British Speedway Forum
eide67

Edinburgh v Scunthorpe Championship 26/5/23

Don't think Edinburgh can use missing riders as much of an excuse. Worrall scored 13, which is on par with Pickering (actually outscores Josh's early season Armadale form) while r/r for Paco scored 6+1.

Obviously they were weakened without Cook & his replacement only scoring 4 points. But that alone shouldn't mean an 18 point home defeat. Kye & Lasse seemed to score ok, so it's really the reserve berth where Monarchs failed the most. Mountain you can understand scoring like he did, but Ablitt having the beating of Edinburgh's reserves is a worry.

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, spt82 said:

While Bickley has been poor, baring a few meetings where he looked to have improved a little, he's on a 2 point something average so you can't really expect that much, Hook however for me has been dire this season particularly at Armadale, just seems to have gone backwards this season, and that's riding at what should be the slighty easier number 7 position!

The big question however is who the hell is out there that could come in and make any difference?

Apart from a few matches I thought Hook was doing much better this season. That being said often his 6 point scores were from beating the opposition's 2.00 number 7 & not much else (still an improvement on last year). But against a stronger number 7, has it shown part of his increased scores are due to his riding position & not so much his improvement?

Don’t think we’ll see the same 7 come 2 weeks time. I’d like to see 2 changes made and get lasse in at reserve before the averages change.

7 hours ago, spt82 said:

While Bickley has been poor, baring a few meetings where he looked to have improved a little, he's on a 2 point something average so you can't really expect that much, Hook however for me has been dire this season particularly at Armadale, just seems to have gone backwards this season, and that's riding at what should be the slighty easier number 7 position!

The big question however is who the hell is out there that could come in and make any difference?

Disagree about Hook. He’s looked much better this season until last night. Him and Lasse both making good progress. 

4 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Disagree about Hook. He’s looked much better this season until last night. Him and Lasse both making good progress. 

Scores of 2 and 3 in the last two meetings at Armadale beating only Mulford and Clegg from the opposition doesn't point to good progress for me, at least last season when he was behind he was always well on the pace nipping away at the rider in front, this year when he's not made the gate, which is more often than not, he's getting well tailed off. If changes do happen I think he will be one of the riders making way.

I agree that Lasse is progressing nicely this year, I thought Hook would've been capable of at least matching him.

11 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Don't think Edinburgh can use missing riders as much of an excuse. Worrall scored 13, which is on par with Pickering (actually outscores Josh's early season Armadale form) while r/r for Paco scored 6+1.

Obviously they were weakened without Cook & his replacement only scoring 4 points. But that alone shouldn't mean an 18 point home defeat. Kye & Lasse seemed to score ok, so it's really the reserve berth where Monarchs failed the most. Mountain you can understand scoring like he did, but Ablitt having the beating of Edinburgh's reserves is a worry.

Not really. He is good at Edinburgh. 

11 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Don’t think we’ll see the same 7 come 2 weeks time. I’d like to see 2 changes made and get lasse in at reserve before the averages change.

Could be wrong but am not convinced that with the points options we are likely to have, 2 changes are unlikely to make a difference going forward.  Unless the injuries to Josh & Craig are long term ones am assuming you may be thinking of a permutation of any 2 from positions #4, #6 & #7, the latter two being our most fragile as with last year.   Question is could 7.28 points be better spent on two NDL ? replacements before 1st June or 3.28 points on one ?   The management has always encouraged supporters to have high expectations of the sides they assemble and rightly so.  However, starting with Josh's unfortunate injury and its unsettling effect on the team, we appear to have run into a perfect storm of a further injury to Craig, Paco's absence and off form reserves, while meeting an excellent Scorpions side at full strength rightly taking advantage of the situation as we would have done ourselves.    Judging by the comments on Facebook the supporters understandable frustrations are there for all to see and as a clearly in pain Kye Thomson commented ( injured hand ) that sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and move on.  However, as we are often reminded these days, Speedway is a business as well as a sport and that has to taken into account when moving on.

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I'd go the other way unfortuantely, there is an air of finality about it all. Hopefully I'm wrong and a couple of changes would be great to freshen up and give us a kick-start.

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Not really. He is good at Edinburgh. 

I'd counter that with Edinburgh's reserves should be strong at Edinburgh lol!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, spt82 said:

Based on experience Bickley should be one of the best 2 point riders in the league.They never signed him not too score points at home.He is having another poor season.IMO

• Like 2

Edinburgh 6 & 7 = 2 points

Scunthorpe 6 & 7 = 15 + 5

Says it all really

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spt82 said:

Scores of 2 and 3 in the last two meetings at Armadale beating only Mulford and Clegg from the opposition doesn't point to good progress for me, at least last season when he was behind he was always well on the pace nipping away at the rider in front, this year when he's not made the gate, which is more often than not, he's getting well tailed off. If changes do happen I think he will be one of the riders making way.

I agree that Lasse is progressing nicely this year, I thought Hook would've been capable of at least matching him.

That’s an Armadale problem as much as anything else. Did you miss his performance earlier in the week at Birmingham?! He’s easily hitting his average just now. 

3 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

That’s an Armadale problem as much as anything else. Did you miss his performance earlier in the week at Birmingham?! He’s easily hitting his average just now. 

I think Birmingham made us look better than we were/are, well if he only hits his average that's why we'll struggle, pretty sure he was signed on the hope he would significantly improve on a 4 point average this year in what should be a weaker league. 

BTW I'm not against Jacob at all I've just found his form disappointing this year, was expecting consistent scores around 7-9 this year.

Expecting him to be a heat leader then!

28 minutes ago, spt82 said:

I think Birmingham made us look better than we were/are, well if he only hits his average that's why we'll struggle, pretty sure he was signed on the hope he would significantly improve on a 4 point average this year in what should be a weaker league. 

BTW I'm not against Jacob at all I've just found his form disappointing this year, was expecting consistent scores around 7-9 this year.

7-9?? So in line with Craig Cook and Josh Pickering? That feels more than a little unrealistic. Expect that from Kye fair enough.