British Speedway Forum
rearingtogo

Phil Morris CEO of British Speedway.

39 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Let's be realistic, it's never going to happen. There's bigger issues in speedway than what people wear. 

These little things do matter, they all add up, when the cameras are there it’s not a good look when the camera pans round and what you see looks like a scene from rap video, clear the pits of hangers on and get the staff mechanics wearing team stuff 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

These little things do matter, they all add up, when the cameras are there it’s not a good look when the camera pans round and what you see looks like a scene from rap video, clear the pits of hangers on and get the staff mechanics wearing team stuff 

I don't think I've ever seen so many kids in the pits as that meeting.

Every time they panned to Lemon or Sam there were about 4 kids hanging around there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

All those that are in the pits could/should be wearing branded clothing with the league sponsors blazoned all over them that Phil could bring with him and hand out at the start of the meeting, if clubs don't want to provide their own. These are the little things that he was looking into and addressing last year when he first took over, so he may very well have it all in hand. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Get real, who’s going to pay for the whole of the pits attendees to be dressed the same ?

The pits attendees can be two teams plus their mechanics , promoters and their ‘guests’ , various staff such as clerk of the course, pit Marshall’s, environment officer , tea ladies , track staff , second half riders, with parents in some cases, invited sponsors, ex riders ( if allowed in at that particular track ) and if it’s a double header there can be upto 100 people around.

Even track staff do not get provided with club clothing , usually just the team, team manager, promoter and his/her partner !

Bang on this. When I was part of track staff all we got was a hi-vis with a comets logo on the back. Had to buy the rest ourselves (boiler suits, boots etc)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

We see the pit shots in Poland it looks very organised controlled. Smart mechanics and no “hangers on “everywhere.Impressive IMO looks professional and decent crowds.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CTD26 said:

Bang on this. When I was part of track staff all we got was a hi-vis with a comets logo on the back. Had to buy the rest ourselves (boiler suits, boots etc)

We're talking about TV matches in the PL and Phil Morris 

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

We're talking about TV matches in the PL and Phil Morris 

I know that but I’m just adding my two pence into it like many others. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CTD26 said:

I know that but I’m just adding my two pence into it like many others. 

Nobody is suggesting that all and sundry, including the "tea ladies", be kitted out with team clobber, that's pointless. TV is a smoke and mirrors game, often it's all about camera angles, so, yes clear the pits of all of the hangers on and anybody that is likely to be shown on TV should be wearing some kind of uniform clothing (like the men in white coats back in the day, but probably a more modern take). It's a bit rough you being expected to provide your own protective clothing though, it's the least Worky should have done.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Nobody is suggesting that all and sundry, including the "tea ladies", be kitted out with team clobber, that's pointless. TV is a smoke and mirrors game, often it's all about camera angles, so, yes clear the pits of all of the hangers on and anybody that is likely to be shown on TV should be wearing some kind of uniform clothing (like the men in white coats back in the day, but probably a more modern take). It's a bit rough you being expected to provide your own protective clothing though, it's the least Worky should have done.

Agree with your point, for once haha. Yeah it was. That’s how it was back under the “old regime” unfortunately. Looked after everyone but the volunteers etc. Thankfully, no involvement with the new set up.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

1.Get real, who’s going to pay for the whole of the pits attendees to be dressed the same ?

2.The pits attendees can be two teams plus their mechanics , promoters and their ‘guests’ , various staff such as clerk of the course, pit Marshall’s, environment officer , tea ladies , track staff , second half riders, with parents in some cases, invited sponsors, ex riders ( if allowed in at that particular track ) and if it’s a double header there can be upto 100 people around.

3.Even track staff do not get provided with club clothing , usually just the team, team manager, promoter and his/her partner !

1. It is time to get real and drag the sport into this century and move it on from the past.

Nearly every club has team kevlars with each riders choice of sponsors emblazoned on them, it should be made compulsory in the rules that each team must             

wear official Club sanctioned wear. The club and sponsors can cover the costs.....period.

2. For any speedway meeting it should be sanctioned that promoters, team managers, riders and mechanics are allowed in the pits after the meeting has started.

(Several incidents in pits and in the safety exclusion zone between track and spectators have occurred in the last few years, so enforcement is necessary)

Guests: which include sponsors, parents, ex riders and any Tom, Dick or Harry should not be allowed in the pits, but accommodated in a prominent viewing area.

For double headers the next team allowed into the pits after heat 10 of first meeting.

3. Track staff to be supplied with official team Club sanctioned wear. The club and sponsors can cover the costs.....period.

Edited by secsy1
bad punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How many "new" supporters are going to be watching the meeting on the tele and how many are going to be rushing to their nearest track to watch it "in person" because the people in the pits "dress the same and look smart"?? Speedway has a heck of as long list to sort itself out first.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

If you watch on Discovery+ you don't get adverts. Just reruns of previous races and the odd interview.

And let's face it. Most of them are pretty odd :P

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

How many "new" supporters are going to be watching the meeting on the tele and how many are going to be rushing to their nearest track to watch it "in person" because the people in the pits "dress the same and look smart"?? Speedway has a heck of as long list to sort itself out first.

But those potential "new" fans wont know that at the time..

They will obviously quickly find out if they attend granted ..:D

What they should see though is the "brand" of each club, and the BSP, on show clearly portraying a professional image..

What they shouldn't see is a rag tag selection of "allsorts", who look just like spectators, (which many may even be)...

The kevlars, the bikes, and the riders, look ultra professional these days, therefore the rest of the "UK Speedway Brand" needs to look just as professional...

I would think you could kit the mechanics and team managers out similar to Poland, for a lot less than £1000...

And even probably get it paid for by sponsors who get their names on every T shirt, fleece, coat etc, every time any shot of the pits, or managers gets shown..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But those potential "new" fans wont know that at the time..

They will obviously quickly find out if they attend granted ..:D

What they should see though is the "brand" of each club, and the BSP, on show clearly portraying a professional image..

What they shouldn't see is a rag tag selection of "allsorts", who look just like spectators, (which many may even be)...

The kevlars, the bikes, and the riders, look ultra professional these days, therefore the rest of the "UK Speedway Brand" needs to look just as professional...

I would think you could kit the mechanics and team managers out similar to Poland, for a lot less than £1000...

And even probably get it paid for by sponsors who get their names on every T shirt, fleece, coat etc, every time any shot of the pits, or managers gets shown..

One problem of that is, how many mechanics have riders got these days?  

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're getting at, I just think that there are more pressing problems with the sport, before how people are dressed in the pits.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, StevePark said:

One problem of that is, how many mechanics have riders got these days?  

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're getting at, I just think that there are more pressing problems with the sport, before how people are dressed in the pits.

Like already pointed out, this clothing everyone with apt attire is purely only for TV meetings so its not a massive thing to achieve. It's the who gets into the pits that needs to be stricter and adhered to that needs sorting. Photographers wandering about etc, people who don't need to be in the vicinity. 

• Like 2