British Speedway Forum

As just turned 15's Brennan averaged 4 while Boughen averaged 5.

BUT Brennan had 4+ years of youth experience beforehand. Boughen about 4 weeks

In his first full NDL season when turning 16 he averaged 7.21. Boughen is currently averaging 7.31

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Have you seen a kid that literally only turned 16 last week trying to compete with the best riders in this country? He went from NDL racing to competing in the Premiership practically overnight. Give him a break (and some time).

P.S: He's also been struggling with bike issues, no?

I believe Mike Lee is helping with his engines.

3 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I believe Mike Lee is helping with his engines.

Poor lad 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I've seen riders like him come and unfortunately go through the years. I'm not for one minute suggesting it's his fault but there does seem to be a lot of hype about this kid from certain quarters, he's even got his own thread on this Forum! Not sure why that's all

The only 16 year old I've ever seen come into the sport and instantly start scoring points was Joe Screen and that was in the top league too!

In 1975 Mike lee averaged 9.04 for 2nd division Boston and 7.43 for Lynn in the to flight. He was born in Dec  1958. Was he 16? my brain has frazzled. Rob Lambert, wasn't he 16 when he rode for Lynn as well.

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

In 1975 Mike lee averaged 9.04 for 2nd division Boston and 7.43 for Lynn in the to flight. He was born in Dec  1958. Was he 16? my brain has frazzled. Rob Lambert, wasn't he 16 when he rode for Lynn as well.

He may have done but didn't Lambert spend some time in the lower leagues? I think Loram also started with Hackney in the lower league. Screeny came straight into the top flight with Belle Vue and never rode in the lower leagues until his career started to tail off (from memory)

2 hours ago, iainb said:

He may have done but didn't Lambert spend some time in the lower leagues? I think Loram also started with Hackney in the lower league. Screeny came straight into the top flight with Belle Vue and never rode in the lower leagues until his career started to tail off (from memory)

Hackney in the then lower league  in these days was probably harder than todays Premiership.IMO 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

You could be right there. I know there wasn't a lower league when Mike started. I have been keeping an eye on Ashton as he's a Lynn lad, and used to go to the wife's primary school with his brother. Even back then, both brothers that had  immaculate MX kit. Being British MX champ and world No.8. He must be a focused and determined lad.   

Edited by Bald Bloke

59 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

You could be right there. I know there wasn't a lower league when Mike started. I have been keeping an eye on Ashton as he's a Lynn lad, and used to go to the wife's primary school with his brother. Even back then, both brothers that had  immaculate MX kit. Being British MX champ and world No.8. He must be a focused and determined lad.   

I think Kenny Cater went straight into the Halifax team and doubled up with Newcastle, was averaging over 8 within a season... they don't hit the scene like that anymore but I suppose the overall quality of rider is higher these days

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

ianb, Kenny Carter rode for Newcastle in 1978 as reserve and took part in 41 matches with 1 full maximum 5 paid maximums

and ended up with an average of 7.58, he also rode in 16 matches for the Halifax Dukes and ended up with an average of 5.40.

On my way to see a Newcastle away meeting I called in to Kings Lynn Speedway in 1986 where he happened to be riding for the

Bradford Team and it turned out to be his last match because the next thing I read about was that he had shot his wife dead and

then killed himself.

Bob 

Edited by scampispeedway

Gary Havelock first season at Middlesbrough in 1985, was averaging over 7. 1986 season over 8. He also rode 15 meetings for Bradford in 1986, and was averaging over 7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

The National League was the lower league when Mike Lee started but it certainly was very high standard .It was not junior riders as the NDL is today.Like you saying Ashton although new to speedway  certainly knows how to ride a motorbike.In Lee ‘s day most of the youngsters  from the Grasstrack scene.

8 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

ianb, Kenny Carter rode for Newcastle in 1978 as reserve and took part in 41 matches with 1 full maximum 5 paid maximums

and ended up with an average of 7.58, he also rode in 16 matches for the Halifax Dukes and ended up with an average of 5.40.

On my way to see a Newcastle away meeting I called in to Kings Lynn Speedway in 1986 where he happened to be riding for the

Bradford Team and it turned out to be his last match because the next thing I read about was that he had shot his wife dead and

then killed himself.

Bob 

Still, a pretty meteoric rise

Time will tell if young Ashton becomes as talented in his teenage years as the likes of Lee, Collins, Morton, Carter, Havelock, Loram, Screen and more recently Woffinden, Bewley and Lambert.

Hopefully he will be guided well and steered away from distractions that have befallen some other young riders over the years.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, scampispeedway said:

then killed himself.

Bob 

Who is Bob?

Nickinho, someone who used to follow speedway 1964-2005 but no longer go because the entertainment spectacle I saw every passing year

diminished to a point where I said to myself that is it and spent my money elsewhere.

Bob