British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paul84

Kent Vs Workington 6/8/23 12:00

After today’s announcement that the Leicester meeting is off the Comets supporters bus continues onto Kent ready to make some noise for our meeting tomorrow.

Number 1 & British U21 Champion Connor Bailey is on the bus fuelled with a Burger King ready to rack up the points tomorrow! 

Looking forward to the meeting

Give is a C!!!!

• Like 2

Bit of a poor show by  Kent's supporters!! Comets fans on the long drive to Kent having to post to publise the meeting, enjoy boys :drink:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neila said:

Bit of a poor show by  Kent's supporters!! Comets fans on the long drive to Kent having to post to publise the meeting, enjoy boys :drink:

A few beers tonight, then the blue and white banners will be up at Kent tomorrow! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Perhaps because they have other things on their mind at the moment.

Not much to shout about for the Kent "go fund me" Royals. New signing not available, RR and average (cheap) guest plus questionable unattached 3 pointer choice. Throw in poor weather in the build up and varied forecast but lack or re-arrangement dates pushes the match ahead. Could be make or massive break for Kent this weekend. 

Sorry have not seen details of go fund me or what difficulties Kent maybe in !!

But surely need to promote what is an attractive fixture 

Edited by Neila

1 hour ago, Neila said:

What’s your prediction?

2 hours ago, Neila said:

Club Statement about the GoFundMe

I would like to ease your minds about the GoFundMe that was started this week.

The history behind the request is this. I am the main sponsor of the club. Last august, as some of you may remember, I had to have heart surgery because of a disease called Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy.  At the time, I also owned Iwade Garage, who you will recall as being the teams title sponsors in 2021 and 2022. Due to staffing problems, and then combined with my cardiac issue, it was necessary to give back the lease on the garage as the time being spent in the workshop drew me away from my actual job - Consulting Chief Security Officer.  

In December my mum Ros, who many of you will have seen on the gate with her dog Grace, went into hospital, where she had open heart surgery.  After complications she finally came home in June, but the visiting and staying on top of the medics who didn't listen, it meant I was further diverted from my day job. 

We came into the 2023 season without a named title sponsor - because this year its fallen to me personally.

Normally, a home match sets you up financially for the away leg, but we have two away trips coming up, and the abandonment of the Oxford match at home, and the subsequent home match taking a lesser gate as fans used their re-entry, means that the clubs bank account was severely depleted. The need to purchase the tyres for the remainder of the season added to the financial woes. My priority is always to ensure that our riders are paid promptly - for without them, we do not have a club.

As I haven't been working as much in the last 8 months, then my reserves were also depleted. Although I am back consulting, it takes time for clients to settle their invoices. 

The support that those who have contributed to the GoFundMe has given the club is heartfelt, and I thank each and everyone of you for that support. I am also greatful to every paying fan who comes to our home matches, and I ask you to get behind the club and come along to as many meetings as you can, and give the riders the support to urge them on to win. 

We have six matches left, and the fight isnt over for the Royals. However, I need to do what my cardiac consultant tells me, I need to ease up a bit, I will need at some point in the future more surgery, hence my words in the programme recently. Its not just me that puts hours into running things, my whole family helps. Many of you know my mum from the main gate, who as I said has been very ill recently and still has a long road to full health, Andrea who helps on the gate and helps massively behind the scenes too, and my son Drew from the sweet stall. Drew is planning to head off to University in September, and Andrea has another operation coming up at the end of this month. I have kept The Royals going for two years post Uncle Len but we are unable to commit as much time going forward. Therefore if anyone is interested in coming on board  then please do speak to me.

6 hours ago, paul84 said:

What’s your prediction?

48-42 to comets 

14 hours ago, arnieg said:

The history behind the request is this. I am the main sponsor of the club. Last august, as some of you may remember, I had to have heart surgery because of a disease called Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy.  At the time, I also owned Iwade Garage, who you will recall as being the teams title sponsors in 2021 and 2022. Due to staffing problems, and then combined with my cardiac issue, it was necessary to give back the lease on the garage as the time being spent in the workshop drew me away from my actual job - Consulting Chief Security Officer.  

In December my mum Ros, who many of you will have seen on the gate with her dog Grace, went into hospital, where she had open heart surgery.  After complications she finally came home in June, but the visiting and staying on top of the medics who didn't listen, it meant I was further diverted from my day job. 

We came into the 2023 season without a named title sponsor - because this year its fallen to me personally.

Normally, a home match sets you up financially for the away leg, but we have two away trips coming up, and the abandonment of the Oxford match at home, and the subsequent home match taking a lesser gate as fans used their re-entry, means that the clubs bank account was severely depleted. The need to purchase the tyres for the remainder of the season added to the financial woes. My priority is always to ensure that our riders are paid promptly - for without them, we do not have a club.

As I haven't been working as much in the last 8 months, then my reserves were also depleted. Although I am back consulting, it takes time for clients to settle their invoices. 

The support that those who have contributed to the GoFundMe has given the club is heartfelt, and I thank each and everyone of you for that support. I am also greatful to every paying fan who comes to our home matches, and I ask you to get behind the club and come along to as many meetings as you can, and give the riders the support to urge them on to win. 

We have six matches left, and the fight isnt over for the Royals. However, I need to do what my cardiac consultant tells me, I need to ease up a bit, I will need at some point in the future more surgery, hence my words in the programme recently. Its not just me that puts hours into running things, my whole family helps. Many of you know my mum from the main gate, who as I said has been very ill recently and still has a long road to full health, Andrea who helps on the gate and helps massively behind the scenes too, and my son Drew from the sweet stall. Drew is planning to head off to University in September, and Andrea has another operation coming up at the end of this month. I have kept The Royals going for two years post Uncle Len but we are unable to commit as much time going forward. Therefore if anyone is interested in coming on board  then please do speak to me.

Is there a link to the Go Fund me page ?, found it https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-royals-survive

Edited by heathen52

Expected a win their today but just 2 race winners some words needed to be spoken to a few guys 

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

Good luck with everything you have going on especially your health.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Expected a win their today but just 2 race winners some words needed to be spoken to a few guys 

Four races won, still a disappointing result though.

Disappointing from a Comets perspective but probably a fair reflection of just where we are as a team.  Again it appears that Comets were generally outgated something which has been all too evident in our home fixtures.  We didn't win a race until heat 12 then won the last 4, unfortunately we also ran a lasts in 3 of those heats so failed to take a heat advantage. 

Ace had an off day but you can't knock a rider who falls or gets excluded trying to pass an oponent. Connor seemed to get properly dialed in later in the meeting and won heat 15 passing both home riders on the last bend. 

Guest for Kent Matt Marson from Belle Vue had a good 10 point return for the Royals. Not bad for a guy on a 5.81average but disappointing from a Comets point of view.