British Speedway Forum
iainb

Drugs - Just Say No!

8 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

In greyhound racing every dog was sampled pre-meeting, it became too costly so now a GBG Steward comes in unannounced and takes random samples, some pre race and some post race. The track stewards can also request a sample if they consider it nessesary after a race.

Who tests the Hare? They never catch it :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I read somewhere on here someone saying that you always hear about positive drug tests, but we never hear of any meetings where tests were done and all was OK.

Interesting that this is now on the SCB website

During the month of August two events were selected for Alcohol and Drug Testing...

• Belle Vue v Workington - NDL - Friday 25th August 2023
• Poole v Birmingham - Championship - Wednesday 30th August 2023
At both event's four riders (two from each team) were randomly selected and in all cases all riders produced a negative result.

The SCB will continually select fixtures for random testing.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

I read somewhere on here someone saying that you always hear about positive drug tests, but we never hear of any meetings where tests were done and all was OK.

Interesting that this is now on the SCB website

During the month of August two events were selected for Alcohol and Drug Testing...

• Belle Vue v Workington - NDL - Friday 25th August 2023
• Poole v Birmingham - Championship - Wednesday 30th August 2023
At both event's four riders (two from each team) were randomly selected and in all cases all riders produced a negative result.

The SCB will continually select fixtures for random testing.

That's not a lot really is it? Makes the fact that they've had 3 non-negative results since the 12th of July all the more worrying

• Like 1

its a good job the riders dont react like you lot have or else no one would be racing. i dont think any riders worry about, i wonder if that rider is on drugs or alcoholic before they race. if they did they would say something.

5 minutes ago, DazS said:

its a good job the riders dont react like you lot have or else no one would be racing. i dont think any riders worry about, i wonder if that rider is on drugs or alcoholic before they race. if they did they would say something.

Do you not think the riders know full well which other riders take or have taken recreational drugs? It’s like with the silencer issue. Many knew who were doing an “Eddie” but felt it wasn’t their place to dob a fellow rider in

• Like 1

Just now, Wee Eck said:

Do you not think the riders know full well which other riders take or have taken recreational drugs? It’s like with the silencer issue. Many knew who were doing an “Eddie” but felt it wasn’t their place to dob a fellow rider in

they must not think their lives are at risk as much as you lot do. 

DURGS! JUST SAY NO!.

Was written boldly on the side of a train holding shed just outside Picc station in Manchester in the eighties...

I was on the way to Old Trafford and read it as I went past one Saturday on the way to the match...

The following match I looked again to the see if the graffiti had been removed, it hadn't, and instead someone had added...

DYSLEXIA JUST SAY ON!:D

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

Has anybody read what Edinburgh Director Mike Hunter has said on Facebook? 

Drugs - Just Say Yes!

https://twitter.com/SocialSpeedway/status/1700416387661832240?s=20

Unbelievable!

It's a perfectly valid argument, reasonably expressed. After all speedway culture often encourages and celebrates drug use. 

I was once handed drugs on the centre green by the Leicester management to give to a 15 year old rider.

• Sad 1

the word drugs from paracetamol to heroin, :shock:, all riders get a drug when they are riding its called adrenalin, people need to try it.:drink:

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

Has anybody read what Edinburgh Director Mike Hunter has said on Facebook? 

Drugs - Just Say Yes!

https://twitter.com/SocialSpeedway/status/1700416387661832240?s=20

Unbelievable!

I've just read Mike Hunters comments and fully support them. I consider he's clearly defined the difference between medication and enhancing substances.

Excellent common sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I've just read Mike Hunters comments and fully support them. I consider he's clearly defined the difference between medication and enhancing substances.

Excellent common sense.

It's a view I suppose... he's seriously suggesting that driving a car is comparable to racing professional competitive motor sport. 

I can't believe a director of a Speedway club is advocating riders pumping themselves full of steroids/HGH in order to be competitive. Speedway is struggling enough to be taken seriously this would be the final straw for many I would suspect, the media would drop it in a heartbeat for starters.

He says Speedway falls into line with sports like athletics or weightlifting, not quite true, it falls into line with almost all other professional sports.

He's also suggesting that riders are required to walk in a straight line or something before a meeting to test whether they're "fit" to ride.

I think he's had one dram too many before writing that post!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's a view I suppose... he's seriously suggesting that driving a car is comparable to racing professional competitive motor sport. 

I can't believe a director of a Speedway club is advocating riders pumping themselves full of steroids/HGH in order to be competitive. Speedway is struggling enough to be taken seriously this would be the final straw for many I would suspect, the media would drop it in a heartbeat for starters.

He says Speedway falls into line with sports like athletics or weightlifting, not quite true, it falls into line with almost all other professional sports.

He's also suggesting that riders are required to walk in a straight line or something before a meeting to test whether they're "fit" to ride.

I think he's had one dram too many before writing that post!

I agree. You need strength to ride a speedway bike. So, the stronger and fitter you are, the easier it is to ride a bike. So if folk are gaining strength through performance enhancing drugs, that's giving them an unfair advantage. That's why Mike's post is wrong.

Furthermore, even in sports where being athletic is not the be all and end all, overall fitness and strength is still a factor. The better physical condition you are in, the sharper you will be mentally and less likely to fatigue. It's no coincidence that when Tiger Woods* was dominating golf, he was also the fittest bloke on the course or Ronnie O'Sullivan's passion for running has kept him at the peak of the game for longer than we might have predicted.

*that said, I wouldn't be amazed if Tiger Woods had dabbled in a few PEDs back in the day