British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

MDL to return

After discussions the 2023 Midland Development League will  comprise of three teams meeting each other  home and away.

Reigning champions Birmingham DUCTAIR Bulls are back aiming for their 4th successive title after wins in 2019, 2021 and 2022 .

Unfortunately 2022 members Kent and Wolverhampton are not competing in the league this time but are both doing challenge second halves and individual events.

Birmingham are entering a  second side at Perry Barr in the newly formed Buffaloes sponsored by Birmingham Supporters Club.

Joining them will be the Redcar Cubs , who are also competing in the Northern Junior League , but like Birmingham, run regular second halves for the youngsters.

League co-ordinator, Laurence Rogers, is pleased to have three sides in the league but would have liked more, “I was determined that this development league would continue . Like our sister tracks in the NJL we have produced a whole host of riders who started off their first experience of riding in a team in  league racing.”

“I had hoped that more tracks would have joined us but , despite trying to get some more tracks do it, we are down to the bare minimum to run a league. Seeing that Edinburgh had been allowed to run two NJL sides I approached Neil Vatcher to enquire if we could run two teams out of Birmingham and this has been approved. We have run two teams before when Milton Keynes  were based at Perry Barr.”

“I have a list of riders eligible for the MDL which incudes a few new 15 year old I have been monitoring and who will be used in either the Bulls or Buffaloes squads which will be run as separate sides.”

“I must thank Jamie Swales and the Redcar management for stepping in as the third side in the league. The league is primarily aimed at giving young riders valuable track time and learning to be involved in a team environment that will stand them in good stead for the future.”

“In addition to the MDL fixtures we will be staging some challenge encounters plus doing an individual series like we did before and some 125cc and 250cc racing  with the aim of running a second half every meeting.”

“ I am working on the fixtures and will release the dates as soon as they are all confirmed.”

“With no southern based teams we can revert the name of the league to the MDL in 2023.”

And it's a damned disgrace that no other teams are putting out an MDL team! Where are new riders expected to learn their trade? Very few can go directly into the National League, 'Development' or not.

18 minutes ago, *JJ said:

And it's a damned disgrace that no other teams are putting out an MDL team! Where are new riders expected to learn their trade? Very few can go directly into the National League, 'Development' or not.

NJL still going strong, though....

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

I don't think the question is "Where are new riders expected to learn their trade?"

The worrying question is "Where are new riders?"

It's all very well saying there should be a MDL of more than 3 teams, but just 3 teams needs 12 riders.   Can you name me 12 riders within reach of the Midlands aged 15-21 who would be suitable for this MDL with a chance to progress to the NDL in future?

I'll wait....

26 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I don't think the question is "Where are new riders expected to learn their trade?"

It's all very well saying there should be a MDL of more than 3 teams, but just 3 teams needs 12 riders.   Can you name me 12 riders within reach of the Midlands aged 15-21 who would be suitable for this MDL with a chance to progress to the NDL in future?

I'll wait....

Good point. I applaud both clubs for giving youth a chance but TWO clubs is hardly a league, and one from the north doesn’t make it a MDL league, it is what it is, two clubs trying their best to give youngsters rides. 
personally I’d like to see it with the NJL format with the teams incorporating two 125cc riders and yes, there’s quite a few of those around the midlands, but I’m not decrying the effort being made by both clubs. Just goes to show the state the sport is in when this is called a ‘ league’.

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Good point. I applaud both clubs for giving youth a chance but TWO clubs is hardly a league, and one from the north doesn’t make it a MDL league, it is what it is, two clubs trying their best to give youngsters rides. 
personally I’d like to see it with the NJL format with the teams incorporating two 125cc riders and yes, there’s quite a few of those around the midlands, but I’m not decrying the effort being made by both clubs. Just goes to show the state the sport is in when this is called a ‘ league’.

The njl with the 125s included is such a better format 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone must understand that a lot of old timers, like my Dad supported teams now long gone.

But they still have an affinity to them and although never happening these teams will not return.

So any of the so called Ghost teams who they loved, were appearing in these leagues they would sponsor them and support them financially.

Is a trick being missed here?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Everyone must understand that a lot of old timers, like my Dad supported teams now long gone.

But they still have an affinity to them and although never happening these teams will not return.

So any of the so called Ghost teams who they loved, were appearing in these leagues they would sponsor them and support them financially.

Is a trick being missed here?

No that trick was taken away by the authorities

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I'll wait....

There would be plenty of riders if promoters could be bothered to help them. Some years ago, I was involved in helping a rider (see avatar left) who progressed to the MDL when there were quite a few teams, complete with all of the necessary riders. He rode for Wolverhampton Wolf Cubs, Stoke Spitfires, Scunthorpe Stags, Weymouth Wildcats, Buxton Juniors, Mildenhall and others all of which have disappeared. If the effort was made by those supposedly in charge, the riders would be there.

As for your question, I am now out of touch with it all, but someone could probably answer it.

Edited by *JJ

7 hours ago, *JJ said:

There would be plenty of riders if promoters could be bothered to help them.

That is just completely untrue.   

If you think it's true, I repeat my challenge for you to name all these riders aged 15+ who could ride in an MDL league aiming to put themselves in the shop window for an NDL place.

It's not the case that the rider pool has dried up because there are no MDL teams.   The reality is that there are no MDL teams because the rider pool dried up and the people running them couldn't get enough riders to staff them.

The British Youth System does a good job with what it has, but there are very few riders even in the youth system, and many of them are several years away from turning 15.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

If you think it's true, I repeat my challenge for you to name all these riders aged 15+ who could ride in an MDL league aiming to put themselves in the shop window for an NDL place.

It's not the case that the rider pool has dried up because there are no MDL teams.   The reality is that there are no MDL teams because the rider pool dried up and the people running them couldn't get enough riders to staff them.

The British Youth System does a good job with what it has, but there are very few riders even in the youth system, and many of them are several years away from turning 15.

Chicken and egg

40 minutes ago, Binman said:

Chicken and egg

Covid meant that no newbies got on a speedway bike, the current issues are due to lack of investment in providing any sort of opportunities for people to try speedway without committing to purchasing a bike and everything else and now we are seeing the results of this, a lack of riders and a lack of opportunities. How many tracks have second half racing outside of the NJL and Birmingham ?

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Covid meant that no newbies got on a speedway bike, the current issues are due to lack of investment in providing any sort of opportunities for people to try speedway without committing to purchasing a bike and everything else and now we are seeing the results of this, a lack of riders and a lack of opportunities. How many tracks have second half racing outside of the NJL and Birmingham ?

Wolves did all last year and are doing this year , scunny also have second halves at most meetings if you want them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Yes, it is true; bitter experience.