British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Leicester 20/07/23

Thoroughly enjoyed last nights meeting, with plenty of passing.

What a terrible decision by referee Simon Humphrey-Kent, when Drew Kemp took a spectacular tumble in Heat 4, where the remaining riders expected the red lights to come on, none more so than Nicolai Klindt, who slowed right down, but no lights came on. That could possibly have cost a race win for Klindt, which would have least given King's Lynn, a draw and the chance of victory in the Super heat.

But that apart, good racing, and congratulations to both team teams, on good performances from both sides.

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

The Aces should close the back straight for a TV meeting and let everyone in the Grandstand for the standing price..

Then fill the back straight with advertising "banners" for their main spnosors..

Wolves, Sheffield and Peterborough should do the same..

And, if not enough sponsors to make it look impactful  enough, then Eurosport and Discovery+ should have large advertising banners there..

Two major brands for Speedway to be seen to be attached to..

Given the camera shows the crowd level on the home straight so clearly, particularly at the Aces, then you would want the stand to look as full as possible..

Fill up from the front and leave rows empty at the back for the TV matches..

Unless of course you can fill it!!!

A big ask that though for a "play off qualifier"...

All sensible suggestions

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

What a terrible decision by referee Simon Humphrey-Kent, when Drew Kemp took a spectacular tumble in Heat 4, where the remaining riders expected the red lights to come on, none more so than Nicolai Klindt, who slowed right down, but no lights came on. That could possibly have cost a race win for Klindt, which would have least given King's Lynn, a draw and the chance of victory in the Super heat.

But that apart, good racing, and congratulations to both team teams, on good performances from both sides.

Klindt was the only one that slowed down. ‘Play to the whistle’, as they say in football.

Lambert struggled early on but was still given 7 rides, which reflects poorly on Lynn’s second strings when it comes to R/R choices. The racing was good and there was some good team riding from both reams. Races can be entertaining without passing.

Dread to think what the attendance would have been without the travelling Lions fans. I was shocked to hear the 50/50 prize amount announced as just over £100. I know that can’t be used to gauge crowd size, but the 50/50 payout at Leicester is always about £350.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

As they in football, play to the whistle. Kemp done well to clear the track to be fair to him. I think the big difference maker was Bomber. When Leicester came in June he scored 2+1, and was erratic to say the least. Last night he rolled back the years on his way to 10+1. 

Nevertheless, a good meeting all round. At times there was some good racing, which was a positive to see. 

Also, from what I saw crowd numbers looked slightly up from the last home meeting against Sheffield so that's a big positive too. 

Just now, Teromaafan said:

Klindt was the only one that slowed down. ‘Play to the whistle’, as they say in football.

Lambert struggled early on but was still given 7 rides, which reflects poorly on Lynn’s second strings when it comes to R/R choices. The racing was good and there was some good team riding from both reams. Races can be entertaining without passing.

Dread to think what the attendance would have been without the travelling Lions fans. I was shocked to hear the 50/50 prize amount announced as just over £100. I know that can’t be used to gauge crowd size, but the 50/50 payout at Leicester is always about £350.

The 50/50 prize amount was a record this season.

Decided to come over for this one to help Buster in his "hour of need" and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it (we did win though!), there was a sprinkling of passing thanks mainly to Bomber and Lambert but the racing was generally fast and close, which will do me. Not sure about @Mimmo's take on Heat 4 as Kemp seemed to go down on his own for me and got up and cleared the track.

Seems to me that a lot of KL fans don't know what they've got, an excellent facility for Speedway, a good race track, not as good as it used to be admittedly, with great viewing from anywhere in the stadium... you're just one rider short of a half decent team, the trouble is that rider is often different from match to match  

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Decided to come over for this one to help Buster in his "hour of need" and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it (we did win though!), there was a sprinkling of passing thanks mainly to Bomber and Lambert but the racing was generally fast and close, which will do me. Not sure about @Mimmo's take on Heat 4 as Kemp seemed to go down on his own for me and got up and cleared the track.

Seems to me that a lot of KL fans don't know what they've got and excellent facility for Speedway, a good race track, not as good as it used to be admittedly, with great viewing from anywhere in the stadium... you're just one rider short of a half decent team, the trouble is that rider is often different from match to match  

According to programme notes and meeting reports, work is being done in the background to bring in a new face. I hope that they're looking at a prospect from the continent with a view to trying to bed them in for the '24 season. 

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Seems to me that a lot of KL fans don't know what they've got, an excellent facility for Speedway, a good race track, not as good as it used to be admittedly, with great viewing from anywhere in the stadium... you're just one rider short of a half decent team, the trouble is that rider is often different from match to match  

Didn't think the racing was up to much until probably the last 3-4 races,so,so slick as the times suggest.It definitely wasn't fast with the times 2-3 seconds slower than normal.Maybe a track in between last night and a normal night would be ideal.As seen there wasn't an outside line until the very last few heats.

On heat 4,imo it should have been re-run for sure,yes Kemp fell on is own but in doing so he hit Rowe and put him slightly off.

3 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Didn't think the racing was up to much until probably the last 3-4 races,so,so slick as the times suggest.It definitely wasn't fast with the times 2-3 seconds slower than normal.Maybe a track in between last night and a normal night would be ideal.As seen there wasn't an outside line until the very last few heats.

On heat 4,imo it should have been re-run for sure,yes Kemp fell on is own but in doing so he hit Rowe and put him slightly off.

I think not having that outside line was a blessing to be honest.Usually once the dirt is out wide thats it,flat out round the boards and no other line to use.Whoever gets to the fence first is away and gone. Speaking of fences, Mr Fricke gave Nk a pretty close look at it! I would have put that move on the dirty side of hard racing.

4 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

Speaking of fences, Mr Fricke gave Nk a pretty close look at it! I would have put that move on the dirty side of hard racing.

Saw that and it almost looked like Klindt apologised to Fricke after the race!

11 minutes ago, tellboy said:

There does not need to be passing for it to be a good race, competitive racing can be just as good, 2-3 seconds slower than normal is still pretty fast I would say, often slower can appear faster if the riders are all close together and not strung out around the track. Doesn't need a dirt line to have passing, Bomber did most of his passing on the inside

1 minute ago, iainb said:

There does not need to be passing for it to be a good race, competitive racing can be just as good, 2-3 seconds slower than normal is still pretty fast I would say, often slower can appear faster if the riders are all close together and not strung out around the track. Doesn't need a dirt line to have passing, Bomber did most of his passing on the inside

Yes he did.You could see him lining his victim up half a lap before.He is one rider I would have loved to see do a season as a star. 

31 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

I think not having that outside line was a blessing to be honest.Usually once the dirt is out wide thats it,flat out round the boards and no other line to use.Whoever gets to the fence first is away and gone. Speaking of fences, Mr Fricke gave Nk a pretty close look at it! I would have put that move on the dirty side of hard racing.

I still think the track needs to be in between.Lambert was very critical of the track,saying it wasn't even national league standard as it was just too easy to ride.They were having problems with the tyres too,that to me shows it was well to slick and basically riding on the base.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I still think the track needs to be in between.Lambert was very critical of the track,saying it wasn't even national league standard as it was just too easy to ride.They were having problems with the tyres too,that to me shows it was well to slick and basically riding on the base.

You could well be right,  but for what its worth i think the racing was as close or closer than most meetings and so was the result .Lamberts first 4 races he didn't ride very well and went too wide letting others pass,but Anders Rowe looked sharp early on and Kye Thompson looked more on the pace as well.The biggest let down in my opinion wasn't the track  it was Thomas Jorgensen,  and his score was probably the biggest single contributing factor to us losing last night, that and NK nearly being fenced, but I won't go on about that