British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole Championship. 19/7/23

45 minutes ago, Deano said:

He just likes to stick the knife in.

Don’t be ridiculous. I wish Birmingham to be successful and prosperous going forward. Thought the crowd last night was poor so if that was a good crowd would shudder to the what crowds have been like. 

The presentation was great, the track was ok if very slick. The racing was not great as it was difficult to pass but not too dusty until the very end. Very frustrating to not get decent amount of customers through the door with so many people living in the area.

56 minutes ago, Deano said:

He just likes to stick the knife in.

The Poole fans measure all the other clubs crowds against their 5,000 they get each week....:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t be ridiculous. I wish Birmingham to be successful and prosperous going forward. Thought the crowd last night was poor so if that was a good crowd would shudder to the what crowds have been like. 

The presentation was great, the track was ok if very slick. The racing was not great as it was difficult to pass but not too dusty until the very end. Very frustrating to not get decent amount of customers through the door with so many people living in the area.

We've gone over this many times and we came to the conclusion that the local community are predominently Asian and are not interested in speedway and as for the rest of the not so local community, they prefer football/cricket ! (Aston Villa/B'ham City/WBA/WCC)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It’s been well documented on here we get low hundreds each week. Last night was actually one of the better crowds this season. 

My lad and his mates went and stood with the Poole fans for a short time on bend one. They said it was a wild atmosphere. What other sport could you do that!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The Poole fans measure all the other clubs crowds against their 5,000 they get each week....:D

You joke but we did used to get that in the early 2000s! I remember Poole and Oxford were fighting it out to be league champions in 2001 (in those days you had to finish top for that!) and I had to get out of work before my normal 5pm finish, otherwise by the time I get there I wouldn't be able to see anything.

In those days fans as started queuing at 3pm! I miss that! 

When Mark Loram was world champion and first home meeting back the crowd was 7000! 

• Like 2

Probably best crowd I've seen there this season but take away a fair but by no means large Poole contingent and the core Brummie support remains frighteningly low around 400 mark. 

On the track frankly outclassed. No lack of effort in the main but disappointing effort from heat leaders and Alfie possibly tried too hard. 

Dicko saying he's getting 7 rides and expecting big points can put unnecessary pressure on

Sadly the let's make the most of it as it's not going to be long now before the inevitable vibe seems ingrained. 

I can't see any impact from incredible amount of money Nigel has blown or any reason for him to waste any more. 

Thats a sad but pragmatic view. 

I doubt Ian Thomas and John Berry at their best could make much difference Promoting wise. 

32 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You joke but we did used to get that in the early 2000s! I remember Poole and Oxford were fighting it out to be league champions in 2001 (in those days you had to finish top for that!) and I had to get out of work before my normal 5pm finish, otherwise by the time I get there I wouldn't be able to see anything.

When Mark Loram was world champion and first home meeting back the crowd was 7000! 

I've followed the sport for 60 years sad to see the poor crowds now. The racing hasn't got worse. At the Abbey in the 70s 3000 was a low crowd, regularly 5 figure crowds, and 17000 at one meeting in 1979, they had to lock the gates. 37 meetings there that year when nearly everyone could afford to attend every week. A quid to get in.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Correct and Mark had a low score can't remember how many though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

We've gone over this many times and we came to the conclusion that the local community are predominently Asian and are not interested in speedway and as for the rest of the not so local community, they prefer football/cricket ! (Aston Villa/B'ham City/WBA/WCC)

Perhaps Birmingham needs to ask the BSPL to allow turbans instead of helmets to bring in a few locals to the sport ..

• Haha 2

Perhaps they should try to get a young Asian lad on a bike and train him up a bit see where it could lead. 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I went to a Poole v Swindon match whilst on holiday down there about 12 or so years ago

It was a top of the table match and over 5,000 were there that night...

Amazing how much the crowd levels have reduced in Speedway over the last decade or so..

Without too much being learned as to why it would appear...

The Fords made the right decision when they realised the glidepath of travel became downwards not upwards..

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, Jonnybegood said:

Perhaps Birmingham needs to ask the BSPL to allow turbans instead of helmets to bring in a few locals to the sport ..

I always thought that the Tamil Tigers were a Sri Lankan Speedway team...:D

Good to see so many Pirates fans making the journey to Perry Barr last night, haven't seen Steve Shov for about 15 years so good to have a chat.   The Pirates on the min-bus certainly were good voice on arrival and all seemed to make it safe and sound back from their visit to the Wetherspoon's over the road from the Stadium.

On track, clinical stuff from Poole from the off meant it was game, set and match after 3 heats.    

Mini-bus of Brum fans heading down to Wimborne Road for the return next week.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I've followed the sport for 60 years sad to see the poor crowds now. The racing hasn't got worse. At the Abbey in the 70s 3000 was a low crowd, regularly 5 figure crowds, and 17000 at one meeting in 1979, they had to lock the gates. 37 meetings there that year when nearly everyone could afford to attend every week. A quid to get in.

Even in the late nineties I remember coming to Swindon with at least 500 newport fans and the crowd was huge and plenty of Swindon fans, unlike Reading the same year where the Newport fans would double the crowd. 

mad that all three clubs are gone.

• Like 1