British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Dennis Gavros RIP

Sad news posted by one of Dennis' family on Facebook. A former Halifax and Hull rider from the 60's and early 70's,  Dennis passed away yesterday aged 80.

Edited by frigbo
  • Sad 3

Dennis rode for Sunderland for a short time.

R.I.P. + Dennis

Another one gone.

RIP

• Sad 1

sad to here that, he was always willing to give advice when i rode at Halifax, second half's etc, good  guy . 

• Like 1

I recall Dennis very well and sad to hear this. Great guy. One question after Gavy retired as a rider did he stay in England for a few years before finally returning to Aussia?

56 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

I recall Dennis very well and sad to hear this. Great guy. One question after Gavy retired as a rider did he stay in England for a few years before finally returning to Aussia?

He spent a few years as Halifax team manager before heading back to Adelaide in 1986.

• Like 1

Thanx Chunky- I always think of Gavy along with Bob Jameson and Bert Kingston- I think they are both still with us- Bob is around 81 now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chunky said:

He spent a few years as Halifax team manager before heading back to Adelaide in 1986.

During his time as Team Manager he once questioned Kenny Carter's commitment/team spirit to the team which annoyed then promoter Eric Boothroyd. Dennis quit during that winter (1983) to concentrate on his garage businees.

He had a brother, Jimmy, who died in a track crash in Aussie I think. Solid second string with the Dukes and part of the furniture at The Shay.

RIP.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 6:57 AM, steve roberts said:

During his time as Team Manager he once questioned Kenny Carter's commitment/team spirit to the team which annoyed then promoter Eric Boothroyd. Dennis quit during that winter (1983) to concentrate on his garage businees.

He had a second hand car dealership in Denholme,not far from Halifax.I think Dennis was possibly the second man in British speedway to use the ESO/Jawa speedway bike.I think Rim Malskeitis,and i have probably spelt that wrong,at Long Eaton was the first,although i stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, salty said:

He had a brother, Jimmy, who died in a track crash in Aussie I think. Solid second string with the Dukes and part of the furniture at The Shay.

RIP.

That was the main reason he initially retired. Jimmy was killed on 23rd January, 1970, at Rowley Park, and Dennis never reappeared for that season.

Derrickn mentioned in his post Rim Malkaitis, that's a name I haven't thought of in years. I recall him riding for Long Eaton in 1965 (the greatest year)-hopefully still with us-does anybody know.

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Derrickn mentioned in his post Rim Malkaitis, that's a name I haven't thought of in years. I recall him riding for Long Eaton in 1965 (the greatest year)-hopefully still with us-does anybody know.

He died 23rd November, 2020.

Sad news.

In my mind, Dennis was the Halifax team manager, at least in my early seasons watching the Dukes. Remember his garage, at Denholme, on a sharp bend in the Halifax-Keighley road.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

When Halifax 're-opened in1965,Long Eaton were the first visitors,and on a rainy night in front of 11.000 fans ran out victors by 41-37.Rim must have been riding that night,but it was a young Ray Wilson who caught the eye.I still remember that night,if only we could turn the speedway clock back to those great days.

• Like 2