British Speedway Forum

So whats the rule for using guests in the play-offs? Can a rider only guest for one team, assuming the 8-day guest rule also still applies?!

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So whats the rule for using guests in the play-offs? Can a rider only guest for one team, assuming the 8-day guest rule also still applies?!

That would represent common sense so probably not.

50 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe it’s one team per mini-league.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

From memory, I think you could use 2 double point tactical rides per match at that time. Over the 2 legs Peterborough used 4 and Reading used none.

Wasn't it something like Peterborough being 16 down with 3 races to go and scored two 8-1s and a 5-1 to finish? Something crazy like that anyway.

Yes!! That rings a bell. Wasn't Richard Hall the hero for Peterborough. 

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes!! That rings a bell. Wasn't Richard Hall the hero for Peterborough. 

That's right. He was. I remember the manner of the win caused quite a furore at the time, and I think it led to just one TR per meeting being allowed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grachan said:

That's right. He was. I remember the manner of the win caused quite a furore at the time, and I think it led to just one TR per meeting being allowed.

A furore on here imagine that.

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

012.1.1b Championship League

Championship League, teams will meet on 2 occasions, 1 home and 1 away. The top 6 clubs qualify for the play offs going into 2 groups of 3. The team who finishes top will select their 2 group members, the other 3  qualifying clubs make up the second group. The winners of each group will contest a 2 legged final home and away with the aggregate winner being crowned the Championship League Champions.

A rider who’s team is not in the play offs may only guest for one team in each group of the play offs. Excluding the final.

A rider may only guest for one team in any 2 legged tie (home and away).

On 9/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I’ll be at whatever leg of the final is at Ashfield…

Edinburgh and Glasgow currently sitting top of their respective groups.

Could we be in for a repeat of the 2015 Final?

On 9/11/2023 at 8:49 PM, szkocjasid said:

Rory Schlein looks the best pick imo, he could be busy 4 matches for Edinburgh & 4 for Redcar (providing fixtures don't clash). Just looked he could ride in 7 fixtures.

Howarth looks the best pick if he's back to full health

4 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Howarth looks the best pick if he's back to full health

Can replace Cook, but only home matches for Wright.

After the first day of the Champ play-offs the results have certainly made it interesting. Scunthorpe gaining an unexpected "draw" at Poole and a 10 point win for Oxford that means the bonus point could go both ways.

I wonder if they'll stick with the groups format next year?

One issue is so many clubs racing on their off day, plus the struggles to arrange postponed fixtures.

If it was a simple knockout & Edinburgh vs Poole is rained off, you can pick the next Friday, as it is, the following week Edinburgh could be racing Scunthorpe, then Poole vs Scunthorpe etc.

I know they want as many teams in the play-offs as possible (to earn money) but do clubs get big crowds when racing on their off race nights?

14 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I wonder if they'll stick with the groups format next year?

One issue is so many clubs racing on their off day, plus the struggles to arrange postponed fixtures.

If it was a simple knockout & Edinburgh vs Poole is rained off, you can pick the next Friday, as it is, the following week Edinburgh could be racing Scunthorpe, then Poole vs Scunthorpe etc.

I know they want as many teams in the play-offs as possible (to earn money) but do clubs get big crowds when racing on their off race nights?

1v4 & 2v3 would have ensured 4 competitive teams and as you say much easier to reschedule rainoffs

2 minutes ago, KrisB said:

1v4 & 2v3 would have ensured 4 competitive teams and as you say much easier to reschedule rainoffs

3v6 and 4v5 would work, and would remove 4 fixtures from the playoffs.

Starting on time would help a bit too.

19 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Glasgow and Edinburgh definitely both struggled for attendance today. Glasgow’s match clashed with the Celtic game, which I’m sure didn’t help.