British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Phil Morris CEO of British Speedway.

4 minutes ago, Petecc said:

If you run 6 second half junior races that's 21 heats. Heat 11   ,just over half way through. 

This is an absolute must for me... and open the gates at maybe after heat 14 and let people in for free. This is exactly how I got into the sport at Leicester, they used to throw the gates open after heat 13 back in the day and you could get in and watch the "Reserve Romps" & "Junior Jaunts" for free. People these days aren't going to take a £21 punt on something they've never seen before and don't know whether they'll like or not, it'll also give junior riders competitive track time, it's a win win! Steve Park will come along and tell me why it can't be done though :D

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always used to watch the second halves at Brandon, heat leaders clashing in Rider of the Night heats and final.  Often stayed for the “third half” - remember watching Gary Guglielmi coming through from those races (and through the fence sometimes!).  Proper speedway days!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, midlandred said:

Always used to watch the second halves at Brandon, heat leaders clashing in Rider of the Night heats and final.  Often stayed for the “third half” - remember watching Gary Guglielmi coming through from those races (and through the fence sometimes!).  Proper speedway days!

Absolutely!

11 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Maybe heat 11 because that means all riders have had at least three of their programmed rides - the away no.1 being the last.  (I think)

You raise a good point re sun breaks which is a problem not unique to Leicester depending on month and time of day the meeting starts. Maybe a few 7pm starts will be introduce, although may not be as workable in midweek than weekends?

Maybe they should change the ruling to the completion of 11 races to call the result

• Like 1

Really good interview with Phil Morris on this week's edition of Round The Boards podcast. Look them up on Facebook, Twitter and Spotify as well as Anchor FM.

I've always said that If the unnecessary delays were stopped then this would give plenty of time for junior races after the main meeting.

It's easy to run the main meeting within 90 minutes 

Fans would have the choice wether to stay or go and opening the gates near to the end of the meeting is also a way forward.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, DBP said:

I've always said that If the unnecessary delays were stopped then this would give plenty of time for junior races after the main meeting.

It's easy to run the main meeting within 90 minutes 

Fans would have the choice wether to stay or go and opening the gates near to the end of the meeting is also a way forward.

Agree absolutely...I always stayed to the bitter end and that was my choice. I used to enjoy the old second half whether it was the "Rider of the Night" qualifying heats and Final or Junior Match. Those who wished to leave at the end of the main event was their choice.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Agree absolutely...I always stayed to the bitter end and that was my choice. I used to enjoy the old second half whether it was the "Rider of the Night" qualifying heats and Final or Junior Match. Those who wished to leave at the end of the main event was their choice.

I never understood those who wanted to do away with the "meaningless" second-halves. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, they often used to invite a "guest" star to compete in the second half, and I thought it was great!

• Like 6

I'm not sure if I've missed something here but the recent sunny weather has prompted me to ask if Phil is behind the apparent demise of the Sun Break!

Edited by Happy Hunter
Spelling!

2 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

I'm not sure if I've missed something here but the recent sunny weather has prompted me to ask if Phil is behind the apparent demise of the Sun Break!

Had one at Poole last week.

When was the one at Leicester last Saturday? Did it coincide with one of the repair to air bag breaks. There wasn't one at Leicester last night when we might have expected one.

On 4/25/2023 at 6:11 PM, chunky said:

I never understood those who wanted to do away with the "meaningless" second-halves. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, they often used to invite a "guest" star to compete in the second half, and I thought it was great!

Who can forget, at The Shay, the climax of the second half racing (which, IIRC, used to involve most members of each team): the Cockhill Motors Snowball Final.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Who can forget, at The Shay, the climax of the second half racing (which, IIRC, used to involve most members of each team): the Cockhill Motors Snowball Final.

...or at Cowley "The Luxicars Snowball".

• Like 1

At Canterbury, back in the 70's and 80's, there was a 2 hour curfew as part of the planning permission and most meetings were completed in that time. This included.

7.00pm - Introduction of riders and one lap parade.

13 Heat match, including 4 track grades often.

Interval.

Junior race.

Reserves race - 2 home reserves and 2 best juniors.

Heats 1 - 4 of second half final qualification, heat winners to final.

Junior race.

Second Half Final - One the hardest races of the night - even though the points were normally split ( race points 6 /4 = one and a half points each in your pay), nobody wanted to be beaten by a team mate or opposition rider, and wanted that all important trophy...lol. The home promoter often hated them for fear of losing one of his top riders through some over zealous riding to win the race. 

Total 21 races and the 2 minutes didn't get used all the time, because bikes were brought out onto the track as soon as the riders were returning to the pits. No returning to the pits after a restart by the ref.

Happy days and fans not complaining of drawn out meetings.

• Like 3