British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Were are the Brum Fans

Just got back from tonight’s meeting haven’t been for quite some time, I just couldn’t believe how few fans there were there, OK 4 meetings and 4 losses doesn’t help, But from what I’ve seen tonight I really can’t see them seeing the end of the season, I hope I’m wrong, There was no atmosphere nothing, having said that it wasn’t a bad meeting to watch as a neutral, But Birmingham fans have my sympathies 

Edited by Argos

Agreed the numbers last night were as bad as I've seen at any time since we moved to CL level in 2019.

I think there are speedway reasons, lack of strength in the team, indifference to BSN Cup and KOCCup and the opposition who are a team with a notoriously bad away support.

Bigger issue though I think is Cost of Living Crisis. There are simply too many other things to do in a big City with reduced disposable social income,  many don't even have that income any more. Those Clubs where Speedway has a higher profile with less other sporting attractions will ride out the storm better than I fear Clubs like Brummies will.

Fact of life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Agreed the numbers last night were as bad as I've seen at any time since we moved to CL level in 2019.

I think there are speedway reasons, lack of strength in the team, indifference to BSN Cup and KOCCup and the opposition who are a team with a notoriously bad away support.

Bigger issue though I think is Cost of Living Crisis. There are simply too many other things to do in a big City with reduced disposable social income,  many don't even have that income any more. Those Clubs where Speedway has a higher profile with less other sporting attractions will ride out the storm better than I fear Clubs like Brummies will.

Fact of life.

There are alot of things people need to prioritise before they attend a speedway meeting but fans dont turn up to watch their team lose so the success on track is needed to attract more fans. 

Nothing to do with BSN Cup or KOC, it’s just too expensive for people

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

Nothing to do with BSN Cup or KOC, it’s just too expensive for people

...or value for money? Do many, if any, tracks run a second half of sorts?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Unlikely, but to be fair that won’t get people coming back.

I don’t know the solution either other than cost, but the catch being the entrance has to be be that much to cover for everything.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

To be fair to Birmingham they do run second half for kids and 125cc so fair play to them. But not sure it helps with more fans coming in. 

1 minute ago, stevehone said:

Unlikely, but to be fair that won’t get people coming back.

I don’t know the solution either other than cost, but the catch being the entrance has to be be that much to cover for everything.

You're probably right but I certainly wouldn't entertain paying petrol money to travel to my nearest track (Sheffield/Scunthorpe/Redcar) from near Beverely for the sake of 15 races.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

To be fair to Birmingham they do run second half for kids and 125cc so fair play to them. But not sure it helps with more fans coming in. 

I guess nowadays fans are just interested in the main match which does raise the question is the admission fee just too much on top of everything else? We've been here many times on the BSF discussing this very point and there's no easy answer except cutting the overheads which would require running a semi-amateur sport requiring riders to take signifcant cuts but that's very unlikely to happen.

£20 is a fair price for a night out IMO, but I'm aware that its not the same for everyone. Having a poor side doesn't help!.... Having a slick track with no passing doesn't help...

I can't see where things are going to improve.

Blind faith/loyalty is what we're going to survive on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I guess nowadays fans are just interested in the main match which does raise the question is the admission fee just too much on top of everything else? We've been here many times on the BSF discussing this very point and there's no easy answer except cutting the overheads which would require running a semi-amateur sport requiring riders to take signifcant cuts but that's very unlikely to happen.

You know my feelings about "2nd halfs", as this was my way into Speedway and this biggest promotional tool the sport has, the let em in free option has been closed off with the abandonment of 2 halfs. £20 for something you may never have seen before is quite an outlay these days, but if you've been to a few 2nd half freebies and thought, I like the look of this you may be more inclined to shell out for the "real thing", I know me and my dad were and a lifelong hobby began. And I'm talking about proper 2nd halfs, not just junior track time practice sessions, 2nd halfs that involve the senior members of the club, maybe for them to try things out etc. It's time for the riders to step up to the plate to save the sport in this country by not disappearing as soon as the 15 heats are over to their next booking for a different club. And it wasn't just a tool to get fans in, it was also a tool to get local companies involved with sponsorship, companies would sponsor the Rider of the Night trophy and bring clients along and have their photo taken with the winner at the end of the night.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

£20 is a fair price for a night out IMO, but I'm aware that its not the same for everyone. Having a poor side doesn't help!.... Having a slick track with no passing doesn't help...

I can't see where things are going to improve.

Blind faith/loyalty is what we're going to survive on.

£20 is a fair price... but we love Speedway, would you pay £20 to go watch a MotoX meet? I have no interest in MX, don't know anything about it but having just done a quick google search there was a meeting at Oxford last year, Sunday entrance was £25 and for that there was nearly 5 hours track time... compared to our 15 minutes... actually for 5 hours I might :D

https://tmxnews.co.uk/news/motocross/british-motocross-championship/mxgb-2022-british-motocross-championship-guide-riders-travel/

Don't think the price is that bad. I just think it's a number of things that aren't helping the situation

1. The team isn't great this year

2. The location puts people off 

3. Birmingham speedway has been slowly declining for a while now

4. The cost of living 

5. Away fans don't want to travel there as much due to location and cost of living

6. Poor advertising around the area

7. The younger generation aren't interested or have never even heard of speedway 

8. Lack of local derbies

9. The viewing experience is only good in a few areas of the stadium.

6 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

Don't think the price is that bad. I just think it's a number of things that aren't helping the situation

1. The team isn't great this year

2. The location puts people off 

3. Birmingham speedway has been slowly declining for a while now

4. The cost of living 

5. Away fans don't want to travel there as much due to location and cost of living

6. Poor advertising around the area

7. The younger generation aren't interested or have never even heard of speedway 

8. Lack of local derbies

9. The viewing experience is only good in a few areas of the stadium.

All valid points....each individual will most likely relate to a few of these points.

For me...it's the team....the location isn't great as its a 25 mile round trip....the viewing areas are sh#te....what's causing concern atm is the 'slick track'....yawn yawn racing!!

• Like 1