1964. Danny Taylor bought out Redmond and Netcott in 1967 and subsequently sold out to Les Whaley in 1968. The Hoskins sold ahead of the 1972 season to Jimmy Beaton and Neil Macfarlane, while James Wallace bought out Whaley during the 1972 season. 

• Like 1

No mention of Reg Fearman? A controversial character in some eyes but his enthusiasm and dedication did get Reading up and running again until internal politics forced him to resign. His book is well worth a read.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

No mention of Reg Fearman? A controversial character in some eyes but his enthusiasm and dedication did get Reading up and running again until internal politics forced him to resign. His book is well worth a read.

Did Mr Fearman ever pay back Middlo for the testimonial money he kept?

29 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Did Mr Fearman ever pay back Middlo for the testimonial money he kept?

He gives an interesting account in his book regarding the whole sorry affair at Poole.

"Many people were owed money, including tradespeople and riders, and Neil Middleditch, whose testimonial money was swallowed up in the liquidation. Many people believed that his testimonial money went into my pocket. Nothing could be further from the truth. My co-promoter and co-director in the latter stages of the Poole operation was Brian Maidment. It was he who was on the testimonial committee. With hidsight, of course, a seperate bank account should have been opened up but we were not to know that the bank was going to foreclose. My five year tenure at Poole Stadium saw me, personally, lose more than £250.000 and also a great deal of esteem..."

Edited by steve roberts

48 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

He gives an interesting account in his book regarding the whole sorry affair at Poole.

"Many people were owed money, including tradespeople and riders, and Neil Middleditch, whose testimonial money was swallowed up in the liquidation. Many people believed that his testimonial money went into my pocket. Nothing could be further from the truth. My co-promoter and co-director in the latter stages of the Poole operation was Brian Maidment. It was he who was on the testimonial committee. With hidsight, of course, a seperate bank account should have been opened up but we were not to know that the bank was going to foreclose. My five year tenure at Poole Stadium saw me, personally, lose more than £250.000 and also a great deal of esteem..."

So the answer is no. The then Poole promotion would have known full well how financially close to the edge they were. It’s bad enough not paying “tradespeople and riders” but to bank someone else’s money in your account when there’s a doubt that you’ll be able to pay it over is unforgivable. In my view

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

So the answer is no. The then Poole promotion would have known full well how financially close to the edge they were. It’s bad enough not paying “tradespeople and riders” but to bank someone else’s money in your account when there’s a doubt that you’ll be able to pay it over is unforgivable. In my view

...apparently!

Bernard Crapper and John Payne (representing Northern Sports) were pretty good as promoters and Bernard, especially, would introduce a bit of banter just to get things moving along so to speak!

Has anyone mentioned that "rogue" Ian Thomas? He certainly livened things up especially with his "interpretation" of the rule book!

Edited by steve roberts

Of course all the rotten promoters were Conservatives and the decent ones Labour. Such is life   or life as the left wing loonies  on here would like us all to believe

• Haha 1

Bill Barker at King's Lynn? Now there's a conundrum...co-promoter  at the time Malcolm Simmons gives an insight in his book regarding wheeling and dealing with Barker. Terry Lindon at Berwick another shady character.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Bill Barker at King's Lynn? Now there's a conundrum...co-promoter  at the time Malcolm Simmons gives an insight in his book regarding wheeling and dealing with Barker. Terry Lindon at Berwick another shady character.

Cash in the biscuit tin and a farting dog :rofl:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Cash in the biscuit tin and a farting dog :rofl:

...which was deaf if I remember?