British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Costa Mesa Speedway 50 Years & Still

4 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Always an interest comparison to "proper" speedway...I guess the nearest we had here in the UK were the indoor meetings of the late sevnties/early eighties which I went to a few.

I got to Costa Mesa, but never got to New Cross- how did they compare to each other in length and width?

8 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

I got to Costa Mesa, but never got to New Cross- how did they compare to each other in length and width?

Costa Mesa is much smaller.....New Cross was 262yards, Costa Mesa is 185yards.

In terms of racing they don't really compare if my memory serves me correctly, New Cross was a long time ago....however it was faster BUT in my opinion Costa Mesa is more exciting for the fans, especially when they have eight riders on the track. And not to mention fans are much closer to the action than New Cross.

Anyone else have a view on this?

Good stuff & thanks for the clip.  On Costa Mesa track length I read somewhere it measured 180 yds - but around the outside i.e. circumference of the safety fence, not 1 yard out from the white line as is tradition.  Happy to be corrected if not so, such things are important and I am a somewhat self-confessed 'track anorak' :)....

21 hours ago, andout said:

Costa Mesa is much smaller.....New Cross was 262yards, Costa Mesa is 185yards.

In terms of racing they don't really compare if my memory serves me correctly, New Cross was a long time ago....however it was faster BUT in my opinion Costa Mesa is more exciting for the fans, especially when they have eight riders on the track. And not to mention fans are much closer to the action than New Cross.

Anyone else have a view on this?

The current Plymouth track is only 236yards so is a better comparison. Even then, I think it still races more like an average sized track than Costa Mesa does.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest what is the smallest track currently in the UK?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest what is the smallest track currently in the UK?

Has to be the Plymouth track, as I have just found out above!

• Thanks 1

I agree andout-the fans at Costa Mesa  are really close to the track and the racing is exciting indeed

Dohren also one of the smallest tracks at 230 yards. Pretty much rides like a circle by the looks of it