British Speedway Forum
TTT

The future of British Speedway after the 2023 season

Will fans pay £20+ to see a much weaker product featuring 5 man teams?

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

I fear from rumours that there are 3 Clubs in that list that may not be around in 2024.

They don't include Workington. 

A couple due to possible planning / development concerns and one due to disenchantment of promotion. 

I am assuming you are thinking Poole and Brum. But can't think who the third one is..? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TTT said:

If same amount of heats I don't see why not. If you pay at the gate at Oxford it costs £22 at the moment anyway. Poole prob cheapest Champ club at £19.

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

I understand there are not enough riders really for a North/South split but can anymore be done to allow more commonwealth riders into British Speedway? maybe lowering the standard might attract some more German riders over as well?  At least clubs could potentially run on the nights that best suit them, perhaps working with the Danish/Swedish leagues regarding fixtures 

The next thing will be if its Championship pay then riders can't make it pay,  I always look to the British Superbike Championship, how many classes do they have these days 5 or 6, 40 rider grids, most riders earning money through personal sponsorship or they pay to ride, yes its only 12/13 weekends a year including Friday practice so they can work but if the pandemic showed anything, riders will get jobs to earn money

Under a North/South split you might get 1 or 2 at a club that earn ok money the rest are going to be part-time

This if you take all the negativity away is an opportunity to re-do British Speedway, and waiting for, make a 5 year plan to stick with 

• Like 1

Amalgamation.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

10 years too late.

British Speedway has always been run by jokers, and it’s finally caught up with them. 

Edited by rearingtogo
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, rearingtogo said:

British Speedway has always been run by jokers, and it’s finally caught up with them. 

It’s all been about self interest.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s all been about self interest.

But surely in the case of Peterborough and Wolverhampton, that can't be put down to self interest.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

If same amount of heats I don't see why not. If you pay at the gate at Oxford it costs £22 at the moment anyway. Poole prob cheapest Champ club at £19.

The entrance fee is completely irrelevant, a 5 team league is totally unworkable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TTT said:

Why would it be a 'much weaker product'? However riders without the doubling up option will want to demand a higher rate of pay from their one club, so the cost of admission will very much be relevant?

NB. I want to hear from Phil Morris......!

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

But surely in the case of Peterborough and Wolverhampton, that can't be put down to self interest.

Hmm partly true, partly not

So imagine if the sport had been run differently over recent years, we may not have the perception from all of these stadium owners that speedway is not profitable for them. 

A better product, more entertainment, more promotion may have attracted larger crowds which may have meant more money coming through the concession stands and higher rents to the stadium owners who would then be more keen to keep the sport? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I'll see your 6 and lower you 5 man teams?

Four team tournaments...

Like Denmark used to do...

Or three team tournaments with six riders each...

Or Best Pairs with three riders per team with seven teams each night in attendance 

Or...

Or...

Youth Hosteling with Chris Eubank...

Monkey Tennis!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Ice Hockey seem to do "ok" with 8 teams in the league..

With crowd levels most Speedway clubs in the UK would suggest are "bumper"..

Altrincham Ice Rink host Manchester Storm and over 2000 attend most matches..

And they are at the lower end of the crowd scale domestically...

Dont know if they have lower divisions though in Ice Hockey, but what they do is push the top level that they have in the UK..

Speedway will carry on in some form in the UK...

But for crying out loud, someone stop the nonsense operating model it runs with, someone bring some credibility and integrity  to what it offers up, someone market the sport professionally and collectively and someone take charge of cost controls and set limits...

Do that, and it may have chance...

Don't do that, and the current situation which has been delivered by steadfastly not doing any of the above, will sadly continue to work its way to an inevitable conclusion..

Sadly, all that could have been written 20 years ago, and just like then, it will be completely ignored by those seeing more importance in wondering which ringer to get in as a guest this Satirday somewhere ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would it be a 'much weaker product'? However riders without the doubling up option will want to demand a higher rate of pay from their one club, so the cost of admission will very much be relevant?

NB. I want to hear from Phil Morris......!

The league would be unbalanced due to the majority of Championship clubs not having the finances to compete.

They wouldn't agree to the Monday/Thursday race nights either because it's financial suicide for them so we could see fixtures taking place 5-7 nights a week and that rules riders who compete at the highest level out because they won't be able to fit dates in their diary's with Sweden on a Tue, Denmark on a Wed and Poland from Fri-Sun.