British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Emil Sayfutdinov and Co bring in the crowds?

Watching Emil Sayfutdinov race last night was something special.    Do you think Ipswitch have done a big favour to alot of other clubs to bring in the crowds when he rides away at other tracks this year in the UK ?

When Ipswitch are in town its a definite one to watch and hopefully if Nick Pederson is ok that should help bring in a few extra in through the gates around the country.

Anyone else ?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, orion said:

For all the moans  on why crowds have dropped its always been quite clear to me that the main ireason s that the standard of rider has . The most stupid thing  I kept  hearing on her is that we don't need top riders. What other sport would work like that. If Emil or Nicki are riding at my local I'm going its as simple as that. .

The issue was twofold for many as to why they walked away. 

Not just the standard of top flight rider's dropping but also the increased admission fees. 

As for increased gates because of Emil & Co, it's only a short-term boost, doesn't really add much to clubs profit margins at all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, orion said:

For all the moans  on why crowds have dropped its always been quite clear to me that the main ireason s that the standard of rider has . The most stupid thing  I kept  hearing on her is that we don't need top riders. What other sport would work like that. If Emil or Nicki are riding at my local I'm going its as simple as that. .

Correct. You could have a darts match between two pub players who were evenly matched and have a good tight contest but only averaging 60-70 and you wouldn’t fill one table at the ally pally. Roll out the Van Gerwen’s and Gerwyn Price’s averaging ton plus and you’re packing the place out. Speedway isn’t as popular as darts though obviously but it’s the same principle albeit on a smaller scale. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 4

Well the riders were commenting on how big the crowd at Peterborough was last night, so can only be a good thing imo. 

It's a no brainer, bigger names mean more punters through the gate. 

• Like 1

I had a couple of friends travel up from Hertfordshire last night because of the riders on show, I’m sure that was the case for a few others to

3 of us made a 2 hour journey we wouldn't have done without the returning riders. It's obvious better riders better racing. Monmore gets a lot of criticism but when all the top riders were here the racing was fantastic 

• Like 2

Nobody doubts top riders draw crowds. The problem is that the top riders don't want to ride in Britain due to money and logistics. They're happy just to do Poland and the GPs.

The only reason Nicki is riding in Britain is to boost his pension fund. Emil is riding in Britain because of his GP ban / being rusty due to the Russian ban.

If Emil is invited back into the GPs next year, will he be riding in the Premiership next year? I highly doubt it.

Edited by BassoRacingFan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

I had a couple of friends travel up from Hertfordshire last night because of the riders on show, I’m sure that was the case for a few others to

I guess the 'proof of the pudding' will be if they travel up to attend every meeting?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I guess the 'proof of the pudding' will be if they travel up to attend every meeting?!

Since the line ups in the league seem stronger generally I’m sure they will, 4/5 years ago they probably wouldn’t of bothered 

38 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The issue was twofold for many as to why they walked away. 

Not just the standard of top flight rider's dropping but also the increased admission fees. 

As for increased gates because of Emil & Co, it's only a short-term boost, doesn't really add much to clubs profit margins at all. 

How would know.. At the end of day if you get enough fans they can pay for themselfs..You can apply that principle  to any job.

Absolutely. Have only attended 2 domestic meetings since my club closed in 2018. The poor standard and the nonsense of riders riding for 2 teams of basically the same standard have put me off.

Ipswich is 70-odd miles from me so will attend a few matches this season just to see Emil. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

I do worry about British Speedway messing it up as usual though and demonstrating a lack of professionalism like last night at Peterborough with the floodlights and moving the white line. Riders like Emil and Nicki will just bin it off if that happens along with people like me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Watching Emil Sayfutdinov race last night was something special.    Do you think Ipswitch have done a big favour to alot of other clubs to bring in the crowds when he rides away at other tracks this year in the UK ?

When Ipswitch are in town its a definite one to watch and hopefully if Nick Pederson is ok that should help bring in a few extra in through the gates around the country.

Anyone else ?

Yes is the simple answer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

3 of us made a 2 hour journey we wouldn't have done without the returning riders. It's obvious better riders better racing. Monmore gets a lot of criticism but when all the top riders were here the racing was fantastic 

The top riders have always been able to cope better at Monmore due to their advanced technical skills, but it's  riders who want to fly around the boards that can't master the tight turns .Typical example is Leon Flint,racing at the big Berwick track and then having to come to the Green certainly isn't easy.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman