British Speedway Forum
justathought

WHY DO YOU BOTHER ?

6 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

Are people happy to spend the best part of  £70/80 if it’s a family for a sprinkling of entertainment with the economic situation is the way it is? I’d happily stand around till 10pm if it’s an entertaining meeting but I can’t remember the last exciting one we had at the Showground. 

Totally agree... you should post what you feel, don't be upset if people don't agree with you though. I only cited this in context to the title of the thread. Attending a meeting in person or watching it on TV can be two completely different experiences.

There was some good stuff last night... it wasn't maybe "exciting" but just watching Sayfutdinov and Doyle was Speedway purist pleasure

2 hours ago, justathought said:

I used to quite enjoy looking on these forms, people used to actually talk about Speedway and all the good things it has to offer.

However, more recently it seems to be generally full of people who do nothing but moan, complain, are rude and just down right nasty. It's full of comments that have no relevance to the truth or are just made up rubbish. Arrogant self-opinionated people, who obviously have nothing better to do with their life other than put people down and think they are either funny, clever, or both.  

It really is simple. Perhaps have an open mind to things, stop trying to see a conspiracy in everything and that people are trying to rip you off all the time. 

It's a fantastic sport. Enjoy it, go and watch a meeting on a lovely summer's evening, except it for what it is.................... Get a grip.  

Accept even...lol

Not matter what the opinion is on here one thing is certain we all want speedway to get a grip & sort itself out. The comments on here have become more negative & I’ll include myself in that. The negativity is however in-line with the on going line of decline that the sport is witnessing.

It’s all very well saying get a grip it’s a great sport go & watch it but the reality is those who are willing to do that is declining at an every faster rate.

I used to genuinely love my speedway & I had my rose tinted specs on for years.

My watershed moment came about 15 years ago when the rules were changed mid season around the elite league play offs. In a heart beat I went from attend every week to 4 or 5 times a season, when I finally got fed up with the ever increasing number of riders missing meetings, the guest fest & out of control doubling up. This saw me stop attending all together, although the past couple of years I have gone once or twice as a night out to catch with with the group who used to go to speedway.

From the age of 10 though to 32 Speedway was my sport Ipswich my team, however I lost interest in the sport & my emotional attachment to my team because of the reasons above. 

This year I have been to Foxhall more times than since 2009 the reason is the racing has been good in the main & the Emil factor.

However it’s a night out I don’t attend as a passionate Ipswich fan because I can’t get that level of attachment any longer hence can’t see myself being a regular again.

on the flip side the way Ipswich is ran & presented gives an insight into how speedway could look given half a chance. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This entire forum is about engaging with other fans. Talking about racing, tracks, transfers, old times etc and obviously with all this comes moaning. I understand people may not like moaning all the time but quite frankly the British are the best at it. It's not only speedway where fans moan. It's in every sport. It's all doom n gloom and if there is sport where moaning is at its highest..it's probably speedway and rightly so. If you've been going for number of years even decades and you see your beloved sport slowing dying right Infront of you, you are going to get moaning and groaning and miserable old farts thinking the world is going to end. I moan, but I moan not only about speedway but the ashes recently, my club west ham not signing anyone and pretty much everything I buy in a supermarket. Moaning is what the forum is almost built for. Have a winge, have a laugh and get some opinions off your chest. I love the moaning personally. I stand with people every week at Leicester who moan and groan about the speedway world but we always end up laughing about in at the end. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, iainb said:

Last night I posted a few times on the KL v Ippo thread, somebody posted that the racing was crap and there wouldn't be any overtaking, every time there was an over take I commented on it... absolutely nobody else did, all anybody wanted to comment on was how crap the racing was and Buster this, Buster that

I think most of us on here see the racing itself as as good at any time of its life, and are quick to say it as often as we can..

The marketing and operating model of it though is, quite correctly, questioned and called out for not being fit for purpose if you ever want the sport to move forwards....

Constructive criticism is vital for growth if you are open minded enough to accept it, and, more importantly, use it..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Let's be honest speedway is a superb spectacle but the structure of the British premier League and the things that are allowed to go on and the way it's managed is a joke...so of course people are going to moan as it's just unprofessional and can't be taken seriously as a proper sport not because of the riders but because of the infrastructure and the way it's governed.

• Like 4

I have to admit, I most look forward to people's opinions on how a match will go & see if I agree with the majority. Sadly I tend to find 6 pages talking about the weather, 3 pages talking about clubs that don't stream (on Glasgow & Oxford pages) and 1 page actually talking about the match.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I have to admit, I most look forward to people's opinions on how a match will go & see if I agree with the majority. Sadly I tend to find 6 pages talking about the weather, 3 pages talking about clubs that don't stream (on Glasgow & Oxford pages) and 1 page actually talking about the match.

You're missing the one page about Poole (on every thread).

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

You're missing the one page about Poole (on every thread).

Beat me to it...

But I would have said two....:D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chrismorton said:

Let's be honest speedway is a superb spectacle but the structure of the British premier League and the things that are allowed to go on and the way it's managed is a joke...so of course people are going to moan as it's just unprofessional and can't be taken seriously as a proper sport not because of the riders but because of the infrastructure and the way it's governed.

I still maintain (as someone who has watched a lot of other sports live) that a decent speedway race is still, for me, the best and most exciting thing! This thrill of seeing another rider chase down and pass another at 60mph is still exhilarating! I feel lucky that at both Foxhall and Owlerton this season I have seen a fair few decent passes like that.

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 3

Speedway is awful value for money.

Cricket's new tournament (The Hundred) provides you with 5 hours of entertainment and all at a reasonable price. They also have DJs at the grounds.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BassoRacingFan said:

Speedway is awful value for money.

Cricket's new tournament (The Hundred) provides you with 5 hours of entertainment and all at a reasonable price. They also have DJs at the grounds.

Cricket has been re inventing itself for a while and it's brilliant. Speedway could a thing or two from it

1 hour ago, DiveBomb said:

Cricket has been re inventing itself for a while and it's brilliant. Speedway could a thing or two from it

I agree! I watched the hundred on tv the other night the thing looked very modern. Even the graphics on screen were far to hip for cricket!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chrismorton said:

And we're all expected to turn up and pay £20+ for the privilege.

6 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

It has - years ago country cricket was dying in its backside so they came up with new versions - it’s irritated and lost some of the purists however but gained a new generation of followers - sadly lot more money in cricket! 

Speedway has - to be fair - made many technical changes and also other ‘innovations’ over the years - just last year the golden heat caused much debate - many in here seemed dead against it - but when I witnessed one of these in front of about 2000 people at Foxhall it was a massive hit! 

same with the playoffs they merely followed the trend of other sports - again many are not a fan of them yet they are the most dramatic and well attended meetings of the entire season 

Edited by GeneralMelchett