British Speedway Forum
4BM

Sheffield v Peterborough Monday 3rd July

25 minutes ago, Pitch said:

You have to feel for the Sheffield fans, their promotion always seem to end a meeting after 10 heats whenever they get chance.

Picko came on the mic and confirmed it was the decision of the 14 riders not to continue. Don’t think the promoters have the power to call a meeting once it has started have they?

The right result for the Tigers tonight with the win and points in the bag. 

BUT

I couldn't make it tonight and with the match only lasting 10 heats I'm glad I couldn't now because if I had been there I would have felt pi$$ed of and ripped off as well. Sounds like there are a few unhappy fans there tonight after the announcement. The size of the crowd will be interesting next week especially as the match is live on tv.

39 minutes ago, RideHard said:

What an absolute joke! Rushed through 2 races in rain to get 10 heats in. 
blue sky’s 15 min later… most of riders looked confused that they’d called it off… want my money back 

Typical speedway fan who has no thoughts for anyone but themselves!

Speedway bikes these days have to be raced flat-out.  

The sun was out on bend 2 and the back straight, we could obviously see these parts of the track were drying quickly.  The problem came from the 3rd/4th bends and home straight which had no sun on it.

Therefore the track will have been massively inconsistent,  not to mention the glare from the sun going down the back straight.

I agree with the decision to call it off.

• Like 1

Yes,and what I don't understand is if it was called off on safety grounds then why did the riders continue to ride in the wet,only to call it off when the rain had stopped and the sun was out...sorry but it was all about getting it to heat ten because the result stands.....hmmmmm now let me see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PistonBrokeAgain said:

Typical speedway fan who has no thoughts for anyone but themselves!

Speedway bikes these days have to be raced flat-out.  

The sun was out on bend 2 and the back straight, we could obviously see these parts of the track were drying quickly.  The problem came from the 3rd/4th bends and home straight which had no sun on it.

Therefore the track will have been massively inconsistent,  not to mention the glare from the sun going down the back straight.

I agree with the decision to call it off.

I admit i wasn't there,  But How hot is the sun at 9pm to dry part of the track out in 15 mins?

37 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Picko came on the mic and confirmed it was the decision of the 14 riders not to continue. Don’t think the promoters have the power to call a meeting once it has started have they?

It’s the referees who have the final say, generally in consultation with the team captains

• Like 1

So didn't the bikes have to be raced flat out before heat 10,,,it is strange they nearly always make it heat 10,,,but then suddenly can't get any further 

• Like 8

I have no problem with the riders saying that the track was bad, You only have to look at the race times. My compaint is that there was an hour and a half to curfue. What was wrong with the ref saying "OK I take your point but we will wait an hour to see if the track improves".  There was no rain on the radar heading our way. Add to that Graham the track man would have had time to do a bit of his magic. I don't want to see riders hurt, but in this case I don't think that every effort was made to get the meeting to a finish.

Edited by Wollyhat
spelling mistake

Disappointed we didn’t get 15 heats but that’s speedway currently. Can’t always beat the weather. Track staff said bends 1 and 2 were like ice after the downpour. Pickering said track was rideable not raceable so you have to go on their opinion. I think the promotion have got to think seriously about next Mondays meeting. Televised and fans short changed tonight. So some sort of offer maybe on the entrance fee or loads could be voting with their feet. 

16 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I admit i wasn't there,  But How hot is the sun at 9pm to dry part of the track out in 15 mins?

The sun combined with the breeze was drying those parts of the track

7 minutes ago, PistonBrokeAgain said:

The sun combined with the breeze was drying those parts of the track

Was the breeze only on bend 2 and the back straight as well as the sun :)

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Was the breeze only on bend 2 and the back straight as well as the sun :)

I think most of the breeze was blowing up Damien's arz

Just now, Byker Biker said:

I think most of the breeze was blowing up Damien's arz

:rofl: . I know matey. I was just stringing him along to see how far he went;)

Just a thought, but if the promoter only has to pay the riders start and points money for ten races then they must be laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Like 1