British Speedway Forum
bloom89

Steve Boxall

In this weeks speedway star Steve Boxall is on the comeback trail, wonder where he will end up?

Didn’t he stop riding due to failing a drugs test? 

I personally used to like him and thought he was very talented but pretty much in the same boat as Lewis Bridger just wasted the talent they had.

Wasted talent. Remember when he signed for Rye on his 15th or 16th birthday. Could tell he was going to be good early on. Certainly a lot more talented than someone like Danny King who was on the same side.

Professionalism was always an issue with him as his bikes were an issue, his weight seemed to go up and down and don't think he had any idea mechanically. He certainly didn't get the backing the likes of Kennett, Bridger and King received.

A shoulder injury in 08 just as he was scoring big points in the EL killed his career really. I think I read on here that he tried to put it back in place in the pits by running into a wall and messed it up even more??

I believe he was stabbed at a Rye P&P day as well by Tyson Nelson if I remember correctly.

Saw a video of him riding for Rye at the IOW last week and still looks good

I think it said in the SS his drugs ban has finished.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Wasted talent. Remember when he signed for Rye on his 15th or 16th birthday. Could tell he was going to be good early on. Certainly a lot more talented than someone like Danny King who was on the same side.

Professionalism was always an issue with him as his bikes were an issue, his weight seemed to go up and down and don't think he had any idea mechanically. He certainly didn't get the backing the likes of Kennett, Bridger and King received.

A shoulder injury in 08 just as he was scoring big points in the EL killed his career really. I think I read on here that he tried to put it back in place in the pits by running into a wall and messed it up even more??

I believe he was stabbed at a Rye P&P day as well by Tyson Nelson if I remember correctly.

Saw a video of him riding for Rye at the IOW last week and still looks good

I think it said in the SS his drugs ban has finished.

What was the deal with him and Tyson Nelson? I didn’t know about this.

Agree about when he injured his shoulder definitely hindered him a huge amount. 

I remember when Newcastle signed him as our number 1 pretty sure he broke his hand on a pre season get together. Always seems to bring a lot of baggage with him mind.

Also judging by the pictures in the speedway star he looks like he’s been to the lee complin school of weight training.

Edited by bloom89

Think he drove off at  a Kent fixture when told on arrival he'd been chosen for a drugs test. As a result banned for 2 years. 

Got a recollection he'd caused a massive Pits bust up a few weeks before when trying to assault a then 15 year old Jason Edwards who had just beaten him. 

3 hours ago, bloom89 said:

What was the deal with him and Tyson Nelson? I didn’t know about this.

Agree about when he injured his shoulder definitely hindered him a huge amount. 

I remember when Newcastle signed him as our number 1 pretty sure he broke his hand on a pre season get together. Always seems to bring a lot of baggage with him mind.

Also judging by the pictures in the speedway star he looks like he’s been to the lee complin school of weight training.

It was after the Diamonds riders and management (and guests) were at a meal in Jesmond given by the Lord Mayor in May of 2009. He never rode for us again (he rode in 10 matches for us). He was replaced by Rene Bach eventually.  

During P&P he asked me what the Track Record was.  I told him and his answer was "well, that won't last long."

• Haha 2

I believe he still holds the track record at Mildenhall.

He scored 17 points from 6 rides last week at IOW. The opposition included Morley, Trigger, Kingston, Congrieve, Butcher etc none of them slouches, he also got the Fastest time of the night. Not bad for someone who hasn't been on a bike for years.

There is no doubt he has huge natural talent but will anyone take a chance on him!

Would he be able to ride in meetings under SCB regulations having been banned for refusing to take a drugs test.

His ban may have expired but maybe the authorities would expect him to jump through a few hoops.

TBH with his natural ability and some decent equipment I could see him easily being a top second string/third heat leader at CL level.

Edited by Triple.H.

3 hours ago, flipper11 said:

He scored 17 points from 6 rides last week at IOW. The opposition included Morley, Trigger, Kingston, Congrieve, Butcher etc none of them slouches, he also got the Fastest time of the night. Not bad for someone who hasn't been on a bike for years.

There is no doubt he has huge natural talent but will anyone take a chance on him!

To be fair he has been out practicing and was on the IOW the week before but i get what you mean definitely fast for no actual recent racing. 

As ever the talent will always remain but how long will the focus and dedication.  A 35 year old in need to two decent bikes (and other kit) with a history of poor machinery maintenance and temprement. 

Its always a pleasure to watch Steve but would anyone want to rely on him every week? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

As ever the talent will always remain but how long will the focus and dedication.  A 35 year old in need to two decent bikes (and other kit) with a history of poor machinery maintenance and temprement. 

The Story Of Steve Boxall’s career I’m afraid. To be fair injuries at the wrong time haven’t helped on the financial side, but he is/was quite a talent. Like others I would love to see him do well but he is running out of years now. I dont begrudge him whatever success he may achieve in the lower league but I think too late now to really cut the mustard in a big way.,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HGould said:

Think he drove off at  a Kent fixture when told on arrival he'd been chosen for a drugs test. As a result banned for 2 years. 

Got a recollection he'd caused a massive Pits bust up a few weeks before when trying to assault a then 15 year old Jason Edwards who had just beaten him. 

4 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Would he be able to ride in meetings under SCB regulations having been banned for refusing to take a drugs test.

His ban may have expired but maybe the authorities would expect him to jump through a few hoops.

TBH with his natural ability and some decent equipment I could see him easily being a top second string/third heat leader at CL level.

It's always possible he'd have to pass a drugs test before being given an SCB racing licence, which I think would be fair!

I know he failed to take a drug test & was banned for 2 years by the SCB.

That time has now been served, I would say that the SCB have been satisfied.

He may have done well on the Island & there is no doubt he raced with some good NDL stars. But that is for fun, How long would he remain at a club given his record of injuries & mechanical knowledge. At NDL he would still hold a huge average & I don't see a reason for any reduction as he is coming back from suspension. To race at CL will require him to be fully committed & I feel he needs to prove that before any club take a dip in that pool

4 hours ago, Technik said:

I know he failed to take a drug test & was banned for 2 years by the SCB.

That time has now been served, I would say that the SCB have been satisfied.

He may have done well on the Island & there is no doubt he raced with some good NDL stars. But that is for fun, How long would he remain at a club given his record of injuries & mechanical knowledge. At NDL he would still hold a huge average & I don't see a reason for any reduction as he is coming back from suspension. To race at CL will require him to be fully committed & I feel he needs to prove that before any club take a dip in that pool

Technicality I know but didn't he refuse to take a drug test rather than fail one. Result is the same and leads to a ban.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, flipper11 said:

If people take chances on a certain rider who’s at hmp then they will definitely take a chance on Boxall, no idea what his average would be for ndl but I could 100% see him being one of the top boys in that league providing he had decent equipment.

7 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Technicality I know but didn't he refuse to take a drug test rather than fail one. Result is the same and leads to a ban.

That's what I said "He failed to TAKE a drug test" not that he had failed a drug test

10 hours ago, bloom89 said:

If people take chances on a certain rider who’s at hmp then they will definitely take a chance on Boxall, no idea what his average would be for ndl but I could 100% see him being one of the top boys in that league providing he had decent equipment.

Who's in prison who's getting a chance?