British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

I know it’s said every year, but the AGM for 2024 will define the future of the sport. 

If I was Phil Morris, I would forget about trying to make 2023 work and just focus on 2024. I cannot see any option than a merger of the Premiership and Championship, be that a North/South split or just one big league, but if there is to be league racing, then a 5 team top flight would be an embarrassment.

I know we’ve had our fair share of rebrands, but Phil in his interviews has spoken of ‘uniformity’ across the top flight. Next season could be the chance to launch it fully. A top flight, at Championship standard (which I don’t see as a bad thing), with a professional image and branding.

oh, and make 2 minute clocks mandatory 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernComet said:

I know it’s said every year, but the AGM for 2024 will define the future of the sport. 

If I was Phil Morris, I would forget about trying to make 2023 work and just focus on 2024. I cannot see any option than a merger of the Premiership and Championship, be that a North/South split or just one big league, but if there is to be league racing, then a 5 team top flight would be an embarrassment.

I know we’ve had our fair share of rebrands, but Phil in his interviews has spoken of ‘uniformity’ across the top flight. Next season could be the chance to launch it fully. A top flight, at Championship standard (which I don’t see as a bad thing), with a professional image and branding.

oh, and make 2 minute clocks mandatory 

What gets me the 2023 season has only just got underway and we seem to have written off 2023 season- can’t go through the next 6 months like this British speedway needs to get its act together ASAP or more clubs will go by the way side . 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Haza said:

What gets me the 2023 season has only just got underway and we seem to have written off 2023 season- can’t go through the next 6 months like this British speedway needs to get its act together ASAP or more clubs will go by the way side . 

Like what? Nobody has pulled out this year it’s 2024 where the doubts are coming from. The only ones who have “written off” the 2023 season are TTT and his Panthers mates and that’s simply because of their crap start to the season!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Aries said:

Like what? Nobody has pulled out this year it’s 2024 where the doubts are coming from. The only ones who have “written off” the 2023 season are TTT and his Panthers mates and that’s simply because of their crap start to the season!

I agree - even this thread so early in the season seems premature to me the season is a month old and already talking about 2024 - Pboro and Wolves need to make the most of this season as we all do .

It was nice to read Rob Godfrey's rallying Churchillian war cry, FINALLY for some reason this Wolves news seems to have hit home with him despite his Charimanship since 2018 seeing the closure of Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Lakeside, Newcastle, Workington, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kent, Stoke and the expulsion of IoW. Like others have said with Edinburgh & Peterborough highly doubtful for next year and question marks around Poole's future and the annual Birmingham crisis it could be a total of 15 clubs gone in 5 years under his stewardship... FIFTEEN! Even if you factor in the return of Oxford, Worky & Kent... that's still 12 a number higher than any of the current 3 leagues we have running

• Like 5

Look at the state of the last 3 chairmen of the BSPA and in charge of the sport in this country: Harkess, Chapman and Godfrey. Grim.

• Like 5

This season started with so much promise - the return of Bewley, Sayfutdinov, Kasprzak and Pedersen seemingly signalling the return to a more glorious era with star names. The birth of a new Workington to add to the success of Oxford last season, Leicester taking the plunge in the top league again, and the promise of some British youngsters continuing their upward careers.

How could this turn so toxic and disappointing already? Peterborough's awful statement regarding their loss of Pedersen seemed to write off their season before it started, and now terrible news about Monmore Green has put another black cloud over the sport's future and it seems we're keen to discuss the death of British speedway again next season.

So many people were saying how they were looking forward to this season - a month in all optimism has gone! How about we revel in what we have for this summer? By all means protest and petition but let's enjoy what we have and spread a positive message - what this sport needs is fans, paying money over the gates and this negativity already this season isn't going to help. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, glenantony said:

So many people were saying how they were looking forward to this season - a month in all optimism has gone! How about we revel in what we have for this summer? By all means protest and petition but let's enjoy what we have and spread a positive message - what this sport needs is fans, paying money over the gates and this negativity already this season isn't going to help. 

This is exactly the problem with British Speedway right here. 

Every, season it's "wait until next year". Bury head in sand, happy clap, pretend all is rosy. 

This is the sort of stuff that needs to stop.

The ACU, SCB, BSP Ltd need to accept & take responsibility that there's a substantial problem.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This is exactly the problem with British Speedway right here. 

Every, season it's "wait until next year". Bury head in sand, happy clap, pretend all is rosy. 

This is the sort of stuff that needs to stop.

The ACU, SCB, BSP Ltd need to accept & take responsibility that there's a substantial problem.

You’re such a bloody drama queen you have to be one of the biggest glass half empty whinges on here you absolutely reek of negativity! You were trying to tell everyone yesterday that THIS season was basically over because of the news from Wolves and that everyone should now basically shut up shop. LOL what an absolute load of b0llocks. Sorry to disappoint you, but there’s an awful lot of people out there who are still very much enjoying their speedway and will continue to look forward to their speedway fix this season. 

Nobody was pleased to hear the news coming out of Wolves yesterday and of course it’s a big concern going forward as is the uncertainty from Peterborough and one or two others. But supporters can’t control what happens in 2024 so why should we all just join you in wallowing in complete misery? From what’s been said since, the white flag hasn’t been waved at Wolves in any case and the fight now commences. Have you joined in and signed the online petition to keep Wolves in operation? Let me guess, it’s not worth it because it’ll make no difference as you’ve already decided Wolves are now dead and buried. Am I right?

There will be British Speedway in 2024, guaranteed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to inject a bit of positivity isnt Workington back this year?

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Haza said:

It needs a six month, five year plan...:D

2 hours ago, glenantony said:

This season started with so much promise - the return of Bewley, Sayfutdinov, Kasprzak and Pedersen seemingly signalling the return to a more glorious era with star names. The birth of a new Workington to add to the success of Oxford last season, Leicester taking the plunge in the top league again, and the promise of some British youngsters continuing their upward careers.

How could this turn so toxic and disappointing already? Peterborough's awful statement regarding their loss of Pedersen seemed to write off their season before it started, and now terrible news about Monmore Green has put another black cloud over the sport's future and it seems we're keen to discuss the death of British speedway again next season.

Let's be honest, most of us know that winning any of the leagues or cups counts for very little from a kudos, publicity or financial reward angle..

So the best thing to do is just enjoy watching Doyle, Emil, Fricke, Holder, and Dan..

True World Class talent..

Tobi M too is always worth paying to see too, as is Brady Kurtz..

Add in the likes of Bomber and Wright and you can see some cracking action around the country...

Whichever team wins, don't worry about it, and just enjoy it, hopefully seeing 15 heats of decent entertainment.. 

Something I am sure will be "cobbled together" for next season which will be very similar, and not much different, to all the other seasons that have been "cobbled together" to deliver some racing..

Speedway in the UK still has a decent following when done well eg The PCMM at the NSS, and all the FIM events generate decent crowds over here..

Which shows there is still a fair old desire to watch it when delivered with some credibility and reward...

UK Speedway will continue to do what UK Speedway does so well..

Which is to make things up as they go along to deliver an evening of racing under the most tenuous team concept imaginable.. 

It's all they can do, and all we will have..

So just go along and watch the racing (which is as good as anything else I have seen in over 50 years of following the sport), without bothering about the outcome..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, iainb said:

It was nice to read Rob Godfrey's rallying Churchillian war cry, FINALLY for some reason this Wolves news seems to have hit home with him despite his Charimanship since 2018 seeing the closure of Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Lakeside, Newcastle, Workington, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kent, Stoke and the expulsion of IoW. Like others have said with Edinburgh & Peterborough highly doubtful for next year and question marks around Poole's future and the annual Birmingham crisis it could be a total of 15 clubs gone in 5 years under his stewardship... FIFTEEN! Even if you factor in the return of Oxford, Worky & Kent... that's still 12 a number higher than any of the current 3 leagues we have running

Minor point but IOW jumped ship of their own accord , they were not expelled.

I don't see any point in comparing one-off PCMM or FIM meetings with weekly league or cup speedway. It's different gravy and requires different approaches which will vary depending on the various locations and catchment areas.