British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Peterborough 06/07/23 PREMIERSHIP R2

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

They need to get that red, blue, white and yellow strip for the bikes to leave from together at every meeting...

Then they would all know they have two mins from then...

A huge step forward for the sport in this country that strip thing...

Nailing the priority issues....:D

Leicester already use something similar.

Bring back Frank Ebdon ..... remember Frank excluding all 4 riders at Hackney in Heat One for delaying the start and ignoring his 2 min warning.

IIRC he rescinded this decision  but boy oh boy the riders were up at tapes promptly for the rest of the meeting  :-) :-)

Far too much farting around by the prima donna riders ... and even more annoying is that some supporters condone the riders tardy behaviour ..... UK the "land of do as you please"

All the delaying tactics  finished me off from ever again going to a speedway meeting some years ago.  I just didn't have the patience for all their antics. 

11 hours ago, Gambo said:

The overall consensus of opinion seems to differ from yours. Iversen only just beat the two minutes exclusion, and then proceeded to ignore the Referee and Start Marshall prompts to be ready to race.

How long should he have been given? Another minute..two minutes...?

As explained earlier David, Niels could have been given a few seconds more, he had just done heats 12 & 13 so I dare say he needed some maintenance and possibly a tyre edge change., which was why he was late going to the gate.

It sounds reasonable to me.

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

As explained earlier David, Niels could have been given a few seconds more, he had just done heats 12 & 13 so I dare say he needed some maintenance and possibly a tyre edge change., which was why he was late going to the gate.

Max Fricke had also done Heat 13.... He didn't need extra time.

just have a clock on the centre that everybody can see, problem solved

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

He had plenty of time as the track was graded before ht 15.

16 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Bring back Frank Ebdon ..... remember Frank excluding all 4 riders at Hackney in Heat One for delaying the start and ignoring his 2 min warning.

IIRC he rescinded this decision  but boy oh boy the riders were up at tapes promptly for the rest of the meeting  :-) :-)

Far too much farting around by the prima donna riders ... and even more annoying is that some supporters condone the riders tardy behaviour ..... UK the "land of do as you please"

All the delaying tactics  finished me off from ever again going to a speedway meeting some years ago.  I just didn't have the patience for all their antics.

Have a "rest line" 5 meters from the start, then call the riders forward & green light goes on 30 seconds later, no time for "gardening" it's the same for all riders, so no need for them to complain (though they would).

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

The addition of a clock has been mentioned several times.

With respect, can I ask what it would mean when the clock reaches zero?
Does that indicate that riders have to be on track heading for the start.
Or does it mean that riders have to be at the gate but still gardening?
Or does it mean that riders have to be at the tapes ready to go?

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

The addition of a clock has been mentioned several times.

With respect, can I ask what it would mean when the clock reaches zero?
Does that indicate that riders have to be on track heading for the start.
Or does it mean that riders have to be at the gate but still gardening?
Or does it mean that riders have to be at the tapes ready to go?

that riders have to be at the tapes ready to go

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

So if you know you have less than a minute (actually less than 30 seconds) on the 2 minute warning left as you leave the pits, is it reasonably to take significant time gardening, ignore the starting marshal's instructions and to ignore the flashing of the green light by the referee?

3 minutes ago, False dawn said:

So if you know you have less than a minute (actually less than 30 seconds) on the 2 minute warning left as you leave the pits, is it reasonably to take significant time gardening, ignore the starting marshal's instructions and to ignore the flashing of the green light by the referee?

It does not matter one bit if there is a clock on the centre that all can see... I really can't see what the debate is about

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that typically. 

A rider could be enter the track with a second to spare as long as he is proceeding to the starting gate, under power, and without delay - but then he mustn't garden. However,  the 2 minutes could have long gone.

However,  a rider who is at the gate can garden if any time of the 2 minutes is left.  

Do the refs enforce either? No 

011.1.3 2 Minute Allowance

The Referee must indicate the start of a 2 minute allowance by means of a

warning horn or bell audible in the pit area together with the flashing amber

lights if all of the riders are not in the starting area at the same time this

warning shall apply to all riders and can be given only once.

Except when the Referee considers that there are valid reasons for delaying

the start of an ensuing heat, the interval between the finish of one heat and

the start of the next shall not exceed 4 minutes including the 2 minute

allowance.

If a track has a countdown clock, that can be operated solely by the Referee,

then it is compulsory for the clock to be used.

Riders must, at the expiry of this time allowance, be on track, under power,

proceeding without stopping towards the starting gate.

If a rider is at the starting gate with sufficient time remaining of the 1 or 2

minute allowance they are permitted to prepare their starting gate area.

They must remain in full, personal control of their motorcycle, have the cut

out lanyard attached and with their motorcycle facing the direction of racing.

I don't know if you guys are deliberately trying to wind me up... this is perfectly simple. Scrap the rules as they are and implement a new rule to make it mandatory for a clock to be on the centre that we can all see and if a rider is not at the tapes and ready to start when the clock counts down to zero they are disqualified.

It doesn't matter if the rider is off his bike break dancing while the 2 minutes are counting down, he can do whatever the hell he wants, but if he's not at the tapes ready to start when the clock hits zero... he's gone

And it doesn't matter who physically starts the clock, the ref, the start marshal or even the bloody club mascot as long as it's the under direction of the ref

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I don't know if you guys are deliberately trying to wind me up... this is perfectly simple. Scrap the rules as they are and implement a new rule to make it mandatory for a clock to be on the centre that we can all see and if a rider is not at the tapes and ready to start when the clock counts down to zero they are disqualified.

It doesn't matter if the rider is off his bike break dancing while the 2 minutes are counting down, he can do whatever the hell he wants, but if he's not at the tapes ready to start when the clock hits zero... he's gone

And it doesn't matter who physically starts the clock, the ref, the start marshal or even the bloody club mascot as long as it's the under direction of the ref

No wind up intended, honest. Your suggestion is eminently sensible. The point in question is the exclusion of NKI under the existing rules. Some seem to suggest that the referee was job's worth or that it didn't matter that a rider could continue gardening in direct contradiction to the instructions of the starting marshal and the referee. Or better still, the rules shouldn't be applied because the race had no meaning or the exclusion caused further delay. If the race had no meaning why did NKI spend so much time preparing for it or take part in it all for that matter?

4 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

....If a rider is at the starting gate with sufficient time remaining of the 1 or 2

minute allowance they are permitted to prepare their starting gate area.....

• Like 1