British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CountArthur

French clubs in BL?

This might be completely unworkable, but with the number of British tracks on the decline and a number of riders unable to get a team place, could it be feasible for any French sides to join the British League? It already happens in Poland with a German and a Latvian side in their league structure and I went to watch the Sheffield Eagles a couple of weeks ago in a second tier Rugby League match and the opponents were Toulouse.

Is this something that British speedway could consider? 

Does France have a speedway league? I recall Phillipe Berge riding for Oxford but I don't think that apeedway in France exists to any great degree?

They do. I'm not sure how many teams there are but Morizes, Marmande, La Reole and Miramont de Guyenne completed in round three of the French League a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure what sort of crowds they get but riders like David Bellego, Adam Ellis, Dmitri Berge, Steven Goret, Dan Gilkes, Theo and Ace Pijper and the Tresarrieu brothers took part.

There would be a cost of travelling to be considered but the riders are flying all over the place anyway and I'm sure something could be worked out.

Just a thought, and as I say, might not be feasible at all.

• Like 2

100% if a French club could attract enough punters to make it worthwhile?

Not that much different to when the IoW used to ride in the British League!

I think a team based in Dublin at one of the few dog tracks in the area could also work?

• Like 1

This is a Belgium track!

www.speedwayclubhelzold.be

Edited by Ray Stadia
I put the wrong link up

The obvious problem would be the difference in the number of meetings. Britain stages the most meetings by far, and outside of the main professional leagues, most countries and clubs will only run a handful of meetings each season.

A big commitment from club officials and riders would be necessary to run in a fully professional league.

How about a new topic... British clubs in FL? Because at the rate we're going that's a more realistic subject heading

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, steve roberts said:

Does France have a speedway league? I recall Phillipe Berge riding for Oxford but I don't think that apeedway in France exists to any great degree?

Look in the international section,for a list of French fixtures.

• Like 1

Once you take out Adam, David Bellego & Dimitri Bergé, there’s not enough depth in French riders to fill a 7 man team. The riders here are amateur and all clubs are near Bordeaux so travel would be a massive problem