British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Belle Vue v Sheffield 27 March

A good meeting with decent racing.

Well done the Tigers, they fully deserved their win and as has been said before, they look the team to beat this season.

Having said that, there were a lot of positives for Belle Vue as well, with Kurtz, Lidsey, Blodorn and Brennan all having their moments. Undoubtably Bewley will score far heavier in the future, so I'm not that downhearted.

Spotted Chris Holder sat in the grandstand behind us as well.

2 good meetings with the 2 best teams in the league. 

out gating tonight was embarrassing. They need to sort that. 

4 points not good enough for a no1 but Sheffield can looks at Ellis 2 points not being good enough to. 

So well done Sheffield, speedway was the winner from both legs 

Belle Vue lose Fricke Zagar and Etheridge and replace with Bewley Lidsey and Mulford

Thats a weaker side than last season by some way and I think unless changes are made they may only struggle to top 4 but it’s all about opinions 

Sheffield already proving they're head and shoulders above everyone this season.

Just a rock solid 1-7 throughout to a point where it's hard to see them losing meetings.

11 hours ago, Heathcote said:

I somehow doubt the superheat will come into play tonight, the 5 tigers remaining from last season only averaged 28 points a meeting between them on their 4 visits to the NSS last season. The addition of Bellego and Gilkes to the septet will not be adding a further 14 points to that total.

Sheffield will have to up their games massively, or Belle Vue have some terrible luck for the Tigers to get close to 40 points this evening 

But this Belle Vue septet is nowhere near as strong at the NSS as the one that went unbeaten in the league at home.
Zagar is as good as any rider bar none there, Lidsey may become that but I can't imagine he's close at the moment.
Etheridge has far more experience  Mulford.
But I guess 8/10 times you'd take Bewley over Fricke.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A good start to the season though, looking forward to the PCMM next week...

Any idea of the line-up yet?

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

You beat Belle Vue home and away at start of 2022 too, nothing is won now, just about making top 4 then decided in play offs. 

Wasn't in the league, Jake Allen rather than Zagar.  That is a huge difference,.

6 hours ago, Col said:

But this Belle Vue septet is nowhere near as strong at the NSS as the one that went unbeaten in the league at home.
Zagar is as good as any rider bar none there, Lidsey may become that but I can't imagine he's close at the moment.
Etheridge has far more experience  Mulford.
But I guess 8/10 times you'd take Bewley over Fricke.

Any idea of the line-up yet?

Wasn't in the league, Jake Allen rather than Zagar.  That is a huge difference,.

Zagar hot and cold,should of chased allen signature for 23,lions gain

• Haha 1

Sheffield the better team and deserved winners.  The Aces just didn't make a gate all night, never seen such consistently poor gating.  That said we also didn't ride the track very well, Sheffield got dialed in much quicker and rode the right lines most of the night.  Always going to struggle when your number 1 gets 4 points at home, which I guess will be his lowest score all season.  Luckily it's not how you start a season it's how you finish.  Belle Vue can and will improve.

12 hours ago, Gavan said:

Belle Vue lose Fricke Zagar and Etheridge and replace with Bewley Lidsey and Mulford

Thats a weaker side than last season by some way and I think unless changes are made they may only struggle to top 4 but it’s all about opinions 

What changes would you make?  We will make top 4, lots of improvement in this team.  Bewley Averaged 5.5 across these meetings and he's a 9 point rider, slow start for him nothing more.  lidsey will add 2 to his average, I expect Tom and Norrick to Improve also, Mulford it's early days let's see where he is at mid season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

What changes would you make?  We will make top 4, lots of improvement in this team.  Bewley Averaged 5.5 across these meetings and he's a 9 point rider, slow start for him nothing more.  lidsey will add 2 to his average, I expect Tom and Norrick to Improve also, Mulford it's early days let's see where he is at mid season. 

That’s right ,early days yet but nice to kick off with wins

Both teams ‘carried’ a heat leader last night in Bewley and Ellis, you’d expect both to be up there on the score charts but wasn’t too be, see they both went out after the meeting to test so hopefully both teams see the benefit of that.

For Belle Vue thought Blodorn was very solid at #2 not overawed by being in the main body of the team, Lidsey was up there challenging and Kurtz was fast and forceful.  As for Sheffield Holder and Musielak did what you want from a #1 and #5, with Bellego supporting them well and Howarth picking up vital points, the key to me though was the points scored by Kerr and Gilkes, you want your Rising Star to take points off the opposition one and Gilkes did that each time they raced each other, with Kerr out scoring Brennan it definitely helped with the win

• Like 1

BV will get Zagar in before the play-offs, I'm 100% certain that it's going to happen.

BV management have already been given a wake up call that the current 1-7 won't be strong enough to stop Sheffield this season, Yes Bewley won't ride like that ever again but neither will Adam Ellis.

Sheffield almost hitting 50 (Twice) against the Champions with a HL scoring 7+3 from 8 rides is already an ominous sign for the rest of the league.

7 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

With Peterborough seeming to have a big crowd what was is like at belle Vue?

Poor , plenty on the back straight but main grandstand looked very thin for an opening meeting 

3 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Poor , plenty on the back straight but main grandstand looked very thin for an opening meeting 

That's a shame.