British Speedway Forum
W9 Lion

Leicester v Sheffield

7 hours ago, Gambo said:

The same has been said by many people, many times! The two minutes rule as per FIM should have been adopted years ago. Not ready to race as the clock ticks down to zero...excluded!

Just got the answer Gambo!

Go back many moons and bring back concrete start areas !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gambo said:

The same has been said by many people, many times! The two minutes rule as per FIM should have been adopted years ago. Not ready to race as the clock ticks down to zero...excluded!

I think that is the rule isn't it? "IF" you have a clock on the in field

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I think that is the rule isn't it? "IF" you have a clock on the in field

Not in UK, just have to be on track and heading towards the start.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Thought I saw something in the regs about a clock was only looking at them the other day... I could be wrong of course

Although I was also looking at the FIM regs, so I probably am wrong :)

Edited by iainb

On 5/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, Gambo said:

We're kind of both right...

"If a track has a countdown clock, that can be operated solely by the Referee, then it is compulsory for the clock to be used. Riders must, at the expiry of this time allowance, be on track, under power, proceeding without stopping towards the starting gate"

Steve Worrall was excluded whilst gardening as the in field clock counted out. He was representing the Aces at the time so it may not be a rule and just SCB having a laugh with us again. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:34 PM, Spittaler said:

Is it just me or do other fans have same gripe?

This flipping eternal digging by riders at start. It's mind blowing 

I watched highlights of Leicester and Sheffield and imagine same at other meetings   it takes an age to get them settled at start with boot digging and scuffing 

Easy answer  Ban it or exclude under 2 minutes   be same for all riders if they just stopped it 

They could follow cycle speedway & make the riders wait at a "rest line" 5 metres from the tapes, then they are all called forward together, put the green light on immediately & then the tapes go up - no time for gardening. I'm sure the riders won't like it, but it'll be the same for everyone!

Edited by szkocjasid

If the start marshall calls you to the tapes and you’re not ready to race and don’t immediately do so you should be excluded as well.

• Like 1

Just follow the way Poland does it..

Riders all ready as soon as the previous race finishes.. 

They then get authorised to enter the track and know that in two minutes the tapes are going up..

Not really sure why it seems so difficult over here given so many are exactly the same riders who follow the Polish system every week with  no issues..

I see Phil Morris has introduced having riders ready into TG meetings, presume that is when the 2 mins are put on ie as they leave the pits? 

Riders also start in a straight line in Poland, rather than "at all angles" as often happens over here..

Maybe that also helps with less first bend incidents which we seem to get more of over here too, as riders clash..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

They then get authorised to enter the track and know that in two minutes the tapes are going up..

Not really sure why it seems so difficult over here given so many are exactly the same riders who follow the Polish system every week with  no issues..

I see Phil Morris has introduced having riders ready into TG meetings, presume that is when the 2 mins are put on ie as they leave the pits? 

Riders also start in a straight line in Poland, rather than "at all angles" as often happens over here..

Maybe that also helps with less first bend incidents which we seem to get more of over here too, as riders clash..

On the subject of first bend tangles, I seem to recall back in the seventies that there was a simple marker post on the centre green about 20m from the start line. (They had it at Leicester so I assume it was at all tracks). The idea/rule was that riders were not supposed to move out of their theoretical starting lane before that marker point. I'm not sure how well it was implemented (referee's discretion I suppose), but I do not recall anywhere near as many re-starts from first bend incidents. Also, the red light went on for a race to be stopped, the race never re-started without someone being excluded. Are my recollections correct?

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

That is noticeable in Poland the Start Marshal straightens up the bikes which should be the case here.Tv meetings it is noticeable that the rider in 4 is usually pointing inward by a fair amount to head for the 1st bend.

10 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

On the subject of first bend tangles, I seem to recall back in the seventies that there was a simple marker post on the centre green about 20m from the start line. (They had it at Leicester so I assume it was at all tracks). The idea/rule was that riders were not supposed to move out of their theoretical starting lane before that marker point. I'm not sure how well it was implemented (referee's discretion I suppose), but I do not recall anywhere near as many re-starts from first bend incidents. Also, the red light went on for a race to be stopped, the race never re-started without someone being excluded. Are my recollections correct?

I was under the impression that the 30yd marker was for riders couldn’t be assisted after the marker at the start of a race.( could be wrong though).

• Like 2

Just now, Fromafar said:

I was under the impression that the 30yd marker was for riders couldn’t be assisted after the marker at the start of a race.( could be wrong though).

You could be right too :t:

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

No I remember you couldn't deviate from your gate position until after 20 yard marker.

25 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

You might be interested to know that the marker post from Blackbird Road is in my garage. It's a white disc with a red centre. It's alongside one of the lamp shades that came from the track lights. I scrounged them off the demolition firm when the were tearing the stadium down. At one stage there was talk of a speedway museum in the plans for the new track at Beaumont Leys but that, along with other things in the original plans, never came to fruition. So they remain in my garage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1