British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

30.06.2023 - League - Scunny v Oxford

3 minutes ago, MartinBSN said:

Gilkes flew out to Poland early Friday morning

Could/would he have flown out late Friday/early Saturday if he had an opportunity to guest?

Similar to Douglas & Kemp as they ride for same team(if Kemp was fit enough).

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I didn't say Lambert shouldn't have been in heat 16, just offering a reason why he wasn't picked

“We knew the scoring was 4-3-2-0 in the Superheat and what we needed to do. Dougy was just Dougy and brilliant again tonight, but we knew we needed a rider who could score alongside him. I felt Jake may haven’t scored as many points as Simon in the meeting, but he was riding just as well. Simon took Heat 15 and then we gave Jake a go in the Superheat – we tried every avenue.”

He must of watched a different meeting

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

“We knew the scoring was 4-3-2-0 in the Superheat and what we needed to do. Dougy was just Dougy and brilliant again tonight, but we knew we needed a rider who could score alongside him. I felt Jake may haven’t scored as many points as Simon in the meeting, but he was riding just as well. Simon took Heat 15 and then we gave Jake a go in the Superheat – we tried every avenue.”

He must of watched a different meeting

I agree, really poor decision by Peet. Lambet had way more speed than Jake, look at heat 9. Lambet was a bit unlucky not to score more points last night, I can't really say the same about Allen he just lacks some speed in his bike.

Would Gilkes have scored anymore then the R/R rides? he scored 6+1 from 5 rides the other week at Scunthorpe he had 1 decent ride where he beat Lambert and 1 where he beat Kemp other then that the only Scunthorpe rider he beat was Nathan Ablitt, Not sure he'd have got anywhere near Masters, Kerr, Nicholls etc.

Now the Averages have changed next week Scunthorpe's options do get a bit wider with Thomas Jorgensen and Leon Flint now able to ride at the home circuit for the Scorpions other then that there is only really Ben Cook that i would consider before using R/R. As everyone knows i'm not Godfrey's biggest fan never have been never will be but on this occasion (apart from not naming a Number 8) he is doing the right thing (bad luck aside) in my opinion.

3 hours ago, eric i said:

I agree, really poor decision by Peet. Lambet had way more speed than Jake, look at heat 9. Lambet was a bit unlucky not to score more points last night, I can't really say the same about Allen he just lacks some speed in his bike.

Good stuff and to think we are about to be subjected to two weeks of wall to wall tennis on BBC TV!

Edited by steve roberts

The most obvious guest had to be Ben Cook imo, he would have been preparing to race at Glasgow so wouldn't have had any other plans, as soon as that match was off, Scunny could have been on the phone to him sharpish.

Pre-match I thought r/r was a decent option, especially at home - I know people say "but what of another rider gets injured" so I guess do you plan for the good or the bad?

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The most obvious guest had to be Ben Cook imo, he would have been preparing to race at Glasgow so wouldn't have had any other plans, as soon as that match was off, Scunny could have been on the phone to him sharpish.

Pre-match I thought r/r was a decent option, especially at home - I know people say "but what of another rider gets injured" so I guess do you plan for the good or the bad?

If you are using r/r then a no8 should be there. In 2021 Poole had r/r for Basso at 2 (prob riding in Denmark, as it was at Brum) and Stefan Nielsen got injured in H2. I think we had to do a couple of races with just one rider. 

So I will always think a no8 should be there! 

48 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

If you are using r/r then a no8 should be there. In 2021 Poole had r/r for Basso at 2 (prob riding in Denmark, as it was at Brum) and Stefan Nielsen got injured in H2. I think we had to do a couple of races with just one rider. 

So I will always think a no8 should be there! 

It was actually heat 1 he got injured in taking the R/R ride for Basso meaning Poole had to go with 1 rider in the reserve heat

Just now, Fozzie4388 said:

It was actually heat 1 he got injured in taking the R/R ride for Basso meaning Poole had to go with 1 rider in the reserve heat

Having a No 8 wouldn’t have changed that situation (unless he’d taken the RR in Heat 1 of course).

8 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

A couple of Poole riders could have had the opportunity to ride at Glasgow last Friday to test set ups & racing lines especially as they were due there yesterday, even though it was called off. They could, also, have guested last night. Gilkes was another name that I heard mentioned in the crowd although he is riding in Poland today(so is Douglas). 

Could they, were they asked?

7 hours ago, eric i said:

I would pick Allen over Lambert any day or year,every race is different ,he would of been chasing set up and was not far off it, not the end of the world,get behind your riders or throw a helmet on and try,no one goes into a race to come second at this level,class rider

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Having a No 8 wouldn’t have changed that situation (unless he’d taken the RR in Heat 1 of course).

Never said it would did I? B)

9 hours ago, eric i said:

Ht 9 Allen beat lambert ,cannot see problem,Allen had speed ,maybe could of  tried another line,averages are thier for a reason,lamberts having a good season and so are the others,get behind the lads instead of bagging them, every meeting is different and no doubt Oxford will be back,then I have no doubt scorpions ALL will get revenge

1 hour ago, Spiderman1 said:

Ht 9 Allen beat lambert ,cannot see problem,Allen had speed ,maybe could of  tried another line,averages are thier for a reason,lamberts having a good season and so are the others,get behind the lads instead of bagging them, every meeting is different and no doubt Oxford will be back,then I have no doubt scorpions ALL will get revenge

I wasn't knocking Allen but the managers selection in the super heat.

11 hours ago, eric i said:

I wasn't knocking Allen but the managers selection in the super heat.

Lambert won heat 14 but came last in 15. Maybe he, or his bike, did not want 3 on the trot.