British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paul84

Kent Vs Workington 6/8/23 12:00

14 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Disappointing from a Comets perspective but probably a fair reflection of just where we are as a team.  Again it appears that Comets were generally outgated something which has been all too evident in our home fixtures.  We didn't win a race until heat 12 then won the last 4, unfortunately we also ran a lasts in 3 of those heats so failed to take a heat advantage. 

Ace had an off day but you can't knock a rider who falls or gets excluded trying to pass an oponent. Connor seemed to get properly dialed in later in the meeting and won heat 15 passing both home riders on the last bend. 

Guest for Kent Matt Marson from Belle Vue had a good 10 point return for the Royals. Not bad for a guy on a 5.81average but disappointing from a Comets point of view.

I think ace tries a bit to hard at times,but 10 from a guest is hard to beat!

Just came up short today, tough track to pass on. Well done to our lads for their efforts today hopefully we can get the aggregate point on the return leg.

Plenty of noise from the travelling  Comets fans!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, comet49 said:

Four races won, still a disappointing result though.

Yeah last four heats won by Comets...but four lasts.

Did anyone there find time to count the crowd numbers?.....I mean it won't have been difficult, or taken long.:t:

16 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Yeah last four heats won by Comets...but four lasts.

Did anyone there find time to count the crowd numbers?.....I mean it won't have been difficult, or taken long.:t:

Poor weather leading up plus grasstrack masters nearby will have certainly caused a hit to the crowd. Definitely a decent travelling support though and no lack of willing fromnthe away side but inability to gate cost them dearly. Ace unlucky with his first excusion and was on the back foot from there. Kent probably let a few more points slip through non existant team riding and potentially the bonus point with it. 

28 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Poor weather leading up plus grasstrack masters nearby will have certainly caused a hit to the crowd. Definitely a decent travelling support though and no lack of willing fromnthe away side but inability to gate cost them dearly. Ace unlucky with his first excusion and was on the back foot from there. Kent probably let a few more points slip through non existant team riding and potentially the bonus point with it. 

Cheers marra...................have you, or has anyone else, got any photos of the Royals track pls ?

I've mentioned it in a previous post but way back in the early 1970's my late wife and I visited her aunt in Sittingbourne, summertime.   I had seen in a speedway publication mentions of a track at Iwade - so off we went to look for it (satnav, what was that?).....We found it but my fading memory has me thinking it was grass track with a rope fencing us off from the action.......but we enjoyed it, then set off for the nights action at Canterbury Crusaders versus our beloved Comets....big crowd, big defeat...still a good experience though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul84 said:

Just came up short today, tough track to pass on. Well done to our lads for their efforts today hopefully we can get the aggregate point on the return leg.

Plenty of noise from the travelling  Comets fans!

Big well done all you fans that made the journey, Sittingbourne is a long way from Workington . I was thinking about doing both meetings but the forecast for Saturday knocked it on the head for me personally.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Big well done all you fans that made the journey, Sittingbourne is a long way from Workington . I was thinking about doing both meetings but the forecast for Saturday knocked it on the head for me personally.

We had a night out in Sittingbourne last night with Leicester being rained off. Enjoyed the meeting today plus another track ticked off I’d never been to. About 2.5 hours off home now …….

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paul84 said:

We had a night out in Sittingbourne last night with Leicester being rained off. Enjoyed the meeting today plus another track ticked off I’d never been to. About 2.5 hours off home now …….

What were the track and facilities like....and a rough idea of attendance pls.

I go a couple of times a season, including past Crusaders matches and when an even lower level Crayford raced there, so am used to the facilities. I'll leave it to others to answer, as I may have a bias. However, during one of the grading intervals, I did a rough distant headcount, from my place on the back straight, and got to just over 300. 

Connor Bailey's win in heat 15 was the best race I've ever seen at the track and Ace Pijper was also unlucky throughout, actually trying to race; his heat 9 exclusion could have gone either way from what I saw but Tom Woolley is an honest guy , so I will accept there was contact. It seems the current promotion are trying to get things right. I was at a FA Cup tie 10 miles away on Saturday and it rained all day, including 3 torrential downpours, so I was surprised the meeting was on, let alone with a track needing regular watering, so well done to all linked to the promotion. Hope they succeed.     

21 hours ago, singy13 said:

Cheers marra...................have you, or has anyone else, got any photos of the Royals track pls ?

I've mentioned it in a previous post but way back in the early 1970's my late wife and I visited her aunt in Sittingbourne, summertime.   I had seen in a speedway publication mentions of a track at Iwade - so off we went to look for it (satnav, what was that?).....We found it but my fading memory has me thinking it was grass track with a rope fencing us off from the action.......but we enjoyed it, then set off for the nights action at Canterbury Crusaders versus our beloved Comets....big crowd, big defeat...still a good experience though.

Use Google maps with the post code ME9 8SP to get an idea of what the track and surrounding area looks like from the air.

Dave Payne was also there so he may have some photos of what the track looks like at the ground level.

2 hours ago, bigdave said:

Use Google maps with the post code ME9 8SP to get an idea of what the track and surrounding area looks like from the air.

Dave Payne was also there so he may have some photos of what the track looks like at the ground level.

Thanks bigdave.....had a look at google shots.  Looks like two tracks - I presume training is on the agenda for both of them?

The overall view seems spartan to say the least - car parking would appear to be difficult.

But good luck to all who keep this Royals venture going - I have read the statement from who appears to be the 'main man', and have every sympathy with him and his probs.