British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP Round 1 Gorican Saturday April 29th

36 minutes ago, iainb said:

Ah, I was watching it on discovery plus where they cut to Scott Nicholls in the pits during the ad breaks

So did I , much better showing the GP without countless ad breaks and Nicholls is quite good at his job.

The GP was a complete and utter gate and go show and although the rain didn’t help I don’t think it affected it as much as most thought it would.

The four of us watching though Woffinden and Bewley would pick the two best gates (Red and Yellow) in the second SF but no they decided to let Zmarzlik select Red and paid the ultimate price as he outgated both of them, up till then they both looked quite quick, but they both blew it big style in the semi.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Once again the FIM speedway website(Discovery) are unable to get the scores right !!!!

Fricke and Jack Holder are wrong

Bewley and Michelsen are also wrong

https://fimspeedway.com/results/2023-fim-speedway-gp-of-croatia-donji-kraljevec

It shows there is something wrong with the scoring system if the commentators don't know who ranks higher, it's unforgivable that the organisers can't work it out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

It shows there is something wrong with the scoring system if the commentators don't know who ranks higher, it's unforgivable that the organisers can't work it out!

Nobody knows... and if even R&R can't get it right, the ultimate test, the scoring system is not fit for purpose

• Like 3

I personally think they should go back to the old system of every point counts towards your total 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, chunky said:

Anyway, if Doyle hadn't hit that rut, I don't think Zmarzlik would have caught him..

Can't agree with that we will never know, IMO Bart  would still have won Doyle fell off all by himself he  appears on the edge of doing so to me a lot of the  time bucking and rearing in most of his races .

Edited by FAST GATER

I was never a big fan of the GP,s but the series was something new and i embraced it, but it became played out for me a few seasons ago, apart from being mainly a closed shop its becoming a one horse race, Zmarslik was always going to win last season and barring injury and mechanical issues cannot see any serious challenger for his title, hes a great talent and a nice bloke not his fault hes way above the rest but the series is becoming boring.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Watching him at work was probably one of the most entertaining things about last night... he was doing his job and he was doing it really well, British Speedway are lucky to have him onboard... I just hope it's not too late!

What exactly is he going to bring to British Speedway? Genuinely what are his credentials? Aside from almost paralysing David McAllan. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grachan said:

Is he though? How can we be sure that Bartosz is the best around if he cannot prove it against the still undefeated 2021 World Champion?

At the moment his wins are "asterix" wins. He is a Joe Frazier rather than a Muhammad Ali.

He may well be a class above any other rider now, but he needs to prove it because last time he was pitted against Artem Laguta he lost.

The Russians need to be there.

You can only beat what's in front of you I'm afraid. Your right we need the Russians back. Laguta could have been a double world champion for all we know. But he's not which is a real shame .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

I was never a big fan of the GP,s but the series was something new and i embraced it, but it became played out for me a few seasons ago, apart from being mainly a closed shop its becoming a one horse race, Zmarslik was always going to win last season and barring injury and mechanical issues cannot see any serious challenger for his title, hes a great talent and a nice bloke not his fault hes way above the rest but the series is becoming boring.

Yea it's shocking that the best rider wins every year..  Not sure what this closed shop is.. You have a route to make it to the GPS if your good enough..The old system. One off world finals was a complete Joke and rely on luck most of the time..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, orion said:

Yea it's shocking that the best rider wins every year..  Not sure what this closed shop is.. You have a route to make it to the GPS if your good enough..The old system. One off world finals was a complete Joke and rely on luck most of the time..

yes mauger, rickardson, fundin, briggs all very lucky.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Grachan said:

Is he though? How can we be sure that Bartosz is the best around if he cannot prove it against the still undefeated 2021 World Champion?

At the moment his wins are "asterix" wins. He is a Joe Frazier rather than a Muhammad Ali.

He may well be a class above any other rider now, but he needs to prove it because last time he was pitted against Artem Laguta he lost.

The Russians need to be there.

Jan O' Pedersen hasn't defended the 1991 title yet so everything since then has an asterix.

Laguta no doubt had a fine Dave Norris season in 2021 but, as with all Russians in sport, you have to question whether they were up to something when they win.  Going from a bang average gating tart that struggled to make the top 8, to the worlds best in 5 minutes was no doubt 'fishy'.

Zmarzlik has proven it over a number of years, only failing to medal once in SGP. Would Laguta have coped with the technical Warsaw and Cardiff tracks in 2021? We'll never know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DazS said:

rickardson

Extremely lucky when he won his only one off in 1994.  Given a second chance to beat Nielsen, who was absolutely walking it, in a run off, after an absolutely dreadful refereeing decision in Nielsen's 4th ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

What exactly is he going to bring to British Speedway? Genuinely what are his credentials? Aside from almost paralysing David McAllan. 

Knowledge or he may have an idea wot he thinks may work? the gps seem to be run well and British speedway definitely needs a major change, is phil the man for the job we will see but he is better than whos running it now that is for certain.

Well done to all the British lads , hope their success from last night carries on for the rest of the season and we see a close contest for the title.

• Like 1