British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Full Face Helmets - Who Was The First?

57 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

He left under a bit of a cloud. Came back to ride for Birmingham I think, memory sometimes lets me down these days..

Newport, actually...

I'm glad I have my books. I obviously can't remember off the top of my head these days.

Thank you for the info.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:07 AM, chunky said:

I remember Dave wearing one, but so far, I haven't been able to find a photo to confirm what year it was. However, I have seen a photo of Sunderland's John Goodall wearing one in 1971! Another rider from that era who wore a full-face helmet was Rayleigh's Alan Emmett.

Andy Meldrum got one midway through the 1970 having sustained some shocking facial and jaw injuries at Ipswich when wearing an open face injury. John Berry remembers in one of his books that he was in no hurry to see the extent of the injuries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beirao said:

Andy Meldrum got one midway through the 1970 having sustained some shocking facial and jaw injuries at Ipswich when wearing an open face injury. John Berry remembers in one of his books that he was in no hurry to see the extent of the injuries.

Yeah, I remember when Andy got injured; it was a bad one. I think there were a few who started wearing them in 1970, but I'd probably have to go through the old magazines to find them!

On 6/3/2023 at 10:46 PM, 25yearfan said:

If you talked to riders from the 60's a lot of them struggled when the pudding basin helmets were replaced by open faced helmets that went right round the side and over the ears because they couldn't hear as well! - I still recall seeing a few riders with pudding basin helmets in the early 70;s, when did these get outlawed?

Dave Jessup rode one meeting for Mildenhall at Wimbledon in 1988 which was his final one and he was still wearing a monkey mask. I'm not sure if he ever did wear a full faced helmet, the only time may have been when he was sponsored by Briggo in the early 70's? 

Ray Morton and Scott Swain are two of the last riders I remember who wore open faced helmets.

A question! - Are open faced helmets outlawed in present times or not? 

If you can find an open faced helmet with the correct approval standards then yes you can use one. They are still used in trials events, but these helmets are designed for such events & not permitted in racing disciplines.

The ACU Gold sticker is no longer a recognised approval in SCB/FIM speedway events

The issue in the late 60's and early 70's was that full face helmets had not been ACU approved despite being tested and certified by the stricter American Snell Safety Foundation consequently wearing the proven safer full face helmet earned the rider a £1 fine every meeting it was worn at.

• Like 2