British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

I’m only going as it’s my lads first season watching speedway. I wanted to give him that big event experience. He’s dragging along a school mate, hopefully two new recruits for life.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Vatcher who has no one can confirm has ever been a rider and as a consequence has no track experience is gifted the opportunity to take charge of riders and makes decisions based on nothing other than your face fits or not and nothing to do with rider skills. It says it all about what is wrong with the sport in this country. If no one else with some relevant experience wants to take on the mantle, then desist from competing as your credibility goes out the window. You cannot have someone like Vatcher taking charge, on the basis of the excuses given for his involvement. I would suggest that you have so many on this forum who could do a better job. It is hard to decipher what Vatcher brings to the party and one or two contributors on here could make a better success of the role.  Vatcher is a lost cause and should disappear from the speedway scene notwithstanding those who believe that he is doing the sport a favour.

Unfortunately the sport is littered with people like Vatcher. They continue to prove that they're  totally unfit for purpose yet somehow survive in this sport.n the "real world" they would be removed from their position for being incompetent.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Unfortunately the sport is littered with people like Vatcher. They continue to prove that they're  totally unfit for purpose yet somehow survive in this sport.n the "real world" they would be removed from their position for being incompetent.

its not just sport, politicians, police, tv media, education system, councils i could go on and on. 

• Like 3

I've met a few people like this in my life and I've often wondered how they get to where they are sometimes. In my experience, they constantly try to protect their position wrongly using a blame game on others inability to do stuff. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Deano said:

I've met a few people like this in my life and I've often wondered how they get to where they are sometimes. In my experience, they constantly try to protect their position wrongly using a blame game on others inability to do stuff. 

then get promoted for it.:t:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

I would suggest that you have so many on this forum who could do a better job. It is hard to decipher what Vatcher brings to the party and one or two contributors on here could make a better success of the role.  

He was appointed from a five person shortlist following interviews. At least one of whom is a member of this forum.

News today of rail disruption on 2nd September

1 minute ago, NeilWatson said:

News today of rail disruption on 2nd September

was announced last week

Organisers need to be very careful here, give away too many free tickets and/or complimentary upgrades from lower priced categories and they may end up putting some people off of renewing (certainly at the higher price points) for the GP in 2024.

• Like 2

Just installed the app after reading this thread and although I have only bought the single ticket, it's showing 2, top tier, the one I bought and also a middle tier ticket, looks like we're all going to be packed into the middle tier like last years SGP2.

Looks like this is going to be the last Cardiff... a wet weekend in Manchester next year :D

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Ace no.5 said:

Statement from Connor Bailey in response to Vatcher. I feel he's been really hard done to here...! A very mature and classy statement. Shouldn't be treating our young future stars like this.

Having recently become U21 British Champion and riding as well as I ever have, it’s very disappointing that I haven’t been offered a reserve spot at the upcoming Cardiff SGP. 

Furthermore, I feel I need to directly address the statement made by British Youth boss Neil Vatcher on the official British Speedway website earlier today, where it quoted Mr Vatcher as saying the following:

“British Under-21 Champion Connor Bailey was also amongst the riders considered; however, after he turned down opportunities to represent Great Britain in the recent FIM Speedway of Nations 2, and to ride in the British Final, the decision was taken to select Anders and Jason.

For clarity, I was asked to be the reserve at SoN 2 behind Dan Gilkes and Anders Rowe, both of whom I had beaten to the U21 title a couple of weeks earlier. Aside from the logistical and commercial challenges of getting to Latvia, riding at reserve would not have guaranteed that I saw much action. 

Regarding my invite to participate in the British Final, this invite was received at 9PM the night before the event, when I was away celebrating my 21st Birthday. Up until this point no one had mentioned to me that I might be considered for a spot in main lineup of the final. Had I had more notice of this, I would have jumped at the chance!

It saddens me greatly that these two instances appear to have brought into question my commitment to speedway and have impacted my chances of taking one of the reserve spots at the Cardiff SGP in what would have been an incredible experience. 

Meanwhile, I would like to wish Anders and Jason the best of luck at the event.

I'm no particular fan of Neil Vatcher, couldn't really give a toss either way tbh. As far as I can tell his qualifications are that he's a Poole fan, used to mechanic for Boycey and seems to be really enthusiastic.

But you have to wonder about Connor Bailey, now he seems a nice lad is having an excellent season and showing some real progress, but... he's let the GB Speedway team down by refusing to take the SoN2 booking, Rowe, Kemp & Gilkes took the booking, probably at a financial loss. When there are no qualification routes for GP reserve spots and it's a matter of selection you shouldn't really be too disappointed knowing that you've refused to ride for your country a few weeks earlier!

This "British" Under 21 Champion obviously doesn't regard riding for "your country" as an honour like many others do

Edited by iainb

On 8/18/2023 at 12:38 AM, flagrag said:

So I understand a number of fans are having their tickets changed for Cardiff as sections of the stadium are to be closed off and that WBD are changing some of the their camera positions so to show the more populated areas.

I can only assume ticket sales are very poor i wonder how many of the Blue light seats will be used I think it will depend on the weather if it’s a nice day people will go if not will simply not bother as not losing any money well £2.50 . I have spoken to a cameraman doing the event and has been told he can have free tickets for his wife and kids if he wants.

Even hotel prices have started to drop again as hotels getting worried that they may have empty rooms, Holiday Inn by stadium is normally full months in advance but they have rooms now . My estimate is that they have only sold around 7,500 seats will be interesting to see the final crowd with Blue Light freebies and riders/sponsors/broadcasters getting unlimited tickets now 

It’s no great surprise is it, Cardiff fans have been totally ripped off by ticket and hotel prices for years now and after last years rubbish show it appears many have called time on the event, for the first time in a long time I don’t know anyone amongst my circle of friends who is actually going this year.

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s no great surprise is it, Cardiff fans have been totally ripped off by ticket and hotel prices for years now and after last years rubbish show it appears many have called time on the event, for the first time in a long time I don’t know anyone amongst my circle of friends who is actually going this year.

I've never paid more than £25 for a ticket... great value!

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've never paid more than £25 for a ticket... great value!

If i had paid £25 for a ticket to watch last seasons debacle I would have been looking to get a £ 24.50 refund.:D:D

• Haha 1